PDA

View Full Version : Wouldn't it be great if Disneyland had a webcam?

Hakuna Makarla
04-02-2004, 02:19 PM
I could see everything going on and it would feel( almost like I am there.
Do any of the resorts have web cams?

Moonliner
04-02-2004, 02:36 PM
Well not officially, but on Tuesday.....

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=27063

:geek:

Darren
04-02-2004, 06:53 PM
I was wondering where the best place for a web cam might be?

Hub?

Fantasyland?

Splash?

NO Square?

Any thoughts?

For me, a view down Main Street would be the best.

MotorBoat Cruiser
04-02-2004, 11:43 PM
A good place might be above Pirates, facing Tom Sawyer's Island. Then you could watch the Mark Twain, Columbia, canoes, and Fantasmic. :)

TP2000
04-03-2004, 12:20 AM
Back in the late 90's when the web was really starting to take off the official disney.com website had webcams from both Florida and California. They were aimed at the Castle(s) from roughly the middle of Main Street, and they were a good indicator of the weather, crowds and current events taking place in the Hub(s) and Main Street(s). They were a bit crude and offered a refreshed picture every few minutes, but they worked.

I have no idea why they had those five years ago, but they don't have them now.

Bruce Bergman
04-03-2004, 07:12 AM
A good place might be above Pirates, facing Tom Sawyer's Island. Then you could watch the Mark Twain, Columbia, canoes, and Fantasmic. :)

Gee, what a co-inky-dink! They have one there, broadcast quality, even! :p

It is used often as the background for the weather cut-ins and as a fade to some of the commercial breaks on KABC Channel 7 in Los Angeles. It is in a weatherproof enclosure with a tilt-and-pan mounting, cleverly disguised as a (rural mailbox shaped) chimney draft hood. ;)

And there's a second camera in DCA (that looks from the angle to be on the roof of Golden Dreams) aimed across the lake at California Screamin' and the Sun Wheel.

The problem comes in when people want web access to it - can you imagine the amount of Internet traffic that web-cam would generate? :eek: You could bring down the whole West Coast, if you think "slash-dotting" someone's site to death with a crush of traffic is bad, this could be worse. :geek:

I would love to have a "Live" streaming webcam window as my wallpaper, and so would a whole pile of other Disney geeks who have broadband connections available. :fez: You just have the practical problem to solve of how to get it to everyone. They would have to perfect a way to stream it (ONE stream) to all the big ISP's and corporate web servers, and cache it there for distribution...

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--