PDA

View Full Version : ToT Layout/Capacity

iAmJacksDLand
04-11-2004, 10:53 AM
This may have been discussed before, but I was curious to the layout of the new DCA ToT and how it would handle capacity. After hearing that it didn't move horizontally, I figured each shaft must be one vertical shaft, somewhat like the MaliBoomer or other standard drop ride.

The ToT in WDW moves around, creating a circuit, allowing for more than one elevator, maybe like 5 or 10 elevators to be traveling around at one time, much like a rollercoaster circuit. Am I correct in thinking that the DCA ToT lacks the circuit and therefore only one elevator can occupy a shaft at a time? If this is true, then is that why there is three shafts instead of two? To increase capacity?

:geek: :confused:

justagrrl
04-11-2004, 04:14 PM
I'm thinking it was 2 shafts and each moves in an L shape. I read this someplace...I think... maybe on miceage?

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm remembering wrong.

David R
04-11-2004, 04:46 PM
I believe that one elevator is loading while the other one is doing its thing in the drop shaft. The elevators do move horizontally in and out of the loading area. How the elevators "switch" that I do not know.

Crispy
04-11-2004, 05:48 PM
WDW's Tower of Terror has separate show shafts and drop shafts. There are two show shafts for everyone one of the drop shafts. At the conclussion of the last scene in the show shaft, the elevator moves forward through the "Fifth demension room." It is when you move through this room that you can see that there is a "fork" where each of the drop shafts is connected tho each show shaft. At DCA there is only one singluar shaft that is a combined show/drop shaft. The ride begins by the elevator moving backwards and loading into the combined show/drop shaft. Imagine an "L" shape, if that helps. As mentioned above, this allows one elevator to be loading while the other is in the shaft and then the two elevators switch places at the lower horizontal part of the "L." The advantage to the WDW version is that the ride begins by operating like a normal elevator and it is when things start to get spooky that it behaves strangely by moving forward through the Fifth demension. In DCA's version, the whole ride begins by operating strangely by backing up into the elevator. From the very beginning you know you are not in a regular elevator. To answer your question, however, I do not know how the different formats of the WDW and DCA Towers of Terror affects the capacities of the rides.

Cris

Darkbeer
04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
DCA's version has three shafts, and as mentioned above, are "L" shaped, one elevator car is in the load/unlaod area, while the other is in the shaft.

So there are a total of six cars for the attraction.

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Ok, am I going to get sick on this ride? I cannot do the Maliboomer or things like that. I am not afraid of heights if I am moving fast, I hope I will be ok on TOT!

happyhaunts999
04-12-2004, 09:40 PM
Mission space has barf bags, I'm thinking that maybe ToT should invest in some to.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-12-2004, 09:49 PM
My GF refuses to go on TOT. I can't say anything to change her mind. If you don't like drops, and find it to be so traumatic an experience, then you might not like it.

I on the other hand, can't wait. Aside from all the elements to the queue and the ride, it's pretty cool being able to experience the calamity of an elevator drop, while not being in a life-threatening situation doing so. :cool:

CoasterMatt
04-13-2004, 04:49 AM
I still don't get what all the screaming is about ToT... It's like a big enclosed version of an S&S Kiddie Drop ride, you bounce but there's no freefall. The theming is wonderful in Florida - I am still disappointed that they couldn't build a ride to meet up with the level of WOW provided by the garden and lobby. I guess the WOW theming here in California is the lobby and the boiler room. As always, YMMV

BTW, the elevator in our apartment is still FAR scarier than any Tower of Terror experience I've had so far.

stan4d_steph
04-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Mission space has barf bags, I'm thinking that maybe ToT should invest in some to. FYI, I rode Mission: Space in February of this year, and there were no barf bags. It's a rumor.

If you can't do the Maliboomer, then I would recommend against doing ToT; it's like the Maliboomer on steroids.

lisap
04-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Ok, am I going to get sick on this ride? I cannot do the Maliboomer or things like that. I am not afraid of heights if I am moving fast, I hope I will be ok on TOT!

I don't like the Maliboomer, and I could only do TOT once in Fla. I loved the whole theming and show, but I couldn't take the drops. :(

I'll probably try it once here just to be sure I still hate the drops. :rolleyes:

IFlyAway
04-13-2004, 08:36 AM
[QUOTE=stan4d_steph]FYI, I rode Mission: Space in February of this year, and there were no barf bags. It's a rumor.

I rode Mission: Space about 5 times when I was at WDW in January and there WERE barf bags at everyone's "station." They were in the pull down compartment directly in front of the rider. However, I never saw anyone being sick.