PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's in the Magic Kingdom

Pages : [1] 2

blondiemouse
04-03-2004, 11:16 AM
Ok, a question from a dumb Englishman. How come McDonalds can only sell fries and sodas from their concession stands in the main park? Burger Invasion in DCA was perfect for us with two 9 year olds in tow (you know kids they love McDonalds).We didn't want sit down meals in the parks and thought there was a surprising lack of fast food outlets in the Disneyland park(yes I know they are there but weren't really what we fancied).The diner by Soarin' Over California was nice too(Total change of subject I so love that ride;why did we only go on it once ? - next time it will be high on the priorities list).So after all that rambling does anyone know why McDonalds can only sell fries and sodas ? Thanks guys :) :~D :geek:

danyoung
04-03-2004, 11:20 AM
I'm not certain, but I think it was a perception thing. McDonald's wanted their foot in the door, and Disney wanted their sponsorship bucks. But to open a full blown Mickey D's inside Walt's park would have been too much for us old die-hards. That's just my speculation, though.

blondiemouse
04-03-2004, 11:25 AM
So obvious I guess,thanks Dan

stan4d_steph
04-03-2004, 12:13 PM
I think there are plenty of other places to get a burger inside the park, there's no need to put a McDonalds in there. Plus, I would rather have different and unique dining experiences inside DL. If you want McDonalds, walk out of the front gate and head toward Harbor Blvd. There's one right there.

adriennek
04-03-2004, 12:28 PM
I think part of it has to do with McD's franchising agreement with the McD's across the street on Harbor.

Personally, I was in a Focus Group on July 17, 1997 and I begged them NOT to put McD's in Disneyland. I'd rather keep that part of the world "out" of the parks. Burger Invasion in DCA is more than enough McDonald's "invasion" for me. ;)

Adrienne

DisneyDustin22
04-03-2004, 05:58 PM
personally, i enjoy the burgers in fantasyland. taste MUCH better than any mcdonalds burger. the fries however, provide the perfect snack when making the trek from critter country to the rest of the park. :)

Mickeyslittlehelper
04-03-2004, 07:19 PM
I agree that you should not have a "full" McD's. I like the Westward Ho, it makes a great snack :~D . However I wish they would have a better burger place in the park, disney's own. They have the Hungry Bear, etc. which all have the "standard burger", but I think they should have a place like Taste Pilots in DL.

John

Pat-n-Eil
04-03-2004, 07:30 PM
I guess I'm in the minority. I wouldn't mind at all seeing the fry wagon offer up some McNuggets or a Big Mac, Quarter Pounder or other burger. I personally don't find the other burgers at th park to be all that great and I'd rather pay McDonalds prices (albeit the higher DL/DCA price) for something that is consistent and you know what you're gonna get versus the exhorbitant prices for everything else.

I don't understand why there is this angst over having a McDonalds at Disneyland - they can theme it however they want, but it isn't like lots and lots of other things at Disneyland don't have some kind of corporate tie in. Carnation, Monsanto, FedEx, Dole, Chevron.. And many things are produced by outside vendors as well, like their candy.. so what's the problem?

dghosthost
04-03-2004, 07:36 PM
The Hungry Bear used to have the greatest burgers years ago. Our family would avoid burgers for a couple weeks before we'd go to DL in the '70s and '80s just so we'd enjoy the bear burgers even more.

danyoung
04-04-2004, 05:35 AM
I don't understand why there is this angst over having a McDonalds at Disneyland...

I think the fear was that McD's isn't known for their sublety in marketing. How would you like to see Ronald McDonald cavorting with Mickey and Minnie inside the park? Just the intrusion of the golden arches is enough to send people screaming for another part of the park. It's all about escapism, and McD's is one of the biggest symbols of the great unwashed outside world.

EandCDad
04-04-2004, 06:19 AM
I think the fear was that McD's isn't known for their sublety in marketing. How would you like to see Ronald McDonald cavorting with Mickey and Minnie inside the park? Just the intrusion of the golden arches is enough to send people screaming for another part of the park. It's all about escapism, and McD's is one of the biggest symbols of the great unwashed outside world.

Disneyland could easily limit the types of corporate symbols (Ronald, big arches) if they opened something inside the park. I'm not saying I'm for it, they don't have burgers that are any better than the (mediocre) one's offered in Disneyland, but they could certainly keep issues like Ronald with Mickey out of the park.

I agree in some ways with Pat&Eil. The corporate sponsorship is all over the place. In fact, one of the Mouseadventure quests asked the question of "How Many Attractions in Tommorowland are 'Presented.'" You see the corporate names like Kodak, ATT, Minute Maid in different locations. I just wish if they did go outside for their burgers, they got good ones, not McDonalds.

Ghoulish Delight
04-04-2004, 10:01 AM
I just wish if they did go outside for their burgers, they got good ones, not McDonalds.That's the real point. Corporate sponsorship has always been a part of the parks, even in Walt's time. But McDonalds, while a strong force in business, is known for the lowest quality burgers around. To me, their brand of cheap fastfood doesn't belong in Disneyland.

Of course, the quality food inside Disneyland has been on the decline over the last decade anyway. Nothing used to excite me more than the promise of tortellini at the French Market. Sadly, the quality is just not there anymore.

Opus1guy
04-04-2004, 11:19 PM
blondiemouse...as a Brit, I know it might seem a little strange to connect Disneyland with McDonald's quite the way we do here in the U.S. Here their development and cultural impact on the U.S. population, especially in the 50's before you folks over there had ever even heard of McDonald's...was really quite pronounced and parallel in many ways.

Those of you with more interest in the long relationship between Disney and McDonald's should really pick up a copy of Eric Schlosser's book "Fast Food Nation." Not only does the author spend a good deal of the book on the relationship between McDonald's founder Ray Kroc and Walt Disney, but links much of what the two created with the optimistic Eisenhower area fascination with modern technology and it's cultural impact in the U.S. It's really a good read for any Disney fan.

As far as the relationship between Disneyland and McDonald's goes, it actually goes all the way back to 1954! Here's part of a 1954 letter from McDonald's Kroc to Walt:

Dear Walt,

I feel somewhat presumptuous addressing you in this way yet I feel sure you would not want me to address you any other way. [snip] I have very recently taken over the national franchise of the McDonald's system. I would like to inquire if there may be an opportunity for a McDonald's in your Disneyland Development.

It is assumed that Walt was not really interested in tiny little upstart McDonald's at that time, and was looking for bigger more established fish to hook for park participation.

But as McDonald's quickly grew, Schlosser noted:
Indeed, the corporate culture of McDonald's seems inextricably linked to that of the Disney empire, sharing a reverence for sleek machinery, electronics, and automation.

When Kroc decided to install McDonaldlands at his bigger units, he hired Disney art directors to design them and even contracted with the Sherman Brothers to compose the music for the television commercials. Kroc later even lured several Disney executives away from the Mouse to come work for him.

Later in the book, when McDonald's consummated it's 10-year global multi-million dollar corporate alliance for both film and theme park participation in 1996, Schlosser writes:

The life's work of Walt Disney and Ray Kroc had come full-circle, uniting in perfect synergy. McDonald's began to sell its hamburgers and french fries at Disney's theme parks. The ethos of McDonaldland and of Disneyland, never far apart, have finally become one.

So in a sense, it could be argued that the relationship between these 2 was almost destined to happen sooner or later.

All three of our SoCal origin fast food joints, McDonald's, Carl's Jr, and In 'n Out really could have made sense being in California Adventure. I think In 'n Out would have really fit in better because of that '50s act they hang on to and the fact that I just think their burgers are better! ;)

But all 3 of the founders of those "burger joints" had a strong relationship and connection with Disneyland. Of course Carl Karcher opened his first unit in Anaheim and his company is still based there just a stone's throw from the Disneyland Resort. Ray Kroc and Walt were ambulance drivers in World War I (experts feel both of their passions for "cleanliness" come from the horrid conditions experienced by them in Europe) and share much of the same Midwest upbringing. Finally, the late Dale Snyder of In 'N Out...he readily admitted he took many of his cues from Disneyland on hiring and training friendly employees, cleanliness, and he even copied the Disney football nametag for his own employees!

And all three...Kroc, Karcher and Snyder...were fans of Disneyland, and all three were members of Club 33! I remember attending several "Members Only" dinner events there as a guest, where all 3 were present. At one Karcher walked around the dining room handing every person coupons for free hamburgers. You could see Kroc stewing! Not to be outdone, next time there was Kroc handing out coupons for not only for a free burger, but a free order of fries and a shake as well! Pretty memorable and funny to see these giants of the fast food industry handing out free burger coupons as the Club 33 waiters delivered the Chateaubriand and wine to the tables! The place was really cracking up! :) Snyder was a particular favorite of Club 33 Cast Members, for his extreme friendliness. It was a sad time at the Club when Dale was killing in a private jet accident approaching Orange County Airport for landing. :(

Anyway, do pick up the book if you get a chance. I believe it's still being published, but you can probably find it cheap at a lot of secondhand bookstores too.

danyoung
04-05-2004, 04:22 AM
Interesting info. Thanks for posting! (BTW, In'N'Out RULES!!!!)

04-05-2004, 05:14 AM
Of course, the quality food inside Disneyland has been on the decline over the last decade anyway.

What GD said. ;)

blondiemouse
04-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Wow ! there seems to be a real history here, no wonder people are so passionate in their opinions,that was real interesting Opus1guy-thanks.I guess at the moment the food carts don't scream "It's a McDonalds" at you ,would you guys object to them being allowed to sell burgers from these stalls ? Or would that just be the beginning of them getting one of the larger restaurants and splashing big M's and having Ronald running around ? :) :~D :D :cool:

BryanPeek
04-05-2004, 01:20 PM
I just have to words...Hungry Bear.

Cancer Norm
04-05-2004, 01:30 PM
McDonald's burgers are no different in quality than the burgers that are already sold there. If Disney does make some sort of move, let's hope they aim a little higher than MickeyD. :cool:

EandCDad
04-05-2004, 02:15 PM
(BTW, In'N'Out RULES!!!!)

I second this.

CarlieB
04-05-2004, 02:25 PM
I've gotta try an In 'n' Out Burger next time I'm in the States...:~D

Opus1guy
04-05-2004, 02:34 PM
blondiemouse questions:
I guess at the moment the food carts don't scream "It's a McDonalds" at you ,would you guys object to them being allowed to sell burgers from these stalls ? Or would that just be the beginning of them getting one of the larger restaurants and splashing big M's and having Ronald running around ?

Well actually they do have 2 full size restaurants in Disney Parks already, that I know of. One in Disney's California Adventure and one in Walt Disney World's Animal Kingdom.

Both of these are well designed into the theme of the area they are located in IMHO, and you'd hardly even know they were affiliated with McDonald's until you went up and looked at the menuboard.

I often wonder if McDonald's had sponsored say...Tomorrowland Terrace...way back in the early 60's or something, if we wouldn't today just accept them as a part of the normal Disneyland landscape like we accept Kodak or any number of other participants. Perhaps even if they had then pulled out, many of you would be lamenting their passage in threads about old Disneyland restaurants of the past. ;)

Me? I miss Don Defoe's Silver Banjo BBQ. Ummmmmmm. Ribs. :)

JeffG
04-05-2004, 02:43 PM
I've gotta try an In 'n' Out Burger next time I'm in the States...:~D

Don't get your expectations up to high...

-Jeff

Morrigoon
04-05-2004, 02:58 PM
Hey, the fries may be an acquired taste, but the burgers and shakes can't be beat!

Personally, I would have liked to see In 'n Out as a DCA restaurant rather than McD's. Hmm... you know, DtD could use a burger franchise. Imagine a walk-up In 'n Out in Dtd! :)

Opus1guy
04-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Imagine a walk-up In 'n Out in Dtd!

Yeah baby! :)

But could you imagine the line? Would make Star Tours opening week look like a walk in the park.

And half the other restaurants in the area would see their business drop by 50% at least. ;)

cstephens
04-05-2004, 05:01 PM
Hey, the fries may be an acquired taste, but the burgers and shakes can't be beat!

I'm one of those who is willing to eat at In 'N Out if forced, but it's definitely not my choice. The fries were horrendous - I've tried them multiple times, and I'd rather have not-fresh-out-of-the-fryer McDonalds' fries than even fresh InO fries. The burgers and shakes are good, but I can definitely think of other places that are as good and definitely better.