PDA

View Full Version : Best time to check in (GCH) when trying to get room upgrades?

itsinthemagic
04-08-2004, 07:27 PM
We're checking in April 27th for four nights at the GCH and since we're going to be honeymooning it, we'd like to try and get a room upgrade. Is there a way that has worked in the past for you? What is the optimum time to check in if you are trying to get a room upgrade? I'm guessing it's not the 3pm check-in time (since that's when most people are going to check-in) but I'm not sure. Any ideas? Thanks!

shawnarae
04-09-2004, 08:50 AM
2 Thanksgivings ago we stayed at Paradise Pier Hotel & we checked in at 9:00pm. She upgraded us to "theme park view" because all the "standard views" were taken. So maybe the later you check in, the better?

TribeFan
04-10-2004, 08:34 AM
Hi Magic:

Congrats on the honeymoon. Trust me when I say that I have the inside scoop on this...

Call the hotel directly. Concierge cast members are the hotel oporators. Mention that it is your honeymoon and you would be interested in a complimentary upgrade if at all possible. Let them know that you understand that it's always subject to avail., but you would appreciate it if they would note it in your reservation. The number is 714-635-2300, option #3.

Rooms are assigned the day before you arrive. The room assigner will look at the reservations and see that it is your honeymoon. What can I say, everyone is a softy.

Just to let you know, the Grand has been sold out since about January of 2002 so upgrades can be hard to come by. I would suggest more than an upgrade to a view is to make sure that you have a king bed as bedding types are also subject to avail. Being a family hotel, there are not many king beds. You just need to decide what is more inmportant, the bedding or the view. Also make sure to mention this to the cast member at the hotel.

You are welcome to arrive as early as 8 am and pre-register. Rooms are usually available after 3 pm. Leave your things at the bell desk and go have fun! Your room will be waiting for you when you come back.

Hope that this helps.

itsinthemagic
04-12-2004, 08:26 AM
Thanks so much for the tips TribeFan! I had my fiancé call yesterday and do exactly as you instructed... the only thing that concerned him was that after the cast member pulled up our reservation and he asked her to please note in the reservation system if she could, she said yes, I'll do that, thanks for calling the GCH, bye now! She was VERY nice, but he's a little worried that she didn't put it in there since she kind of fast to get off the phone. Me, I'm thinking I don't want to push it and be annoying to call and check, especially since they might have been busy yesterday. So I guess it's up to fate now! Thanks so much for your tips... I'll let you know how it goes!

- Meg