PDA

View Full Version : Mr. Geek Goes to Disneyland

Moonliner
04-02-2004, 01:57 PM
Mr. Geek Goes To Disneyland.

This Tuesday (April 6th) I will be making my long awaited trip to Disneyland in grand uber-geek style. During my visit I will be uploading live photos from the park throughout the day. Starting early on Tuesday you can visit my photo album site and get frequent updates as I visit each attraction. Updates will continue until I run out of battery power or get tired of doing it...

The web site for the album will be:
http://public.fotki.com/imageer8796/
(Right now it just has some test shots...)

On Tuesday, you can IM me using MSN Messenger to request a specific shot at:
MoonlinerDL@hotmail.com

(no promise I will respond....)

or Email me (live) at:
moonliner@cruxinc.com

For the techo-geeks out there here are the technical details:

I will be using my new I-mate Pocket PC phone edition ( http://pcmag.dit.net/reviews/review.php?id=EpZAuFlyuVUMEDqCrC )

It's a GPRS based device that has Internet connectivity via T-mobile (~56k)

It's built in camera is VGA quality so don't expect too great a photo album.

The software to auto-upload photos is Spb Imageer and the photos go to my album at fotki.com.

:geek: :geek: (<-- Double Geek seal of approval)

Ps. If this goes well I'll do a bouns round from my VIP tour of USH the next day (Wednesday April 7th, watch out CoasterMatt your on GeekCamera!)

Hakuna Makarla
04-02-2004, 03:44 PM
I am thrilled!! now I can see some things that I want to see. the gate coming into the park, the resturants and of course the castle. thanks much I look forward to seeing your pictures all day**Karla

SCUBAbe
04-02-2004, 08:03 PM
that sounds really cool. I can't wait it check it out! :cool:

Moonliner
04-02-2004, 08:46 PM
I am thrilled!! now I can see some things that I want to see. the gate coming into the park, the resturants and of course the castle. thanks much I look forward to seeing your pictures all day**Karla
The castle?? Well of course the castle!

One shot of the front gate coming up.

The only resturant I plan to visit is the Blue Byou but I'll be sure to get a shot or two there. Plus of course the door to Club-33 (If anyone reading this can get me inside to snap a photo or two for Karla let me know... :) )

CoasterMatt
04-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Are you planning on visiting any "other" parks on this visit? :D

Have a blast!

Moonliner
04-03-2004, 06:27 AM
Are you planning on visiting any "other" parks on this visit?

Have a blast!

Why Yes, I am planning to visit another park.

How did you know??

As mentioned briefly above, if all goes well with the dress rehersal at DL on Tuesday I'll update the site with the main attraction: Universal Studios Hollywood.

Then as long as I'm at it, Thursday is Knotts and then Friday is the El Capitan for "home on the range" plus the Dodgers/Diamondbacks game.

Today (Saturday) I'm doing a dry run and just uploading a bunch of test photos. I was not able to get a second battery delivered with the pocket pc (ahh life on the bleeding edge...) so I have some serious concerns about how long I can take photos, upload them and IM with people without draining the battery.

If you are planning to drop in on the Tuesday session and have an MSN Messenger account you should IM me sometime today so I can get you added to my buddy list. After all if you're on MP you’re family!

danyoung
04-03-2004, 11:28 AM
What a cool use of technology. I know you're doing this to satisfy your own techo-geek sensibilities, as would I. But I loudly thank you for the service. I hope I can still manage to get some work done Tuesday!

Moonliner
04-03-2004, 06:31 PM
It looks like todays test went well. I unplugged the pocket-pc from it's charger around 7:00am and it was still running at 6:00pm. I uploaded a bunch of photos to the site (nothing much to look at, yet). Other than a few issues with rotation it worked like a charm.

I'll probably add a few pictures from my fishing trip on Monday and then start bright and early Tuesday with the gates to the kingdom, or perhaps the parking structure...

ToursbabeC3po
04-03-2004, 10:28 PM
Hey you better Come to star tours and take a picture of me :-)

Moonliner
04-04-2004, 03:03 AM
Hey you better Come to star tours and take a picture of me :-)
Gee I don't know I've heard that you are "a mean lady" :)

I'll be looking for you...

ToursbabeC3po
04-04-2004, 08:08 AM
Gee I don't know I've heard that you are "a mean lady" :)

I'll be looking for you...

No worries Only the people in Orange bite at Star Tours.

Moonliner
04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
I've made it to California! Yea. I'm about to get to sleep, tomorrow I'm up bright and early (4:30am Ouch!) to get on the road to DL. First stop will be guest services at about 7:15am to pickup some tickets. Then I'll start with a photo from outside the font gate (unless the parking lot looks interesting) from there I will upload sets of photos as I move through the park.

Have fun with the site (see the frist message) and if you happen to be at the park tomorrow look for me (6' 2", beard, green Oakland A's hat...)

Over and out!

Moonliner
04-06-2004, 03:38 AM
It's 4:37am local time and I'm out the door on the way to DL. For anyone who cares to follow along look for the first update around 7:30am PST.

The web site is:

http://public.fotki.com/imageer8796/

Hakuna Makarla
04-06-2004, 05:18 AM
I am watching you LOL! will be looking thru out the day, thanks **KArla

Moonliner
04-06-2004, 05:28 AM
OK. The first two photos are up. It's possible I overestimated my travel time. Looks like I'm the FIRST person here. The gates into the lot are still locked.... I do have a good view of the tower I'll upload with the nexr batch. I don't expect to do too many more of these messages tapping on the screen is slow.... bye for now.

Hakuna Makarla
04-06-2004, 03:49 PM
LOL! I think you did ha ha ha its still dark out there.
I have been to the site all day, great job!

sediment
04-06-2004, 03:55 PM
Hey, Moony, please get a picture of Cast Member Matt!
No, I don't know what he looks like. No, I don't know if he'll be in the park. That's all part of the fun.

Moonliner
04-06-2004, 11:48 PM
Greetings!

I've made it back home. Overall I'd give the "real time" photo experiment a C+. Battery power did well, It lasted from 7:30am to about 7:00pm. The only real issue was that I was unable to upload many of the photos I took. Some got through but others refused to go. I'll have to look into that a bit later. Right now it's off to bed. I have to be up early for Universal tomorrow. I'll probably post a few shots from there but not as many as today.

Over and out.