PDA

View Full Version : Just Returned (Vineyard room other comments)

only1mouse
04-06-2004, 10:46 PM
We just returned from 6 days at Disneyland. We had such a wonderful time and we hated leaving. We arrived Thursday morning at 10:30 am. This time we stayed at the PPH. When we checked in I asked if there was any possibility of getting an "updated" room with a park view. The Cast Member was very accommodating and gave us room keys and told us to check back in later as the room was not quite ready. We immediately hopped over to Disneyland so I could get my annual pass. The park was pretty empty, relatively speaking. It was great. We "played" for several hours before deciding to head back to see if our room was ready. It was and we absolutely loved the room. We were on the 8th floor with a great view of the park.

We headed over to DCA to ride Screamin. My friend wanted me to go on Maliboomer, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it, at least not yet (I have since been on it 5 times and love it). As we were standing in line for Screamin, it started to sprinkle and then it started pouring. Now we are from Oregon, rain is a common occurrence for us, but boy oh boy it was down pouring. We raced for cover (in the ladies room behind the carousel). Then the thunder and lightning came. I'd never seen anything like it - in California. Our clothes were soaked. We looked as though we had just gotten off of Grizzley. That was it for the night. We went back to the hotel room and realized that the windows in PP are in desparate need of replacement. We could hear every car, people screaming, it was horrible. Neither of us slept well the entire time and it is really unfortunate as the hotel and the new rooms are nice. Oh well, guess that just means back to the Grand Californian! We love it there!!!

As I mentioned in a previous post we had reservations at the Vineyard Room for Friday night. We were excited and couldn't wait to go. We got there, got seated, ordered the Caramel Apple Martinis and looked through the menu. Our waiter wasn't the best by any means, and in actuality we only saw him when he took our order and brought us our bill. I was pretty upset when the folks sitting next to us had their food delivered and they were eating prime rib. It wasn't on the menu and the only "special" we heard about was a soup. Don't get me wrong, this is a great restaurant, the waitress for the table next to us treated her customers great; we saw her all the time. The food was great, we even had a little sample of roasted rabbit. I never thought I'd eat roasted rabbit, but it was good, amazingly enough. We both ordered the salmon which was very tasty, and the dessert, oh that Hazelnut torte mmmmmmmmm. All in all, I probably won't ever go back, but it was fun to go.

I know I'm rambling, but I have to mention one more thing. We saw Fantasmic for the first time. I have NO clue why I have never seen that before, but it was AWESOME to say the least. I even went back last night to see it again. Next time, when we take the kids, I definitely want to get back and take them. How could I have ever missed that????

Anyhow, has anyone else stayed at PP and noticed the window problem and the noise. When we stayed at GC we had a DTD view and when we shut the doors it shut out the noise. Has anyone had bad service, like we had at the Vineyard Room?

I love Disneyland and am working on scheduling another trip for this Christmas as I've never been during that time of year.

Thanks for listening.......

David R
04-07-2004, 06:25 AM
Thank you for the trip report! I'm glad to hear that you had a wonderful time despite the rain on your first day.

My bf and I also went to the Vineyard Room for the first time ever on Saturday (the day after you!). We absolutely loved and cannot wait to return. Our waiter was good, but there was some miss communication going on because it took forever to get our bread and then they brought something "compliments of the chef" right before (and I mean like 30 seconds before) the first course, and our waiter and whoever brought the "freebie" exchanged confused looks.

I had the flatbread which was very tasty. The pacific bass with the red pepper sauce (to die for). And like you, the hazelnut torte with the candied oranges sprinkle with mint and the delicious icecream, which was like heaven in my mouth.

My bf had the apple salad, the beef medallion (he said that it melted in his mouth) and the bread pudding dessert which he said was better than my torte, but I disagree.

I wonder how often they change menus because we are dying to go again. It's expensive, but we only go to Disney every month to month and a half, so we can probably afford it every other trip.

spectromen
04-07-2004, 07:58 AM
The last time I went, they told me that the menu changes 4 times a year, with the change of the seasons. In spring and summer you are more likely to come across more fresh fruit and vegetables while in fall and winter there will be heavier dishes. All good, just different.

I was sorry to hear about the inattentive service. I always felt they spaced the courses out on purpose to extend the dining experience but didn't feel like I was being ignored. I do think they utilize a program where your main server only takes the order, checks back and brings the check while someone else brings the food out. Personally I don't care for that system but I notice a lot of higher end restaurants doing it.

I know one of the servers there and he, along with a handful of others, have been there since Day 1 and know the place inside out. I'd be hard pressed to think that one of them treated you negatively, so hopefully you addressed the situation while you were there or will send an email from home. It's a shame to think that you wouldn't go back because one bad seed ruined it for you!

cstephens
04-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Our waiter wasn't the best by any means, and in actuality we only saw him when he took our order and brought us our bill. I was pretty upset when the folks sitting next to us had their food delivered and they were eating prime rib. It wasn't on the menu and the only "special" we heard about was a soup.

I'm sorry your dinner at the Vineyard Room wasn't a better experience. The prime rib you saw the other table having was probably on the alternate substitution menu that your server apparently didn't tell you about. The Vineyard Room does employ runners who are the ones actually bringing the food out. The server is supposed to take your order, refill your drinks, stop by after every course has been brought out to make sure everything is ok and then finally, bring you the bill. Sounds like he was severely lacking.

I hope you'll submit a comment to the Disneyland Resort (you can use their "contact us" option on the website) about your experience so that they can make sure all servers are properly trained. I'm surprised that someone was so off that night, but I guess that sort of thing happens.

Glad you liked Fantasmic!

David R
04-07-2004, 11:39 AM
What is the alternate substitution menu? We weren't told about it either.

cstephens
04-07-2004, 02:29 PM
What is the alternate substitution menu? We weren't told about it either.

Excerpted from the dinner review that I posted (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=26717):

In addition, they have daily specials that can be substituted for the course on the main menu. The additions for this evening were as follows:

FIRST/SECOND COURSE

Steamed Mussels - apple wood bacon, bay leaves, shallots in a sauvignon blanc broth

SPECIALTY OF THE HOUSE

Roasted Lamb Chops - apple relish, red pepper mint sauce, served with garlic mashed potatoes

DESSERT

Milk Chocolate Cheesecake - amaretto cookie crust, champagne sabayon

They didn't have the substitution menu the first time we dined there, so when I saw it this time, I figured it was a nightly special thing, and if I recall, that's what our server said. It was printed on a separate sheet, about half the size of a regular sheet of paper.

If someone else hasn't posted any further information, I'll try to remember to check when I'm at the resort on Friday.

SCUBAbe
04-07-2004, 08:19 PM
yeah...the windows don't muffle or block the noise. I stayed there when they were building the DCA. I woke up at dawn every morning to the beeping of vechicles backing up and variuod other construction noises. I din't really matter i had to wake up anyway to be in meeting/drunk all day. I was thee for a wine seminar and they kept that stuff flowing all day...LOL

We were a bit tipsy one night and went to the bar at the Dusney hotel...I guess we were rowdy (I Know I wasn't),but soem of the others were. Well, the CM reminded us it wa a family place....a bar???..ok...LOL