PDA

View Full Version : You thought SSL was opening in Mid-May... well NOT!!!

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darkbeer
04-03-2004, 09:18 PM
http://www.miboards.com/showthread.php?t=14979

NOT!!!:fez:

ToursbabeC3po
04-03-2004, 10:16 PM
I was wondering what SSL was? Then I took myself out of my blonde moment. :rolleyes: Super Star Limo. All I have heard is some time this summer.

MonorailMan
04-04-2004, 12:06 AM
Just thank goodness were not missing much. lol :)

EandCDad
04-04-2004, 06:57 AM
Since you have a NOT!!!!! in the title and another NOT!!!! in the text, does that mean you are saying the not is not? Is this a double negative indicating that the ride is, indeed, opening for mid-May? Or are you simply reinforcing the NOT!!!!! from the title in case someone missed it?

I need to know if I should get there early to be the first (and second, and third) rider when it does open.

04-04-2004, 08:10 AM
I need to know if I should get there early to be the first (and second, and third) rider when it does open.

You may wish to consider fastpass (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/fast.htm) for this popular attraction.

ToursbabeC3po
04-04-2004, 08:24 AM
You may wish to consider fastpass (http://www.mouseplanet.com/al/docs/fast.htm) for this popular attraction.

Pfffft ROTF.....I know I am going to be running their the day it opens! LOL

iwannabeanimagineer
04-04-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to figure out what would be the opposite of being the first one to ride it when it re-opens. Is there a line I can stand in for people who intend never to ride it again? Can I undo the ride I took on it during my first trip to DCA? ;)

RagtimePrince
04-04-2004, 03:33 PM
I can honestly say, one ride three years ago was absolutely enough for me. If it does come back, I hope they're taking the extra time to replace CG Joan Rivers constantly rambling in the queue.

*shudder*

Joan Rivers... :(

Gemini Cricket
04-04-2004, 04:54 PM
http://www.miboards.com/showthread.php?t=14979

Driftwood's avatar scares me. :eek: :D

GeminiAngel
04-04-2004, 08:14 PM
I'm guessing it was a dark ride or some sort of simulator? I never rode it. what was it like?

DCACM
04-04-2004, 11:32 PM
SSL is scheduled to re-open May 19, according to the CM ref guide dated 4/02.

Darkbeer
04-05-2004, 03:23 AM
SSL is scheduled to re-open May 19, according to the CM ref guide dated 4/02.
But the internal TDA computer system (where Driftwood gets his info) was just changed to show that it is not.....

EandCDad
04-05-2004, 05:56 AM
I'm guessing it was a dark ride or some sort of simulator? I never rode it. what was it like?

It was a dark ride. It sent you along a track in a ride vehicle that was your "Limo." You are a celebrity coming into town and the ride was themed to your trip through Hollywood. The audio-animatronics were of some mostly Disney connected actors (Drew Carey, Tim Allen, Regis Philbin). I think most people found the ride boring, poorly themed, and annoying. One of my daughters thought it was funny and it was something to do in the Hollywood Backlot area, so I hope it opens back up.

iwannabeanimagineer
04-05-2004, 06:25 AM
Imagine taking all the dolls out of It's a Small World and replacing them with disturbingly realistic miniature audioanimatronics of ABC "stars", then draining the canal and putting in Barbie limos on tracks. The best part is where a camera snaps a picture of your car and later in the attraction you encounter a large projection of your own image, complete with horrified expressions of disbelief. "Attraction" is too strong a noun for this thing.

JoeCanadian
04-05-2004, 07:41 AM
Is it possible, perhaps, that someone running the Disney theme parks keeps an eye on these messageboards just to get a general feel for what's popular and what's not?

I just ask because it seems fairly obvious that no one wants SSL open again :P haha and if they're not reading boards like these, I think it'd be a great idea - just in terms of saving the money required to get a ride that no one will go on up and running again.

blusilva
04-05-2004, 09:04 AM
disturbingly realistic miniature audioanimatronics of ABC "stars"

About the only words I can agree with in the above phrase are "disturbingly" and "ABC".

The attraction was populated with grotesquely exaggerated caricatures, some of which were nigh unrecognizable as anyone famous. That "Tim Allen" thing looked nothing like Tim Allen. They weren't audioanimatronics, they were little more than mannequins that swivelled on bases or had limited arm movement. And the closest thing to a "star" in that entire ride was the creepy little mannequin that was supposed to be Antonio Bandaras, which was groping a creeply little mannequin with a blonde wig and huge lips,which I suppose is Melanie Griffiths.

*shudder*

That ride was as close to a bad acid trip as I ever hope to come.

dude
04-05-2004, 09:31 AM
No, no. Winnie the Pooh is a bad acid trip. SSL was just outright bad.

I hope that they do not reopen this at all. Instead I think they should tear down that building and make a DCA Monorail stop. Now that's worth the money. You can park hop without having to walk across the espelande thingy. Of course if they did that, it would be hard to keep people who only bought DL tickets out of DCA, so they should just make it so that one ticket is good for both parks.

But back to SSL...I don't want to see it, most people I know don't want to see it, but if they open it up, there are plenty of people who have never seen it that want to see it, so the SSL crew would have about I guess a busy 2-3 days, then the horrific truth would come back, and they would close it again. If they are going to revive a dead attraction, it should be something in Tomorrowland not SSL.

sediment
04-05-2004, 09:44 AM
My version: Cast Member Matt finally rode the uncobwebbed version, and decided to close it forever. No ""glowing away party" or nothing.

Sometimes, "nothing" is better than "something."

Cancer Norm
04-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I believe that SuperStarLimo is quite possibly the worst thing that Disney has EVER built.
Question: :confused: What were they thinking?!! :eek:

JeffG
04-05-2004, 02:33 PM
I just ask because it seems fairly obvious that no one wants SSL open again

I'm not a big fan of the ride, but I would definitely like to see it re-open unless they are going to almost immediately start converting it into a new attraction. Frankly, it never should have closed in the first place. DCA doesn't have a huge number of attractions (particularly rides without restrictions) and it is ridiculous for them to have an entire attraction sitting unused simply because it isn't extremely well-liked.

-Jeff

spectromen
04-05-2004, 03:30 PM
Plus, I remember waiting darn near 30 minutes the one time I got to ride it. It was still getting the traffic, so why not? DCA needs dark rides!

sediment
04-05-2004, 03:33 PM
It is, quite possibly, THE signature ride of DCA. What ride most similarly describes what most of us feel about DCA?

GeminiAngel
04-05-2004, 05:39 PM
HMMM- from all I have read. sounds like I didn't miss much. actually I'm glad I haven't seen it. I really do not care to see what people refer to as "the worst attraction disney ever created" I've been depressed enough over the state of the whole place to begin with. And totally looking forward to the 50th celebration-where things will be better. :)

dude
04-06-2004, 10:30 AM
Hopefully...

The evidence is leaning toward better things, just go into Disneyland and look at all the refurbishments going on. Indiana Jones is a perfect example of a good ride refurb. Hopefully Tiki Room gets that kind of work when it goes for rehab. I also hope they bring back the PeopleMover, but I think that's a long shot.

Quinten27
04-06-2004, 11:12 AM
I'd like to see them replace SSL with something similiar to The Great Movie Ride at MGM in DW. I'd also like to see a "Studio Backlot Tour" ride in DCA too. I think the more they can make Hollywood Backlot like MGM Studios the better. (and ofcourse that includes the rumored Rock 'n Roller Coaster that may be coming)