PDA

View Full Version : Club 33

Pages : [1] 2

mickeygirl99
04-08-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi,
I am surprising my husband with a trip to Disneyland for our 5th Anniversary in December. We have been to Disneyland with our children and love it, however this will be the first trip alone together.

My husband loves everything about Disneyland. He won't even step foot into Disneyworld, because he is so devoted to the original park.

I have often wondered if there was anyway possible to get into Club 33 for dinner. I have read tons of information online about memeberships, which we cannot afford. Can anyone share any tips about this?

I would love to surprise him. He is facinated with the club. He has books and articles he reads often.

Please let me know,any feedback is appreciated,

MickeyGirl!

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Well... you could try Ebay.......

Forbin
04-08-2004, 11:28 AM
Ebay or see if someone here is lending their out (Which is very rare). As those things cost more than some people's houses for a year membership you will have to pray.

Also be aware that a good food is about $50 / person so it will be a costly dinner.

Bill Catherall
04-08-2004, 11:34 AM
see if someone here is lending their out
But doing so is a solicitation and isn't allowed here. Solicitation posts are deleted and you get a nasty note from a moderator.

Forbin
04-08-2004, 11:42 AM
Hehe Explains why it is so very rare. It's not allowed! hehe

If you are going for the experience, ok then spending $150 for 2 peeps might be worth it. The food isn't all that spectacular, service isn't either and if you don't get a window seat, neither is the view.

Freerider127
04-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Club 33 is a great experience, the service is great and the food is pretty good as well. For me it was the whole atmosphere that made it so great. The best way is to look on Ebay but just get ready to spend some money, but at least the money you are spending is going to charity.

SykoSoul
04-08-2004, 04:21 PM
never been, but I want to go there some time =)

happyhaunts999
04-08-2004, 09:44 PM
oh club 33 ya I hang there all the time me and Frozen Walt..... I wish. It would be nice to hang out at club 33 but it will never happen...oh well

Forbin
04-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Oh I didn't say the food wasn't good. It is good, it just isn't spectacular. Slightly better than the Blue Bayou in quality IMHO.

And honestly, I've eaten there twice (and probably never get to again :( and I didn't really think the service is on scale of say Morton's Tavern or other high class eateries (Which has similar pricing). Too many tables per waiter, and I think because I'm not a 18 year old girl my waiter wasn't as dedicated to my table as he was to theirs :)

But if you go 'GET' a window seat. The view of the river is good. Now if you can get a time around Fantasmic, that is the best time to go there. (I don't know if they block the windows during then)

Freerider127
04-09-2004, 09:28 AM
I had great service we had two people always watching are table and me and my freind were both 16 yrs old and they still gave us great service and we were the only ones in Club 33 dressed in suits :)

Forbin
04-09-2004, 01:38 PM
See ! you were 16...I'm sure they wondered how you got in there by yourselves..hehe...No wonder you got good service. Ummm was one of you a female?

But still I didn't think the service was worth the price. But of course I'm jaded as I have actually ate there.
Before I went there I was like 'I gotta go there' for like 13 years...now I've been there...done that...will do it again but is it 5star? No, it's 4 or 4 1/2.

LegolandMC
04-09-2004, 02:25 PM
But still I didn't think the service was worth the price. But of course I'm jaded as I have actually ate there.

When you consider the fact that you get a free one day park hopper with the price of the meal, it's totally worth the price!!!!

I love eating at Club 33. My family has been eating there for years and years, and while it may not be the best restaurant in the world, it is definitely a great find, and a special visit, within Disneyland. Just the historical significance alone makes it worth it to me. :)

adriennek
04-09-2004, 02:28 PM
I agree with Forbin. I've said this before and I'm sure I'll say it again: the Club experience is, IMO, overrated. I think that the big draw is that it's exclusive and hard to come by. It's fun to go once if you can find a connection. Most of the connections I've come across have been corporate memberships- friends of friends or friends of the family who work for lawfirms or corporations with business connections to Disney.

That, and, hang out on Disney boards long enough and eventually you'll "know" who has a membership.

Now I'm going to say something that is likely to hurt a bunch of people's feelings so I want to try to prevent this: I'm not out to hurt feelings, I'm not making judgements, I'm just commenting...

Currently, if I REALLY wanted to get someone into Club 33, I can only really think of one connection I have (a friend of a friend,) and I can't think of any reason I would be willing to "use" it. I adore my friend but I haven't seen her for awhile and I think it would be really crummy of me to call up for the first time in a long time, just to ask a favor. Actually, I take that back, I have a second connection and I might use that one for a really really really really good reason, but, again, it's a friend of the family who I haven't even seen for almost a year, so this isn't someone I would just ask a favor of without a REALLY strong reason.

Here's the part that will upset people: Nevermind that solicitations would get deleted/violate MP community policies- (And I'm NOT referring to the original poster because there was on solicitation made on this thread!) - keep in mind that if I had a membership, I wouldn't be too anxious to make a reservation for someone I'd never met. I'm sure that most people are just fine and dandy human beings but I would not be willing to risk that someone I'd never met would go and do something rude, illegal, unethical, etc, that could jeopardize my membership. It's just not a good idea to be getting "strangers" into an exclusive club, KWIM?

So the short version of my story is: if you know anyone in the Orange County area who works for a law firm or another type of corporation, you might ask around and see if their companies have memberships to C33. Otherwise, most of the people I know with connections usually save them for people they know well, that's just human nature and common sense.

Personally, the selling on ebay thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I can see how for some people it would be worth it, but to me, it's exploitive. Call me a cynic but because of the anonymity of the whole Ebay situation, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with how much of the "profit" actually makes it to charity.

Meanwhile, if you can't get into C33, make reservations at Napa Rose. You'll have a better meal and I'm much more confident that you'll get good service (our last meal at C33 was NOT good service, to say the least.)

Adrienne

awinner
04-09-2004, 09:39 PM
I have been very fortunate to goto the club several times because the company I work for has a membership...I take friends of mine who enjoy going there, not because of the food, but because of the unique experience. I have spent some holidays there too when they have special menus...ie new years, 4th of july and hopefully they will have a special menu this sunday when we go for easter. From what I have been told the set up has changed a bit for the buffets. Oh well, it will be fun anyways :D

hbquikcomjamesl
04-09-2004, 10:20 PM
Personally, the selling on ebay thing leaves a sour taste in my mouth. I can see how for some people it would be worth it, but to me, it's exploitive. Call me a cynic but because of the anonymity of the whole Ebay situation, I'm not sure how comfortable I am with how much of the "profit" actually makes it to charity. I recall reading somewhere on MousePad that the Disney people keep tabs on eBay in general, and people auctioning off access to Club 33 in particular, and that if it's not authorized in advance, or the seller doesn't donate the proceeds to charity as advertised, he or she loses his or her membership "with extreme prejudice."

PsychDoc
04-10-2004, 07:10 AM
Ebay or see if someone here is lending their out (Which is very rare). As those things cost more than some people's houses for a year membership you will have to pray.

Also be aware that a good food is about $50 / person so it will be a costly dinner.

I took my sister there in October; we went for the lunch buffet. Without alcohol, the bill including tip was nearly $150. It was well worth it. My husband works for GE Capital so his boss got us reservations. I feel very spoiled as he tells me I can go whenever I want. I really don't want to ruin the memories of it. It was a very special trip. My sister and I went alone for her bachelortte party. Best advice besides Ebay...do you know anyone who works for big corporations? If they have connections or are in management maybe they can score some tickets?

Ohana33
04-11-2004, 08:29 PM
sorry if this doesn't work

Ohana33
04-11-2004, 08:30 PM
This is my first real post on these boards, so sorry if it turns out strange!

i don't want to come off as a snob or as a know-it-all, but my dad has been a member of the club for almost 12 years. and i agree with many things that the previous posters have said. the food is good, but not great, and the club isn't what it used to be.

i do believe that because of new management, the club is trying to bring back its glory days. my dad typically goes twice a week, and we have a weekly family dinner there- after a while, the food became boring because the dinner menu remained the same for years. they've finally shaken things up with seasonal menus and better specials.

also, the dress code and who is allowed in really bothers me. when i was younger, going to the club was extremely special (and it still is) and i would get dressed up for the occasion. i still do this although diners around me are in shorts and tank tops. while i understand being casual for the buffet in the afternoon, i think people can show a little class and eat in something either than jeans. also, i've had to get used to kids running around, unattended. recently, i was at the club for dinner when a mother was hosting a birthday party with 10 young boys. i wouldn't mind them celebrating, however they were yelling and running all over the place. countless diners complained to their waiters and to the mother, but nothing was done. even though my dad was a member since i was 8, i never ate there until i was almost 14, not because i wasn't well-behaved, but because it was once a formal restuarant where people could escape from the park and enjoy a meal, child-free. i'm not saying kids shouldn't be allowed up; i'm just simply pointing out how club 33 differs from restuarants of the same price range on property (ie napa rose).

now that i'm done ranting about the restaurant, i must share why my family choses to visit every week. the atmosphere is purely disney. you can walk out onto the balcony and watch an evening performance of fantasmic or enjoy the fireworks. for sunday brunch, mickey and minnie visit diners. and the cast members are wonderful. over the years, they have become family. they strive to make the moment enjoyable because they know that this may be the only time for these people to enjoy the magic. all i can say is, if you have the opportunity, dine here at least once because it is the best "secret" at disneyland. :)

mel g
04-12-2004, 10:40 AM
It has always been my dream to go to Club 33. I had heard about it growing up, and I read the Mousetales books on the way down to California from Calgary, Canada. I talked non-stop about Club 33 to my hubby, and once while waiting to get a table at the Blue Bayou, I saw a family walk out from the door I guessed was Club 33. I had to go ask them about it (my curiosity was killing me and they were all just standing around waiting for someone) so I kindly asked where they had just come from and how it was. They had just left Club 33, and they had the reservation made for them by a friend. They had never heard about Club 33 before that and they were very disappointed at the price they had paid for lunch. I couldn't believe these people hadn't enjoyed Club 33. Some of us dream to go there just once in a lifetime, and some others who get go don't understand the magic or history of the amazing place they just visited.

I really do enjoy reading all your Club 33 experiences though. Comments good or bad are interesting and give us a glance into what the experience is like. I guess if you do get to eat there all the time, the magic may wear off a little. But, do take the time to think of how special Club 33 is! You get to see a 'secret' part of Disneyland that most of us will never experience. Pretty cool if you ask me.... :)

Mel :)

Dr. Watson
04-12-2004, 11:21 AM
I, too, have been to the Club on many occasions and would agree with previous posts.

But, the reason for my post: I have heard rumors that Roy Disney has taken the furnishings that he personnally owns out of Club 33 because of his dis-satisfaction with Eisner. Can anyone confirm this?

Ohana33
04-12-2004, 11:31 AM
recently, they have removed certain pieces from the upstairs hallway to make room for a lounge. they were not roy disney's and he did not take them. they were simply put away to make room for tables and chairs. there would be quite a fuss if roy ever did this, i'd imagine, and i haven't heard anything about this.

adriennek
04-12-2004, 11:39 AM
But, do take the time to think of how special Club 33 is! You get to see a 'secret' part of Disneyland that most of us will never experience. Pretty cool if you ask me.... :)

I'm not a person who goes to C33 frequently: I've been there twice- once for the buffet brunch and once for dinner. I have met people who don't appreciate how special it is to get to go there and like I said, I think it's a really cool thing for Disney fans to do once to get to see the club.

I just don't want to see people be too disappointed if they don't into the club as fast as they'd like to, because there are other, better quality dining experiences available at the resort

Also, one thing to consider re: free admission. I think that's a little overrated, too. (Wow, am I Miss Mary Sunshine or WHAT?) Many people I know who really want to go don't need free admission because they're APs. Other people planning vacations already have their admission through multi-day passes, their vacations packages, etc. Yes, when you consider the admission price, in theory, it's a better deal to dine at C33, but many visitors don't even need or use the special admission tickets.

Adrienne

Forbin
04-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Well on the Free Admission thing, I got myself 'invited' to C33 because I was looking for the free Admission. :) . And that company wanted to impress my boss. (Worked too)

When I was outside C33 I was like Knock Knock... say the secret C33 password ... Ooooo ... Ahhh ... Look at the neat Elevator ... Ohhhh ... Ordered my food and watched the world go by. Look the only place in Disney where I can drink Liquor! Experience ++++++!

As the meal went on I noticed, hey the food is good but it isn't all that spectacular. Then I noticed our Waiter was paying a HECK of a lot more attention to the table with the 2 young girls then our own table. To the point where I drank my water and my wife's (GF back then) completely and he didn't even turn around to see if we needed help. (He was 2 tables away)

Then I saw the bill....$200 for 3 people. Holey Snarks I thought, it's good I don't have to foot this tab!

Came back again about 2 years later...different company, same food and SERVICE! Different waiter. Table with more cute girls. Bill was $200 for 2 people now.../gah.

Ate at Morton's Tavern maybe a month later. Now I was schooled on how REAL service should be. That waiter even spent 5 minutes explaining how each meat is cooked and what you should expect as a flavor in your mouth! Bill? $100 for 2 people. Less than C33.

So if you are going to C33, it is all about the experience. If you are low on funds do not go to C33 they will eat your wallet up faster than your children wanting Ice Cream on a hot day. If you expect 5Star service, you aren't going to get it. This club is there so that you can say you enjoyed the Buffet and Drinks at the Secret Club 33 . But honestly it isn't something to recommend to others who are just looking for a good restaurant inside of Disneyland. Might as well tell them to eat downstairs at the Blue Bayou.

Disneynut1955
04-14-2004, 09:43 AM
In reading the posts here, I was just curious to know how long ago the guest had the problem with the waiter looking at the young girls and not providing that guest with a similar level of service? I ask this because EVERY male waiter who works the evening shift is GAY. This has been the case since July of 2003. Regardless, I am sorry the guest had a bad experience. I find that the food is acceptable but the level of service I receive from my waiter and the other staff is what keeps me returning every two weeks. They have become extensions of our family and I simply can not praise them enough for all of their hard work when we visit.

Freerider127
04-14-2004, 10:25 AM
Personally I had great service and cant wait to go again someday. People say that club 33 is way overpriced but for 7500 initial joining fee and i think its like 2800 each year its not so bad considering a membership to one of Trumps Golf courses is $300,000. I would love to get a membership but my dad hates Disneyland, the only reason hes ever gone is because of my birthday but he truly hates the crowds and dosent like anything about Disneyland, so he not so thrilled to pay for something he dislikes. Hopefully someday I will be able to afford a membership. Forbin, both of us were males and I am sure they were wondering who we are because I know I would be if two 16 year old kids come in, and there in suits. One of the things that I talked about in many recent Club 33 discussions is the dress code, I was the ONLY person dressed in a suit in the club, but thats just fine with me but I feel at dinner people should at least make an effort to wear a sports coat or something. I always go to Disneyland dressed in a suit because of Swing and I just like to do it, So im used to dressing in a suit every time I go to Disneyland in the night but most people dont, they wonder why I am wearing a suit. :)