PDA

View Full Version : Mickey's Mix Magic

cstephens
01-21-2019, 11:45 AM
Had a chance to watch Mickey's Mix Magic on Saturday night from Main Street. It's advertised as a dance party atmosphere, which is also true of the style of the song mixes, which is also why it's also not really my thing. I get why others might like it. I appreciate the technology of the projections but I have specific opinions about the use of projection shows. If they use images to enhance the music and tell a story, that's great. But when it's just footage from films of the characters singing that particular song, I think it's very unengaging and allows the viewer to just be passive and lazy. I did like the projections done with Halloween Screams, so I'm not exactly sure what I think is different about those. I thought the fireworks for the show were terrific (it was definitely a full fireworks show overall, though it was not continuous - there had been a little bit of discussion about it on another thread), and there were some new stuff that was pretty interesting. I'll probably watch once from it's a small world and once from the Fantasmic area to see how the projections are from there, as I think they're saying they're different. But other than watching the fireworks portion on occasion, it's not a show I expect to see often.

kaybee2
01-21-2019, 07:57 PM
I'm heading down to spend Thurs/Fri at the parks and am wondering how to know if there will be fireworks with the show on those evenings. As I understand it, they are doing it with and without fireworks?

olegc
01-22-2019, 12:19 PM
no official announcement has been made of when fireworks would be on or off. Speculation on Mouseplanet and elsewhere was that weekend nights would have fireworks.

From what I have seen/read about the show Im in the same boat as cstephens. I see why others like it- but not for me. Except on opening night - so many folks cheering for every little thing... "OMG, Snow... OMG Lasers... OMG those characters"... someone was auditioning for a commercial or something..

Malcon10t
01-22-2019, 12:22 PM
I'm heading down to spend Thurs/Fri at the parks and am wondering how to know if there will be fireworks with the show on those evenings. As I understand it, they are doing it with and without fireworks?They should be doing fireworks with it at least on Friday night. THAT SAID, if winds are heavy aloft (not winds on the ground) fireworks will get cancelled.

kaybee2
01-23-2019, 07:11 AM
Thanks for confirming what I suspected - hopefully, we'll get some fireworks on Friday. Malcon10t, I hear you on the winds...a family friend who worked in Disney Pyro once told us about the white balloon that they send up shortly before shows to check winds (even in this age of computer data). Said it was their best indicator as to what those high winds are up to!

Malcon10t
01-23-2019, 08:29 AM
Thanks for confirming what I suspected - hopefully, we'll get some fireworks on Friday. Malcon10t, I hear you on the winds...a family friend who worked in Disney Pyro once told us about the white balloon that they send up shortly before shows to check winds (even in this age of computer data). Said it was their best indicator as to what those high winds are up to!

Yes, we love watching for the white balloons. If there are winds, you will see several as they wait to determine if it is safe. We've watched them go up, watched the drift and packed up before the announcement was even made. Someone asked how we knew, and we explained the balloons.

GrumpyGoofyGuy
01-24-2019, 10:11 PM
Any reports on which nights they do the Mix and fireworks, VS just the Mix?

FeistyDisneyMom
01-28-2019, 08:25 PM
Any idea if the fireworks can be seen offsite like some of the previous shows? Or does it not make sense for this show?

FeistyDisneyMom
01-28-2019, 08:26 PM
Any reports on which nights they do the Mix and fireworks, VS just the Mix?

The entertainment schedule appears to be listing 'Mickey's Mix Magic With Fireworks' explicitly versus 'Mickey's Mix Magic', so we should be able to tell if fireworks are planned.

olegc
01-28-2019, 09:17 PM
Any idea if the fireworks can be seen offsite like some of the previous shows? Or does it not make sense for this show?The fireworks parts of the show do get launched from the traditional platform backstage behind Toontown. So the nights where they are included you should be able to see them from the Esplanade and the M&F structure. However, the show is only 10 min long so there may not be that much to watch.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

GrumpyGoofyGuy
01-29-2019, 09:38 AM
The entertainment schedule appears to be listing 'Mickey's Mix Magic With Fireworks' explicitly versus 'Mickey's Mix Magic', so we should be able to tell if fireworks are planned.

That helps now that they split it into the 2 different activities.