PDA

View Full Version : Indy is open today 4/1 (and I ain't fooling)

Pages : [1] 2

Not Afraid
04-01-2004, 10:51 AM
I just received a message from Disney Nick who is at Disneyland today. He reported that Indiana Jones is open. However, there is not Fast Pass of Single Rider available today.

YAY:cool:

Thanks Nick!

He's waiting in line to ride as I type. I'll post more if he sends more news.

happyhaunts999
04-01-2004, 10:54 AM
Wow it has soft opened a whole day before it was suposed to. Have the walls come down, how are the effects, we all are dying to know.

Disney Nick
04-01-2004, 02:35 PM
The walls are down and Indy is running like NA posted. Some of the effects still aren't working yet (like the giant snake), but it all looks pretty good and smooth. The lava looks better than it has recently and the bug room is looking really good. The projection is so crisp now.

Also, it looks like they are going to start utilizing the queue again. It looks like they didn't have FastPass today because they are trying to re-work how the line is going to work. They had people inside of the room before the room where they play the movie and in the room where they play the movie. These guys were holding the line at a few different points and some people were coming in at them, though I'm not sure who they were (looked like average guests, but with no FP or SR, who were they??). Anyways, this should be good news for all of us who thought the line was under-used.

Chemmech
04-01-2004, 08:29 PM
Yeay!!! :)

bptheclown
04-01-2004, 08:50 PM
can't wait to ride it :D undefined

bptheclown
04-01-2004, 08:51 PM
this is my frist post :fez:

Chemmech
04-01-2004, 08:56 PM
I'll be there tommorrow morning :p

Disneyfreak
04-01-2004, 10:57 PM
The walls are down and Indy is running like NA posted. Some of the effects still aren't working yet (like the giant snake), but it all looks pretty good and smooth. The lava looks better than it has recently and the bug room is looking really good. The projection is so crisp now.

Also, it looks like they are going to start utilizing the queue again. It looks like they didn't have FastPass today because they are trying to re-work how the line is going to work. They had people inside of the room before the room where they play the movie and in the room where they play the movie. These guys were holding the line at a few different points and some people were coming in at them, though I'm not sure who they were (looked like average guests, but with no FP or SR, who were they??). Anyways, this should be good news for all of us who thought the line was under-used.

That's really cool. How do they pull off the ride without the snake and some of the major effects?

tahnok100
04-02-2004, 12:01 AM
No Snake?! Very surprising that they would run it without such a major effect. I wonder if it will be working today?

Disney Nick
04-02-2004, 02:00 AM
Let me rephrase that. The snake is there (but it looks different than the last one... maybe its just me though), but he doesn't do any movement... just hisses. I'll be riding again first thing this morning, but I won't be able to get online until later that day. I'll let NA know what's up.

Disneyfreak
04-02-2004, 06:44 AM
Tell us if the snake is working today. I guess the rumors were true about them having problems with the new snake. Thats pretty impressive how they just opened the ride without it working, it isnt their character to do a thing like that. That certainly would be interesting to people with ap's. :) I just hope it is working tonight when I go there.

Ghoulish Delight
04-02-2004, 08:29 AM
Tell us if the snake is working today. I guess the rumors were true about them having problems with the new snake. Thats pretty impressive how they just opened the ride without it working, it isnt their character to do a thing like that. That certainly would be interesting to people with ap's. :) I just hope it is working tonight when I go there.Yesterday's opening was a "soft opening," meaning it wasn't the official announced openeing date. They do it for exactly this reason, as a grand dress rehersal to sort out the last few bugs they have, and find the ones that innevitibly pop up once you go live. I wouldn't be surprised to see everything that DisneyNick mentioned working today ('course, I wouldn't be surpirsed if a couple of them aren't either....)

Airspoon
04-02-2004, 10:41 AM
Yesterday's opening was a "soft opening," meaning it wasn't the official announced openeing date. They do it for exactly this reason, as a grand dress rehersal to sort out the last few bugs they have, and find the ones that innevitibly pop up once you go live. I wouldn't be surprised to see everything that DisneyNick mentioned working today ('course, I wouldn't be surpirsed if a couple of them aren't either....)

Exactly how do they sort the bugs on the Indy Ride? Is it by size, by color, or by the number of legs?

Can't wait to ride it again!

JenGood008
04-02-2004, 10:42 AM
So I just had to go ride Indy last night, and it seemed to me that more effects were broken than when it closed! Like Disney Nick mentioned, the queue had been changed so you were stopped in several places and more of the queue was used. This included the room with the rope in the middle that you can pull to hear noises that we haven't used for a long time (sorry, I know it has a name but I just don't know what it is!). Unfortunately, nothing happened when you pulled on the rope. Also, it looked like a few new props had been added to the queue in several places. You were also stopped in the "film room" so you could watch the safety video. This seemed like a great idea to me because it really felt like a preshow and did a great job of telling the story (especially to guests that had never been on the ride before).

There was a new Spanish (at least I think they are new...) safety speil after you go up the stairs, and the volume seemed to be turned up louder than I remember it ( I know this will thrill the pants off of some padders! ;) )At the loading area, there were new bamboo-like safety gates. I thought they looked nice and fit in well with the theme. The beginning of the ride seemed pretty much the same as before the rehab. Are the eyes of the little Mara above the door supposed to light up? I wasn't sure, but it seemed like they used to. Anyway, they didn't and then the eyes on the big Mara didn't seem to look any different than before, either . I wasn't exactly sure what these were supposed to do...

We pulled around that corner (before the "stairs") and I noticed that there was still no fire in Mara's eye. I hope that they didn't take this out for good!Nothing seemed different to me until the bug room, which looked fantastic! They were much clearer like Disney Nick mentioned, and now they actually look like real bugs! The snake actually didn't look too different to me. If they did change it, the differences aren't huge except, as mentioned, the snake just sat there and hissed with no movement :confused: . At this point, I was starting to think, 'OK, what is going on here? I thought this just came back from a rehab!'
the rest of the ride seemed pretty much the same, except that the "rat" projection seemed to be clearer than before, and looked pretty good.

I also forgot to mention that there were new seat belts and (I believe) new speakers on the cars. The ride, overall, felt nice and smooth like everything had just been oiled, and all of the paint looked pretty fresh. I guess I was just disappointed that a lot of the effects were not working :rolleyes: , but hopefully they will get all of the bugs worked out soon and Indy will look good as new.

AVP
04-02-2004, 11:32 AM
I tried to ride Indy today, to check out the post-rehab effects.

Got into the standby line, estimated at 20 minutes. So far so good.

Waited 5 minutes to actually JOIN the line. Seriously - they had someone standing under the time signs, holding us there. Standbys couldn't move, FastPassers couldn't move. Then they finally let us go to our respective lines.

Waited 5 more minutes for them to let us walk up to the temple itself.

Waited 5 minutes at the entrance to the Bat Cave.

Waited 5 minutes at the entrance to the Excavation Room.

Waited 20 minutes at the entrance to the film room, while two cast members stood in a roped-off area of the excavation room and chatted with one another. Obviously the ride was 101, but they could not be bothered to actually explain that to the extremely confused people standing around.

We were finally allowed into the film room. They got halfway through the film when the sound cut off. Some house lights came up, one of the CMs got on a phone, and then announced that the ride had "E-stopped" and would take at least one hour to reset. We were all told to turn around and walk out the way we came in.

Someone in the film room asked if we would get FastPass tickets to return, and the first cast member said no. The second said we could get one from the CM at FastPass distribution.

Of course, when we finally made it out of the ride, they had already closed FastPass distribution because the ride was broken. :rolleyes:

So, we're going back tonight to try it again. I'll let you know if I make in on the ride!

AVP

Disneyfreak
04-02-2004, 11:46 AM
It sounds like Indy is experiencing major opening pains. They will probably have everything working by the end of the month. Its just like Big Thunder when they reopened it. Everytime the ride broke down it was down for 2 hours! Fortunately this is normal after a lengthy rehab. :)

Jawknee
04-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Hey everyone, thanks for the heads up on Indy. Sounds troubling so far, but please keep us updated with every juiciest detail! :)

TDBearGrrl
04-03-2004, 05:53 AM
I rode on Thursday. They using single rider about 10:30 or so. Because I was doing the single rider thing and went in the exit I didn't notice any queueing stops. As far as the ride itself, I agree with what everyone else has said. The projections were clearer, the snake didn't move, the eyes were not perceptibly different than before... However, my take on the projections was different than other people's has been. Like I said, I agree that the projections were clearer - I just think they are too bright. Hope to get to ride it again today! :o)

DD

Chemmech
04-03-2004, 06:00 AM
I liked the Green light effects that came from the eyes of Mara, really cool with the sound effects ;) .

Ghoulish Delight
04-03-2004, 08:48 AM
A group of us rode Indy last night. It had gone 101 at around 9:30, but came back up just before the park closed. All I can say is.....yay!!! We've got our Indy back!

It's not 100% good news. I'll start with the bad. First, the dry ice effect is still not working (duh, we all know that's not gonna be fixed). The fire in Mara's eye was not working. And the snake (which did look slightly different to us) was stationary.

But now the good news. All the little smoke effects were working. That alone makes SUCH a difference. The "laser" from Mara's eye hitting the bridge works (man I haven't seen that in YEARS). The lighting effects on the scrim in the skull room was working. There's a fire effect that I had completely forgotten about that is working. The bugs and rats are gorgeous. The sound doesn't cut out before the rats/blow dart room!

It was like riding for the first time again. My eyes were wide with delight. It was truly goregous, even with a couple missing effects. Afterwards, it made me so upset that they had let it get SO bad. The number of simple little things that they let lapse is astounding. And they were little more than some smoke and some lightbulbs that really make a difference. I feel sorry for the thousands of people who rode the ride on their one and only trip to Disneyland and didn't get to see it in its full glory.

HBTiggerFan
04-03-2004, 08:59 AM
It was awesome! I was one of the memebers who rode it last night (sat next to GD actually). Beautiful! Effects that I had forgotten about or never saw were working. The skeleton room has more effects now (and eeyore is still there), the fire pit bridge room has many more effects now, lots of smoke and lights and it's so pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The ride is much smoother now too, not bumpywise, I can't explain it, it just seems like everything transitions smoother. It seemd like our car had a really bumpy program too.

Awesome!

MonorailMan
04-03-2004, 10:35 AM
...please keep us updated with every juiciest detail! :)
Don't know how much it will help but:
http://server5.uploadit.org/files/Hastin-juicyflex.jpg
:~D

CoasterMatt
04-03-2004, 10:47 AM
I don't wanna hear anymore about "Indy's Soft Opening" - isn't this supposed to be a family site? :D

donatello3000
04-03-2004, 03:04 PM
I was surprised to see Indy opened on Thursday...
I was glad to see that the queue was being used. The pole in the spike room was working fine, and when I went, so was the rope. It was cool that they stopped people in the video room, because that was one of my favorite parts. It pretty much set the story up for the people who did not know how to read the writings on the wall, since they no longer give out the AT&T cards.
The seatbelts were nice and clean, with the bright yellow "tags" on them. Everything looked a lot nicer in the ride. I was a bit disappointed to always enter through the center door, though. Each time we rode it, we always saw the jeep in front of us as the door closed before letting our jeep in. I mean, one of the main parts of the story was to enter through one of the three doors to receive one of the three gifts. I don't even recall the faces above the doors being lit.
The sound was very good and very loud. Explosions, lighting, and fire effects were a lot better. The most noticable change was in the bug room, though the brightness made it seem really fake to me. I mean... we're riding in a vehicle that's themed to look kinda dirty and used like it's already been on a thousand journeys, yet the headlights are still shining REALLY bright onto the walls like a new Mercedes. The bugs were very clear, though I thought it would be nice if the light had a more yellow tone.
I noticed the snake from the other end of the bridge. It was really bright, but I couldn't tell if it really looked different from the other one. It did seem odd. I think it was jsut because of how bright it looked, and the way that it "stood" upright.

But in the end, it was a very fun and bumpy ride. I missed how turbulent it used to be, and was glad that there were a few instances in which I had to grab the handles. Everybody in the jeep was clapping at the end... Hopefully they get the snake working soon.

Cadaverous Pallor
04-03-2004, 04:12 PM
It was cool that they stopped people in the video room, because that was one of my favorite parts. It pretty much set the story up for the people who did not know how to read the writings on the wall, since they no longer give out the AT&T cards.Actually, the reason they were stopping people to watch the movie is that they added a safety spiel to it ala Star Tours (seatbelts instructions). While you were waiting, you only got to see one snippet of the old "story" movie, then they'd cut in the seatbelt spiel, and then they'd let it a bunch of people. The next group sees a different story snippet. So in the end you see LESS of the story. http://members.aol.com/mreurodisney/images/frown.gif

I freaked out when we saw the bugs. I and do mean SAW - you could actually see them!!!

It was a totally different ride. The people that let such simple effects die out for so many years are nearly criminals in my book. http://members.aol.com/mreurodisney/images/mad.gif What a damn shame.