PDA

View Full Version : Minnies Xmas Party

Pages : [1] 2

baileykat
10-19-2001, 08:04 AM
I was just on the Disney site looking to see if they had changed park hours for our visit ( Dec 16 & 17)...and they had show schedules up for that time...They listed Minnies Christmast Party in Fatasyland Theater...anyone seen this or is this new?????

They still have late park hours for those two days...I"m sure for holiday season!

GoldenEars
10-19-2001, 08:25 PM
I haven't heard a thing about Disney doing any type of show at the Fantasyland Theatre, let alone it being a holiday show!

Where did you hear/see this? Altho, the title sounds really cute and one can only hope they do something holidayish.

However, it would make more sense to put a holiday show at the Hyperion Theatre at DCA, since that Park needs more business!

Patrick:)

baileykat
10-20-2001, 08:55 AM
At least they are having a holiday show...I was going to be really upset if there wasn't a show in Fantasy Theater..it's one of my fav's...time to relax...the kids like them...I just hope it's not too bad!

Morrigoon
10-20-2001, 03:34 PM
Hate to be pessimistic, I'm sure it'll be cute enough... but I cannot resist being sarcastic, so here's my sarcastic, pessimistic prediction of what the show will be like:

Minnie prepares for the arrivals of her guests. They arrive, one by one (or in small groups), they sing a xmas song. Someone comes but keeps being missed until nearly the end. Goofy slips and falls and does other wacky things. There's a scary creature that everybody keeps running from until the end when they discover its really a friendly creature - probably a country bear. Everyone's together at the end and they all sing again.

Lame plot, but it'll be cute enough ;)

I'll probably go see it.

I'll probably go more than once, unless it's "S.I.T. awful".

I'd rather see a shortened version of Mickey's Christmas Carol though - wouldn't you love to see a stage show starring Scrooge?

tinkfreak
10-20-2001, 06:03 PM
While I have heard that something is being planned for the Fantasyland Theater, I think that "Minnie's Christmas Party" is a smaller scale show that will also be a meet and greet at Silly Symphony (Carnation Plaza).

On another note - Sorry DsneNut, but I'm sick to death of everything going to DCA because they need business. (Electrical Parade, Cast Xmas party, the list goes on...)

Morrigoon
10-20-2001, 06:15 PM
The Disney Family Xmas party is in DCA this year? How lame! Well, it saves me the trouble of trying to find a cm friend to take me. >:P

tinkfreak
10-20-2001, 08:38 PM
It's just a rumor, but it's a rumor I've heard over and over...

EandCDad
11-03-2001, 07:27 AM
Saw Minnies Christmas Party yesterday. A cute little show that the kids will enjoy. I'm sure many posters will not like it as it is a fairly basic show with singing and corny jokes, but my kids liked it and want to see it again. The non-character actor/singers were extremely talented. Worth checking out.

lisap
11-03-2001, 07:50 AM
I enjoyed it--all the classic characters and songs. The kids gave a cheer each time a new character came on stage. A bit light on plot :D

Spoiler
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>

The only thing that bothered me a bit was the use of the snow machines at the end of the show. I felt it stole the thunder a bit from the holiday fireworks/big finish. Yes, it's a very cool innovation, but please don't beat it to death.

Overall, it's great for the kiddies.

tjrj
11-03-2001, 11:55 AM
Just re-checked on the Disneyland.com website the available shows for during the time that we will be there. Up until now, "Minnie's Very Merry Christmas Party'(or something close to that) was listed every day of our visit(Nov. 30-Dec. 3). Now, however, it was only listed on Friday and Saturday. May be more evidence of the performance cut-backs. :(

stinkerbell
11-03-2001, 02:39 PM
So excited there is snow at this show. Takes the pressure off missing part of Believe to see Luminaria and vice versa. Snow and characters--that's what my six year old is looking forward to! OK, me too really. I haven't been to DL at Christmas in years! The last time I saw Christmas there was one August a few years back when Mervyn's was filming a commercial on Main St. near the hub and my hero Joe Montana was there and Main St. was decorated AND it was about 100 degrees soaking wet in the shade. Such a bizarre day.

Sounds like a hokey little show. Can't wait!

EandCDad
11-03-2001, 03:50 PM
Basically this show is perfect for six year olds. If not the target audience, clearly the ones who will love it the most. Have fun.

Morrigoon
11-03-2001, 07:59 PM
Stinkerbell:

If you see the snow effect before you see it during the fireworks, it'll really lose its impact. It'll still be cool, but seeing with the fireworks makes you want to cry (and I have seen people cry). But then again, you'll get to see Luminaria.

But I'd recommend if you're there a few days, try to see fireworks first, then the minnie's show (if that's possible).

GoldenEars
11-03-2001, 08:32 PM
OMG! The show is sooooooooo adorably cute, I really enjoyed it!
As soon as I saw the stage setting, I knew it was going to be a cute little show! Now, altho it's not *Animazement* or even the holiday favorite, *Mickey's Nutcracker*, it's still really adorable!

If you're hoping for a big, lavish stage show, with lots of singers and dancers...well, you'll be very disappointed. Instead, you have a lot of the main Disney characters with 2 singers/dancers, one female and one male. They sing all your holiday favorites, along with a couple of new ones.

Infact, the girl I saw tonight is the same one who did *Ariel* in *Animazement*, and plays *Dorothy* in *Chance To Shine* over at DCA. She (and the guy) were VERY good, and their voices are top notch!!

You know, with the holidays always seeming to be rushed and everything *over the top*...well, it's nice to sit at the Fantasyland Theatre and watch a small, simple stage production that will make you feel all warm and cozy inside. Perhaps it'll make you sing along to the tunes. But whatever it is, I'm sure it'll leave you feeling good inside, with a big smile on your face! Thanks to Disney for even doing a holiday stage show, and not cutting the entire entertainment compeletly!

Patrick:p

PS One of my personal favorite moments in the show is when the two singers are singing a beautiful ballad number to sign language, it's very touching! And of course, the finale!:D

wonderful
11-03-2001, 08:47 PM
And, in my opinion, seeing a FEW times...
It is, well, CHEAP! But, as someone else pointed out, over the top is not always necessary. The show is not "new " either, as a friend of mine pointed out it is a revamped touring show that Disney used to do around the world. Still, a bunch of classic characters taking the stage is great (since they are almost always left behind for the latest characters as far as shows go) and some great Christmas songs to get you in the holiday mood is really ALL that is needed (too bad noone caught on to this with the Hyperion across the way... BLAST ought to be cool, but we probably spent way too much when, for once, we could've got away with a cheaper Character show!).
As for the snow, well, I think it is just great! There are so many families that miss is because the fireworks are late and kids just love it! Besides, the effect is now as "common place" to the eyes as the Electrical Parade or the facade of small world holiday... you know it, but it still amazes you! It DOES take away from the impact on crowds for the fireworks... and that is GOOD!

Morrigoon
11-03-2001, 09:11 PM
Well, the good thing is, a show like that generally attracts the younger guests, the ones who, as you mentioned, would not make it all the way to the fireworks. And one-timers rarely stop for minor shows, so it wouldn't mess up the fireworks snow for them either. I guess that works out okay. But I agree... they should not overuse a great effect.

bluepearl
11-03-2001, 11:52 PM
I saw the show today - my first time in Fantasyland Theater, after years of visiting Disneyland! :p

Anyway, I thought the show was a bit cheesy, but adorable all the same. Definitely cute for the kids - I found it amusing the way Chip and Dale laughed throughout the show.

I'm curious - how many different males/females are tapped into perform the show? I mean, I know that the hosts at Innoventions in DL and Drawn To Animation at DCA often do double duty, working at both attractions (not on the same day, of course). I'm really curious about how that works...the male performer I saw today looked a bit like Sean Hayes.

GoldenEars
11-04-2001, 02:08 AM
Minnie's Christmas Party is more than just for kids, it's also for the *kid at heart* too...like me! So it's a bit cheesy, it's still a very cute show and can bring a smile to your heart...if people will just allow it and open themselves up to it!

As for the show, usually there are 2 different casts. There can be the weekday and weekend cast or, a 3 day and 4 day cast. And with that, they usually have *stand-ins* too, incase one get sick or something like that. I can see where being happy and jolly all day would get to the performers, LOL!!

And I saw the show for the first time on Saturday night too but, I didn't think the guy looked like Sean Hayes. Was the guy you saw black? Don't get me wrong, he was very good and I loved his singing voice...it could get real deep!

Anyway, like I said, I'm just glad Disney put something together and gave us this cute holiday show.:p

Patrick

stinkerbell
11-04-2001, 10:00 AM
Thanks for all the posts on this. We'll be there 11/29-12/3 and I plan to see this show at least twice.... I'll take your advice on the snow effects! I guess my schedule is getting a little more set in stone--Friday night-Believe, Sat. Minnie's Christmas twice and Luminaria at night. I wish I could do Believe and Luminaria more than once each, though. I need to recheck Sunday's schedule. My daughter will love all the characters in the show! Cheap is good sometimes. I'm looking forward to the combination of the hokey, feel-good emotions that only the mixture of Disneyland and Christmastime can evoke.....

bluepearl
11-04-2001, 12:08 PM
Patrick: I agree - it's definitely a cute show for the "kid at heart." I found it amusing...there were parts that were a little too sugary for me, but I enjoyed it all the same! And I caught the 4PM show - the male performer was a white male. I suppose that if Sean Hayes gained several pounds, he'd look like this guy! He had a nice voice too. I'm determined to convince my family to go to Disneyland for the holidays! It's something we've never done - at least I can't ever remember being in Disneyland for the holidays!

baileykat
11-04-2001, 03:12 PM
Thanks everyone for the input...I really appreciate this mouseplanet board...it's like having a direct line to Disneyland...if I have a question, you guys always have an answer...sometimes I get more of an answer than I asked for...but that comes with the territory...I think that we will hit Luminaria on Sat night...do DCA on Sat night...yes I'm going to go to DCA...I'm giving in....then hit DL on Sunday...do Believe on Sun night...then catch Minnie show on Monday...don't want to spoil the snow effect....I'm so excited...sounds like my kinda show...I love cheese!!!!!!

dena

Morrigoon
11-04-2001, 03:15 PM
Here's a question... is believe running a)daily, b)fri/sat/sun, or c)fri/sat only?

EandCDad
11-04-2001, 03:20 PM
According to our map it was going to run nightly. It ran nightly last year (I think) but that was pre-hell breaks loose.

stinkerbell
11-05-2001, 12:18 PM
On Disney.com, Believe is still scheduled to run daily, but Minnie's Christmas party is just Fri and Sat, 6 shows/day still. (hoping they'll increase # of days closer to Christmas........):rolleyes:

Maleficent0
11-10-2001, 07:34 AM
Saw the show last night, and my 3 year old (now a paying adult annual passholder, rat bastard Disney) enjoyed the show.

Just a point on the people who were complaining about the snow. My 3-year is wiped out, and knocked out cold by 8 p.m. when we visit. I'm always disappointed that she doesn't stay up for the snow. I was *SOOOOO* happy when it snowed at this show, so she could enjoy it while she was still awake.