PDA

View Full Version : First Solo Trip

TDBearGrrl
03-31-2004, 10:03 PM
I am about to enter my 4th year as an annual passholder and tomorrow I will be making my first solo trip to the park. I am so excited I can't stand it! :D
I have been trying for over a year to figure out a way to go without my partner - now that I am 'between' jobs its as good a time as any!

DD

Ghoulish Delight
03-31-2004, 10:09 PM
It's such a different experience alone. The biggest piece of advice I can give....take breaks! When I'm alone, I catch myself walking endlessly. I tend to go on fewer attractions (because I don't particularly like standing in queues alone) and spend more time looking at things...so I just walk and walk and walk for hours until suddenly I realize my legs are in pain!

cemeinke
03-31-2004, 10:15 PM
Yup, grab a mocha, sit by the castle do some people watching is always a pleasure. I also tend to ride the train alot on my own - it's a nice place to relax. But if it's rides your after, don't forget about single rider passes.

Of course, now that I know so many people from the Pad, it's a rare day when I don't find someoen else to share some park time with.

TheatreTech
03-31-2004, 10:22 PM
Yep, use the single rider lines. (They're there for you ;) )
I like to grab a mint julep and sit on the balcony for a while. Sometimes with a book.
Go see some shows. Do what YOU want to do. :D

Zigen
03-31-2004, 10:43 PM
What rides have single rider passes?

TheatreTech
03-31-2004, 11:30 PM
Attractions with Single Rider lines/passes.

Disneyland:
*Indiana Jones Adventure
*Splash Mountain

Disney's California Adventure:
*Mulholland Madness
*Soarin' Over California
*Grizzly River Run

TDBearGrrl
04-01-2004, 03:03 AM
thanks for all the hints! I have packed my mp3 player and 2 books! I love to people watch. To add to my adventure I am taking the train! I haven't ridden Metrolink since I commuted to Santa Ana two years ago. It means I have to get started early - but heck what else have I got to do!

DD :D

dustytraveler
04-01-2004, 06:50 AM
My favorite "Solo" Disney Day.

Start with a walk-through and take pictures of anything that strikes your fancy. Amazing what you will notice, that you have never seen, because you are alone and have the time.

Take the Train. It is the only attraction that I can think of that once you get on, they don't make you get off. So ride it around more than once if you want. It is a WONDERFUL waste of time.

Innoventions. I know, this sounds like torture. Actually, it is perfect for going solo because there is so much to play with and explore. It is actually a bad place for couples and groups because most of the things here draw you away by yourself.

Single Rider - Splash Mountain Single Rider, Soarin, and sometimes Indy offer this. Use it. You get to ride quick and no one expects you to be with a group. Hello, "Single" rider. Perfect.

Grab coffee and your favorite reading material and find a relaxing spot. My favorite: Fantasia Gardens - the old phantom boats loading area between Matterhorn and Small World, it is out in the water. The far back upper deck of Hungry Bear. The deck of the Disney Gallery above Pirates. The far back deck of the Harbor Galley - the fries location next to the Haunted Mansion.

The movie attractions and Tiki Room. These usually have no line and it is quick and easy to get a seat.

The Shows - It is SOOOOOO much easier to see the shows when you are alone. You don't need to rush to get 2 or more seats together. Just go a few minutes before the show starts and take whatever you can find in the back. Last in and first out. Perfect.

Enjoy your day. I'm so happy that you are finally getting your day alone at the resort.

PsychDoc
04-01-2004, 07:56 AM
That's totally cool that you have the "courage" to do DL alone. I put "courage" in quotes because it just seems to freak so many people out to do things alone. I wouldn't mind going alone but my 10 year old would kill me if I did. She's still mad when I took my sister there last year alone for her bachelortte party. Yes, we're Disney geeks. Have fun. Take it in slow. Go on whatever you want, as many times as you want. No one there to complain to make fun. Relax. Also, don't feel weird about eating at any of the resturants alone. I've noticed that the character meal venues really take care of "parties of one."

ROBONICS95
04-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Attractions with Single Rider lines/passes.

Disney's California Adventure:
*Mulholland Madness
*Soarin' Over California
*Grizzly River Run

i took my first solo trip down from the bay area last weekend and was able to get in on a single rider line for maliboomer as well

spectromen
04-01-2004, 01:08 PM
I am about to enter my 4th year as an annual passholder and tomorrow I will be making my first solo trip to the park. I am so excited I can't stand it! :D
I have been trying for over a year to figure out a way to go without my partner - now that I am 'between' jobs its as good a time as any!

DD

I'm jealous - I haven't been alone in years. Such a different pace when there's nowhere you've got to be.
I still use that same Metrolink to Santa Ana every day, and if work continues to be as slow as it's been, maybe I'll have to follow in your footsteps and take the train the other way to the Anaheim station!

Pirate Girl
04-01-2004, 01:49 PM
Riding Fantasyland Attractions early in the morning by yourself is a great way to get into some interesting discussions with cast members. On my last solo trip I rode all the Fantasyland rides and all the CM's wanted to know why I wwas alone. When I explained that I just like doing my own thing at Disneyland, we got into some great conversations.

And people-watching is always a must!

LibraryGirl
04-01-2004, 03:03 PM
Take the Train. It is the only attraction that I can think of that once you get on, they don't make you get off. So ride it around more than once if you want. It is a WONDERFUL waste of time.

DT suggested the train?!?! :eek: :D Yes, he is correct, the train is good stuff AND you get to see animatronic wildlife and dinosaurs. Good place to take a nap and get some fresh air :)

Talking to the CMs or to other guests while in line is also fun. I've had many an interesting conversation with others while exploring DL solo.

TheatreTech
04-01-2004, 07:40 PM
i took my first solo trip down from the bay area last weekend and was able to get in on a single rider line for maliboomer as well
Whoops! :eek:
I forgot about that one. Thanks. ;)

jazzjunkie
04-02-2004, 02:51 AM
Also, don't feel weird about eating at any of the resturants alone.

Word. I'm still trying to learn that! I do love being alone in DL though, sometimes gloating (quietly) when I pass by bickering large groups. :~D

TDBearGrrl
04-02-2004, 06:02 AM
I had the best time. Even things that would have annoyed me didn't bother me at all yesterday! Even the guy who thought he should be able to get into the park before the rope drop because he had a Citypass. I just chuckled and kept drinking my mocha!

I did six rides by 10:30 - including Indy. (BTMRR, Mansion, Pooh, Pirates, Jungle Cruise and Indy) BTW: when there are only 7 people in the elevator at the Mansion - it takes a long time to 'land'. Then I hopped over to DCA and rode Soarin'. I also got to see (and take some pics of ) the new Mulan mini parade. After that I just walked around, took pictures, had snacks, laughed at people (quietly, to myself of course).

The highlight of my day had to be rain. The first trip in 2+ years when I did not have either my pooh rain coat or my windbreaker in a bag and it rains! The sun never really came out for more than a couple of minutes all day. I was in DTD when the distant thunder became more obvious and was on my way back into DL when the sprinkling started. The best was seeing the family that I had sat next to on the train earlier who where soaked from GRR and on their way to Splash freaking out about the rain! They were still wet from the water rides. Within seconds my line to get in VANISHED and people everywhere were wearing the yellow DLR shopping bags on their heads. I headed over to BTMRR to see what the return time for FastPass was. (Someone was supposed to be joining me later and I was trying to figure out what we were going to do). While I was in Frontierland, the rain became a heavy sprinkle - I decided I could use a new hat - any excuse is a good excuse. Kris called while I was sitting on a bench outside the stores and said that the weather was really bad and she was worried about the dogs and was just going to pick me up and then we would head back home. So I decided to head over to the Grand Californian for some fire time to eliminate some of my dampness. As I was leaving Frontierland, the heavy sprinkle became rain and half way up Main Street - DOWNPOUR. People squealing - pushing to fit their entire group of 25 under one awning. I stopped and bought an official poncho. Went to my locker to get my stuff and continued my trip to the hotel. By the time I got there I was SOAKED! The lobby was packed so I went around to the outside fireplace and there was room to sit next to the fire out there. I dried off a little, warmed up a little. Kris showed up about 6:45 and we headed home.

All in all a great day! Definately on the top 5 list of my Disney Days. I will most likely go back alone again in the next couple of weeks - until I find a new job. Ahh, the advantages of unemployment!

DD

stagedoorjonny
04-02-2004, 01:08 PM
Last year when I became unemployed was my first AP. I went at least once a week for the nine months. It is a great way to see the park and the changes you don't see with other people with you.