PDA

View Full Version : What is it about this place?

DisneyDustin22
04-13-2004, 12:31 AM
There's something about Disneyland. You all know what I'm talking about. Just something, you can't describe, but you can feel it. Example...

At Magic Mountain, I thrive for the thrills and run like crazy to get in line for X. At Disneyland, I run like crazy for Mr Toad?

When the train goes through the Grand Canyon and the land of the dinosaurs, I see the fake volcano with red tin foil lava and the dinosaurs that move back and forth about 3 inches. And I enjoy it. But then I see a movie with huge special effects and fake explosions and it bothers me. I say, look how fake that looks?

When I see Maynard being one of his many characters, I consider myself lucky and enjoy the experience. When I go to Magic Mtn and the CM working Viper tries to crack a joke on the PA system, I dont laugh and just wish he would do his job, let me on the ride.

I see a little kid scream "Mickey!" and run to a giant costumed mouse, happy as can be, and i say, how cute. The I yell, "Goofy!" and run to a giant costumed dog. forgetting I am an adult.

When I go to other theme parks, I utilize my time to make the most of every second to ride as much as I can. At Disneyland, I could sit at the hub for an hour, during peak, I sit at the main street station around 1030 and watch the "sea of people" make their way home, not worrying about valuable ride time I'm losing.

I have cried before when leaving Disneyland and wasnt sure why.

There are plenty of other "feelings". I'm sure we all have them. You all know what I mean. What are some of yours?....

DisneyDaniel
04-13-2004, 12:51 AM
Very well put, DisneyDustin22! Since we're both named Disney"D", we may be related in some way! J/K. Yes, what you said is true. Visits to non-Disney amusement parks are enjoyable, too, but lack the "Disney Magic" that makes you cherish every moment you're there--whether you're on a ride or not. The Disneyland entrance sign says it best: "Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow and fantasy", making every visit special.

ToursbabeC3po
04-13-2004, 12:58 AM
What I like about Disney is the level of entertainment. It is like one big stage. Everything around you is a prop! Everything is themed just perfect and the shows are first class. It just has a magic that no park can touch. :)

sediment
04-13-2004, 08:37 AM
1. It's the immersion.
2. It's the "Something different might happen today."

sjcivilady
04-13-2004, 11:51 AM
I'm 51 now - so was about 5? when the park opened - have lived in northern calif all my life - so the few times I went as a child and teen, I could remember being so excited I could hardly stand it (like Xmas Eve, knowing Santa was coming that night). So the older rides - like the train - remind me of those times - and small world reminds me of my grandmother "Nana" (long deceased) who took all three of us kids when she was in her mid sixties. Don't know if I would have the energy to take 3 kids at my age... sorry to ramble on... I love reading everyone's comments. Makes me feel like I'm there - I'm too far for a season pass, so only go once a year or so.

Terri
04-13-2004, 12:53 PM
:rolleyes: What makes Disneyland so magical for me is that it has not really changed since my childhood. I started going to the park in 1959...45 years later, I can still see the little girl I was having a magical day. I was there with my son a few weeks ago and there were times I found myself looking out into the crowds searching for my mom. Though she is now deceased, she used to sit in the crowds and watch us as we rode the rides. I found my son searching for her too. He said he could feel her spirit and I truly believe he could.

Yes...there have been changes to the park...good and bad, but it is still the one place I can go and relive all of my yesterdays - still finding new tomorrows to relive again.

I could go on for ever...but will leave it at this - Disneyland will always be the magical kingdom!

wendybeth
04-13-2004, 01:27 PM
The thing I like best about Disneyland is the fact that Walt built it: He was responsible for nearly all the creative content, he actually spent a great deal of time personally overseeing every possible detail in order to maximize the experience for us all, he developed a whole new type of 'theme park' complete with a new attitude towards consumers and employees, and he maintained a residence there. It's been a long time since he passed away, but his presence is still very much felt.

I also love all the talent working there now; last week, POTC had a really great CM that had us cracking up over his Pirate jokes and frequent 'argh's'. I thought the CM playing Malificent was perfect, and Goofy (at Goofy's Kitchen) was very funny. (And a big flirt;)) . We were really impressed with a CM named Brian at the Gag shop in Toontown; he took the time (during a very busy day) to introduce my daughter and her friend to pin trading, explaining all the rules and recommending certain pins, etc.) When he discovered my daughter was hearing impaired he made sure to look right at her and speak very clearly; she later commented on how nice he was and how she could understand his speech very well).:)

JenGood008
04-13-2004, 05:02 PM
For me, it feels like home, but a home where nothing bad can be let in. In fact, I probably know where things are at DL more than in my own house, come to think of it :)! I think it's the familiarity, but at the same time, the idea that something new and exciting could happen (That's why I can't help it when I stop and stare into that huge hole in the side of SM! lol... :p )

Before I moved here, I would completely loose it when I'd have to leave (yes, the sight of a twenty something being dragged out of the gate like the kid I saw the other night was probably not pretty ;)) I also cried when I bought my AP and again on my first day of work. OK, and when I saw the "my first visit to Disneyland" shirt with the Baby Mickey spilling his popcorn, I lost it again. I could go on, but....lol

When I was walking through the empty park after closing that first night I stopped by the Partners statue and I swear I could feel Walt's presence (I would only admit that here!). That is one thing that no other amusement, or even Disney park, could ever copy.

sambo
04-13-2004, 09:18 PM
What is it about this place?

...it's called "magic".

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-13-2004, 09:23 PM
I have chills reading this post. I again agree with DisneyDustin. It is magic. No other way to describe it. MAGIC! I get chills there and tears as I leave. I hate for my trip to end. I can't wait to see my kids enjoy it as I did when I was their age. I can't wait to go!