PDA

View Full Version : Grand Californian room view

Cat H
04-11-2004, 06:33 PM
I know that this question has probably been asked before, but I can't find anything about it on previous posts so here is my question: Which view is better at the Grand Californian-Downtown Disney or Park View? Thanks.

NirvanaMan
04-11-2004, 06:44 PM
That depends. Would you prefer to look at Downtown disney or DCA?

:fez:

Cat H
04-11-2004, 06:46 PM
I would like to look at either one, but I would like to know if either one is more quiet than the other. I have never been to downtown disney and I am not sure what exactly the room would be looking at.

NirvanaMan
04-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Downtown disney is basically a bunch of shops. That said, I would personally prefer the Park view, but its really a rather subjective thing.

Cat H
04-11-2004, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info.

BTMichael
04-11-2004, 08:42 PM
Personally, I like the pool view rooms that also have a partial park view, looking straight across the pools to the end of Paradise Pier. These rooms are in the x300 to x324 range, even numbered rooms (x is the floor number). They also happen to be conveniently located between the two sets of elevators. If you are going to Disneyland, you take the West elevator (closest to the Great Hall). If you are going to the swimming pool or DCA, you take the East elevator.

TDBearGrrl
04-12-2004, 10:10 AM
Last September, when we stayed at GCH, we had a Downtown Disney view. I was a little dissapointed at first, but by the end of the say it was probably my favorite. (We have also had park, courtyard and pool views). In the evenings, when the musicians come out in DTD was the best. I could close the curtains, leave the sliding glass door open and enjoy a long hot bath with my bath goodies from Basin. The musician closest to our window was the violinist. It was great. Once you closed the door the sound was gone and I heard nothing. I also really liked watching DTD 'wake up' each morning while I had my coffee.

Ohana33
04-12-2004, 11:57 AM
i agree with the previous post- i prefer the downtown view just because i love people watching and you can hear great music at night. last year, my family stayed on a corner room over the world of disney store and it was just cool to stand out there and watch the performers.

Cat H
04-12-2004, 03:56 PM
Thank you for all the feedback. I think I might try the pool/partial park views that was mentioned.

Tony
04-12-2004, 05:23 PM
We've stayed in a couple of different rooms. By far, my absolute favorite was one that over looked GRR. I love the feel of that part of the park (not to mention that it fits perfectly with the themeing of the hotel), and I could have sat for hours watching the people walk by. Actually, I did. Especially nice was early morning before the park opened. The river was running, no people at all, and the sun rising behind the bear made for one of the most pleasant stays I have had on a Disney property.

I really don't care for the DTD views. I stay in a lot of hotels (in fact, I am writing this from a hotel room overlooking Michigan Ave in Chicago), and the DTD view has always been, at best, disappointing to me. The only caveat would be that from some rooms, you can get a decent view of the fireworks. But, you get the crowd noise, especially late into the evening. Same with the pool view.

I'm not fond of the Paradise Pier view - again its noisier, and the view reminds me too much of a carnival.

All that being said, I'm the type of person who dislikes downtown hotels, with all of the congestion and noise. I much prefer the lodges are B&B's - with quiet and seclusion. The GRR views tend to reflect that more.

CarlieB
04-12-2004, 05:33 PM
Can you request a certain room view when you check in, or is it something you should do in advance? (we're booking through our travel agent this time, not through Disney directly).

Anthony
04-12-2004, 09:14 PM
Which ever view is cheaper, is the better view. You will be really suprised how little time you spend in your room. When you are there, more then likely you will be sleeping, or getting ready to go out to the park, not looking out the window. I spent an extra $500 on a good view for my trip, and it was a total waste of money. I don't want to spend time looking out at people having fun, I want to BE out having fun. Just my little opinion, whatever floats your boat, go for it!