PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Disneyland

Towmod
04-06-2004, 01:23 PM
Seeing the Skyway video has caused me to think of past Disneyland rides that are no longer. What is your favorite ride that is no longer there? For me its the Carousel of Progress.

P.S. I was looking through some old 8mm 'film' that my dad had taken back in the 60's of Disneyland and he has about 30 seconds of the Flying Saucers (while riding it).... WOW what an amazing ride.

danyoung
04-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Hands down, Adventure Through Inner Space.

04-06-2004, 01:48 PM
The Submarine Voyage (R.I.P.)

Didn't Tomorrowland used to be the best?

tod
04-06-2004, 02:01 PM
The People Mover, especially on a hot, busy day where you wanted to just sit and relax for 20 minutes or so. Man, I miss that.

--t

Opus1guy
04-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Tomorrowland used to be "The World On The Move" and it really was!

In some of those old films you've got the Rocket Jets, the Skyway, the Monorail, the Peoplemover, the Submarines, the Motor Boats, the Autopia, the Carousal turning and the Tomorrowland Terrace stage coming up! All in the same shot!

It was pretty impressive and exciting. :)

Now? It's "The Land That Time Forgot." :(

PsychDoc
04-06-2004, 06:22 PM
I haven't visted the Yesterland site lately and I've forgotten if they include videos as well as pictures. Does anyone know? Also, I'd agree with the above posts. As a kid and in my teens I remember running to Tomorrowland. Space Mountain, Subs, Cars, Peoplemover, eating Moonburgers while watching the Tommorwland Terrace singers. Now the rides are all gone and the food sucks too!

kijay
04-06-2004, 10:46 PM
Would definitely love to see the Subs come back, as every time I got to visit as a kid it was broken down (Of course, I only got to go twice as a kid). As for a ride I got to go on but is now closed, I would have to go with the Skyway. Nice and relaxing, and what a view. :)

MCComposer
04-07-2004, 03:49 AM
I miss the teacups...oh, wait they're still there, YOU JUST CAN'T SPIN THEM!

iluvwebster2004
04-07-2004, 07:21 AM
I agree, the Peoplemover was a great way to relax and the ride that I miss the most. I wish they would bring it back and add a video to each passenger comparment. Maybe do something on the History of Disneyland or Tomorrowland. Tomorrowland lacks innovation and does not represent the future very well. The rehab in the 90's was a miserable failure. At least bringing back the Peoplemover they would have a something fairly futuristic with an alternative transportation system. With gas prices soaring and our reliance on Middle Eastern oil alternative transportation systems should be on the minds of all Americans. Walt planned to use the Peoplemover in EPCOT (the real EPCOT). They were going to be the main form of transportation for EPCOT's residents. Tomorrowland lacks ideas like the Peoplemover. Instead we have a flight simulator, roller coaster, crappy World's Fair type attraction, minature CARS, and soon Buzz Lightyear. The most innovative thing in Tomorrowland is the Monorail and that opened I believe in 1959 and if my date is wrong let's put it this way Walt opened it.

Dominguez Grove
04-07-2004, 11:09 AM
I love these threads. They seem to come up every few weeks, but they never get old.

I'm all about Disneyland nostalgia, history and trivia...(hence my handle) anyways, thanks for starting the thread.

My favorite Yesterland attraction is always changing. Guess it depends on my mood. These days it's Mine Train Through Natures Wonderland (hence my title ). Actually, I've been some what obsessed with this attraction for the past few months. I'm considering dedicating a website to it (if time would allow...so don't hold your breath). :cool:

merlinjones
04-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Adventure Thru Inner Space
Swiss Family Treehouse
Skyway
Rocket Jets up high
Submarine Voyage
Captain Hook's Pirate Ship
Tahitian Terrace
Golden Horseshoe Revue
Cascade Peak
Sleeping Beauty Castle (original Earle/Anderson/Coats diorama)
Carousel of Progress
PeopleMover
Flying Saucers

danyoung
04-07-2004, 01:33 PM
How could I have forgotten about Captain Hook's? I had just discovered this, and the joy of eating a tasty tuna sandwich while sitting out on deck and enjoying the Skull Rock waterfall, and had enjoyed this experience TWICE when they pulled it all down (sob......).

EdD
04-08-2004, 10:18 AM
Definitely "Monsanto's Trip Through Inner Space"! I loved that ride. It was also fantastic for grad night in 1977 (remember folks, 1977, different time, different values...), as the buggies were very private and great special effects for our "enhanced" viewing experience.

DuffMan
04-08-2004, 10:25 AM
:eek:
!!!
I thought I was hallucinating about Captain Hook's Pirate Ship. I have long had this vague memory of such a thing existing, and though I may never have actually seen it, I remember seeing a shot of it through my Viewmaster.

What was Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, exactly? And when did it vanish? Anybody got images??

BTW, my reply to this thread: probably Inner Space. But I prefer what replaced it, so to be more accurate, Rocket Jets. I always loved those things.

Towmod
04-08-2004, 12:10 PM
[QUOTE=DuffMan]:eek:
What was Captain Hook's Pirate Ship, exactly? And when did it vanish? Anybody got images??QUOTE]

Slightly better pictures then your Viewmaster, go here Yesterland (http://www.yesterland.com/pirateship.html) for the pictures and location.

Subsonic
04-08-2004, 01:31 PM
It depends on my mood. I remember Innerspace as a child and would really love to be able to go back on that again. I grew up with Peoplemover though. God, I miss that ride. It was just nice to relax on a potential transportation system of tomorrow. Tomorrowland sucks now. I just don't understand what they were thinking. It's so great to read these posts and remember the old days. That's why I run a shoutcast station that plays audio from Disneyland rides. When the ride through of Innerspace comes on it just takes me back.

Sigh, I hope someone realizes we want quality and imagination back into the attractions.

Cancer Norm
04-08-2004, 01:50 PM
I miss that big, beautiful Parking Lot! It was right there in front of Disneyland, really! Each time i parked was a new adventure. There was section Mickey and Minnie, and section Tigger. Each one was a new experience, and then getting on the tram, riding to the entrance. Walking down the covered patio area with all the posters and benches and sometimes General Motors would showcase their new cars and trucks there. ...Now I can't park there. There seems to be alot of junk in the way. What gives? :(

u2ugly4nebody
04-08-2004, 05:49 PM
Submarine voyage....brings back good memories.

SykoSoul
04-08-2004, 06:29 PM
The Submarine Voyage

everytime I walk by and see where they used to be I frown =(

or Space Mountain... I want it to be 2005 already =P

AliceinWonderland84
04-08-2004, 09:06 PM
I cannot believe they took out the Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse. That is so lame.

My dad went to Disneyland when it first opened and his brother broke his arm on one of the old rides. It had something to do with the history of California perhaps? I'm not sure exactly. But he stuck his arm out even when they tell you to keep your arms and legs inside the trams at all times! lol

Pirate Girl
04-08-2004, 10:10 PM
Swiss Family Treehouse (http://www.yesterland.com/treehouse.html)
One of my personal favorites! Tarzan's Treehouse. Who were they kidding? Tarzan is one of my favorite movies, but I was still very disapointed when I saw the cheap and pointless change to the Tarzan theme. I am proud to say I have been up there exactly once since it opened. My cousin and I frequently "bump" trash cans into the way of the entrance.

Submarine Voyage (http://www.yesterland.com/submarine.html)
Do I really have to say anything about this one? Bring back the Live Mermaids!

PeopleMover (http://www.yesterland.com/peoplemover.html)
Some classics never die!

Flying Saucers (http://www.yesterland.com/saucers.html)
I never got to ride these, they were before my time, but my mom loved them. She used to rave about them all the time, and was really excited when I found a picture of them on the Yesterland site. My mom has never raved about anything specific at Disneyland since (she just raves about it as a whole), so I know they must have been pretty good.

DisneylandForever
04-11-2004, 06:34 AM
I know this isn't the park itself, but remember how cool it was heading over to the Disneyland Hotel via Monorail? They had that cool shop right in front, the Neon Cactus where you could sing karaoke, it's a small world toy shop, and my favorite as a kid: the atari adventure! Wow talk about nostalgic. I used to play Space Ace there all the time! They also had those old school trams with the blue seats in case you didn't wanna wait for the monorail. Damn, those were the days!