PDA

View Full Version : Is Sleeping Beauty's Castle open?

Pages : [1] 2

Hakuna Makarla
04-07-2004, 06:32 PM
Can a person still walk inside it or is it not open to the public any more? I saw where it said it was closed? please, some one let me know if this is true. thank you **Karla

zapppop
04-07-2004, 06:36 PM
The Sleeping Beauty diorama walkthrough inside the castle is closed indefinitely. The rest remains open.

Hakuna Makarla
04-07-2004, 06:43 PM
what is the rest? can one go inside or just see out side?

SoCalDisneyLover
04-07-2004, 08:07 PM
It closed on 9/11/01, and probably will Never reopen again. You can't get inside anymore.

ChipmunkStar
04-07-2004, 08:12 PM
You cannot go upstairs into the diorama. You can still, however, shop inside the two stores on either side of the walkway which remain open.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-07-2004, 08:30 PM
You cannot go upstairs into the diorama. You can still, however, shop inside the two stores on either side of the walkway which remain open.

Of course! Disney would never miss a chance to sell merchandise. Even if the attraction it's associated with is permanently closed.

HBTiggerFan
04-07-2004, 10:24 PM
It closed on 9/11/01, and probably will Never reopen again. You can't get inside anymore.

It closed after September 11th, 2001. It closed the first day we started bombing Afghanastan (a Sunday, in the middle of MouseAdventure).

There have been reports that they have been doing work on the inside so it can reopen.

People thought the front of the monorail would never again be open to guests, and it is. Have hope.

SoCalDisneyLover
04-08-2004, 06:28 AM
There have been reports that they have been doing work on the inside so it can reopen.
Have hope.

There also was recently a report on another Disney message board, from someone who works for the company, that there are currently No plans to ever reopen the castle to guests. I'm not saying "don't have hope," but if they have kept a tiny walk through attraction closed for over 2 1/2 years, I'm not too optimistic. I'm sure the only people really complaining are the park regulars. Most "tourists" probably have enough other attractions to keep them content during their visit. My opinion is if it's there, it should be open Now.

Disney Vault
04-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Why did it close after september 11th? Do they think someone will put a bomb in there or what? (i'm not being sarcastic, thats a serious question)

cstephens
04-08-2004, 05:37 PM
Why did it close after september 11th? Do they think someone will put a bomb in there or what? (i'm not being sarcastic, thats a serious question)

As mentioned above, it wasn't closed after September 11. It was closed when the war started in Afghanistan. I believe the explanation was that it was thought to be a possible target, though I'm not sure there was ever an "official" explanation.

cemeinke
04-08-2004, 08:18 PM
I believe in one of the early arrests, video tapes of the castle interior were found making it a suspected target.

Disney Vault
04-08-2004, 08:32 PM
I doubt any one would target the castle. First off terroroist want to kill people and that would not do much harm compared to the world trade center. And someone could just as easily walk over the bridge and through the base to blow it up. I just dont think they are doing any good by having it closed and i believe they are over reacting. I hope matt decides to open the castle for the 50th. By the way when do we find out about all the plans for the 50th?

SoCalDisneyLover
04-08-2004, 09:06 PM
By the way when do we find out about all the plans for the 50th?

MAY 5. In conjunction with the opening of Tower Of Terror.

happyhaunts999
04-08-2004, 09:26 PM
Sorry to dissapoint you but the point of terrorism is not the amount of people they kill. They want to get rid of the American way of life. What is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of the USA(besides apple pie and the flag) it's disneyland a 45+ year tradition. They hate everything that your country stands for. So what better place to target than the place everybody loves to go. The happiest place on Earth.....

SoCalDisneyLover
04-08-2004, 09:40 PM
Then why not close down the whole park? Wouldn't the Matterhorn be a great target to blow up? Or the Monorail? Or the Haunted Mansion?

I understand that the castle is an icon of sorts. But since it's closed...what's to stop some crazed terrorist from making a statement on another attraction at the park? Besides...as it's already been pointed out...if someone wants to get the castle, all they have to do is position themselves inside the tunnel and explode themselves. I'm sure it would do enough damage to make their impact felt.

cstephens
04-08-2004, 11:28 PM
Then why not close down the whole park? Wouldn't the Matterhorn be a great target to blow up? Or the Monorail? Or the Haunted Mansion?

Because it's a matter of not overreacting, and that the Matterhorn, the monorail and the HM were not on the videotape they found of possible targets. And maybe there was some other reason they chose to close the castle down, maybe this is just an excuse. Or maybe it IS mostly the reason, and there are things we don't know about. No, closing down the castle walkthrough isn't going to stop every possibility of a bomb, but there is much more damage that can be done from inside the castle than from underneath the castle.

AB Born
04-08-2004, 11:44 PM
Why can't they just put cameras in there?

cstephens
04-09-2004, 11:00 AM
Why can't they just put cameras in there?

Not sure if you've been in there, but it's fairly narrow and dark, with turns and the like. They'd need a lot of cameras, not to mention someone to sit there and watch it all day.

Princess Aurora
04-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Being very upset myself I asked on of my leads about the re-opening of the castle and if it would ever happen. It was clolsed due to the fact that it was not wheelchair accessible, and there was not enough security available to keep an eye on it..not just for terror reasons but also for local teenie boppers who go there to make-out. He was un clear in telling me if they will opean it again, but i will keep my fingers crossed.

cstephens
04-17-2004, 08:35 AM
Being very upset myself I asked on of my leads about the re-opening of the castle and if it would ever happen. It was clolsed due to the fact that it was not wheelchair accessible

I find this hard to believe.

cemeinke
04-17-2004, 08:43 AM
Yup, same reason they closed Tarzan's Treehouse

Niwel
04-17-2004, 10:17 AM
When I worked in Fantasyland the person who closed Dumbo or Carrousel would close the castle (this was usually a female) and everyone else was sent to Peter Pan as that had the longest line at the end of the night. At some point during the summer the Leads decided that only a guy should close the castle down. I don't know if there was an incident -- but I think they were worried about teenage guys hanging out in the castle scaring other people.

I think the reason they give out is terrorism -- I have a feeling the real reason is that the "powers that used to be" didn't want to spend money on the upkeep.

I miss the walk-through very much.... :crying:

disneylandia
04-17-2004, 11:53 AM
This attraction was closed quite a bit before Sept. 11. Among the many reasons listed was grafitti. So you can take your choice as to what is the actual reason. Talk to a different cast member, get a different answer.

edited to add:
I also think it has something to do with the fact that it was not really a popular attraction. Too often people don't appreciate something until its gone. And many never bothered to go into the attraction, and are curious about it. Believe me, when it closed I don't remember too much uproar over it closing.
My 2 cents

Princess Aurora
04-17-2004, 02:09 PM

Well its not hard to believe because many things now at disney are becoming wheelchair enagers accessible, also the attraction need to be updated and they feel that there should be a better way for families to enjoy this attraction with out seeing graffiti or teenagers doing unnecessary things in there

SCUBAbe
04-17-2004, 03:07 PM
I also think it has something to do with the fact that it was not really a popular attraction. Too often people don't appreciate something until its gone. And many never bothered to go into the attraction, and are curious about it. Believe me, when it closed I don't remember too much uproar over it closing.
My 2 cents

I've been to disneyland countless times and I didn't even know there was a walk thru until my sister and I just kind of happened upon it one day. It was VERY narrow and crowded. Unfortunatly we went through during the summer and there seemed to be a lingering BO order in the place. I coudn't wait to get out of it....I wouldn't miss the tiki room either. I went in their once about a year or so ago and walked out before the first song was over...it's just not my thing.

I use to love the pirate ship as a child, but I don't want it back. I have very fond memories of of the past, but I'm a firm believer in moving forward and things have to change...or they stagnant (sp?)....