PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Monorail Holiday:

MonorailMan
10-18-2001, 08:36 PM
My Idea:

Dress up the monorail for the holidays! :D

1. Chage The Blue And Yellow Trains To Green And Sliver (So There's Red,Green, And Sliver)

2. Play Christmas Tunes/Carols In The Queue And On The Train.

3. Decorate The Stations With Trees, Wreaths, Tiensil, Etc...

4. Do the same as 3, but in the cars.

Any Other Suggestions???

(And Yes, I'm Obsessed About The Monorail, But I Won't Quit My Day Job[Unless DLR Hires Me]) ;)

mrfantasmic
10-18-2001, 09:28 PM
Sorry to say, but I haven't ridden the Monorail since it was rerouted.

Nigel2
10-18-2001, 09:37 PM
What do you mean rerouted,it doesn't seem any different to me? Or do you mean when they were only using part of the track?

FEJ
10-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Fix the seats..upgrade the interior

Ghoulish Delight
10-19-2001, 07:24 AM
Nigel is correct. The mororail station at DTD is the SAME station as it used to be, just redecorated. The old one for DL hotel. Evidenced by the fact that the entire time that DTD and CDA were being built, the station was still there. You got off and were surrounded by view obscuring constructin walls. It never moved. I think what has confused people into believing the monorail route has changed is that during the constrution, the trains did not run the full loop (they went back and forth on the same track, what is normally the stretch going form DTD into DL). But this was becuase a) the full loop goes through DCA and they didn't want you to see the construction, and b) they had to build the Golden Gate Bridge around it. The stretch that goes through DCA is the stretch that used to be over the parking lot. It is all the same track.

JeffG
10-19-2001, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Nigel is correct. The mororail station at DTD is the SAME station as it used to be, just redecorated. The old one for DL hotel. Evidenced by the fact that the entire time that DTD and CDA were being built, the station was still there. You got off and were surrounded by view obscuring constructin walls.

That is close, but not quite correct. The old monorail station actually was completely torn down. The new one was just built on the exact same location so that the track didn't have to be re-routed at all. The monorail was completely shut down for several months in 1999 while the new station was being constructed.

The new monorail station was pretty much the first thing built in Downtown Disney. Once it opened, a construction wall corridor connected the station with the Disneyland Hotel.

-Jeff

Ghoulish Delight
10-19-2001, 10:24 AM
Oh, okay. I think I only went once in '99, so I guess I just missed the time it was shut down.

10-19-2001, 11:28 AM
A holiday monorail? Never! Unless ...

The correct ambience is 2001 Space Odyssey futuristic. You'd have to go with silver and white only, man-made materials only, motifs related to outer space.

Napsto
10-19-2001, 12:52 PM
that would be intrsting.

innerSpaceman
10-19-2001, 03:20 PM
Yes, that would make it more of a New Year's monorail, and should have been done last year, but they can still get it in this year with 2001 music and theming. I think we would forgive them for being a little tardy, if only they would start doing more holiday theming to attractions to spice things up a little.

Lani
10-19-2001, 03:30 PM
At minimum I would love to see a holiday wreath on the monorail's nose cone, and have holiday music piping through the speakers.

Ghoulish Delight
10-19-2001, 03:46 PM
----Note: What follows is meant in a lighthearted manner. Not that I don't mean what I say, but rather that is not meant to be angry or an attack on anyone

----Further Note: That last note applies to pretty much anything I post on this board. I don't get angry. I get sarcastic, but never in a mean spirited way. It doesn't always come through in my typing, even with smileys. Just thought I'd mention that. Okay, on with the post

Alright. I'm Jewish. So my opinion is...um...swayed. But here's what I think.

Decorations are one thing. In my years on this planet I've sort of come to terms with the fact that here in America, I'm the minority. Occasionally, the decorations get to me and I don't want to really acknowledge them anymore, so I don't. But I can deal with that. Look away, simply ignore them, etc.

Music is another thing. NO! No, no, no, no. If I wanted to be subjected to the same 10 repetitive, simplistic songs over and over and over, I'd listen to K-Big. If they put holiday music on the monorail, I can name, right now, all the songs we would hear. We've heard them all before a zillion times. We'll hear them all again a zillion times. I'd rather hear Muzak, and that is no exageration. There's no hiding from that insipid music. How many times must I hear Jingle Bells:confused: :confused: :confused:

Okay, venting complete. Sort of. Just one more thing. It's not just that it's Christmas music that it bugs me. First, I can't listen to the same album (of music I like) twice in one day, never mind the same song lord knows how many times. Second, holiday music tends to be rather simplistic and repetative, compounding the first problem. It could be music of any theme and I'd be annoyed. It's not because I'm Jewish.

Rider
10-19-2001, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
----Note: What follows is meant in a lighthearted manner. Not that I don't mean what I say, but rather that is not meant to be angry or an attack on anyone

----Further Note: That last note applies to pretty much anything I post on this board. I don't get angry. I get sarcastic, but never in a mean spirited way. It doesn't always come through in my typing, even with smileys. Just thought I'd mention that. Okay, on with the post

Alright. I'm Jewish. So my opinion is...um...swayed. But here's what I think.

Decorations are one thing. In my years on this planet I've sort of come to terms with the fact that here in America, I'm the minority. Occasionally, the decorations get to me and I don't want to really acknowledge them anymore, so I don't. But I can deal with that. Look away, simply ignore them, etc.

Music is another thing. NO! No, no, no, no. If I wanted to be subjected to the same 10 repetitive, simplistic songs over and over and over, I'd listen to K-Big. If they put holiday music on the monorail, I can name, right now, all the songs we would hear. We've heard them all before a zillion times. We'll hear them all again a zillion times. I'd rather hear Muzak, and that is no exageration. There's no hiding from that insipid music. How many times must I hear Jingle Bells:confused: :confused: :confused:

Okay, venting complete. Sort of. Just one more thing. It's not just that it's Christmas music that it bugs me. First, I can't listen to the same album (of music I like) twice in one day, never mind the same song lord knows how many times. Second, holiday music tends to be rather simplistic and repetative, compounding the first problem. It could be music of any theme and I'd be annoyed. It's not because I'm Jewish.

You know, this is exactly what I though about the "Christmas" idea (because that is what it is, not holiday). On the other hand, Disney already has a Christmas parade.

The only way you could really do it is with new years.

Nigel2
10-19-2001, 10:18 PM
On a side note I am half jewish by parents ways, but they were oddly not religious (more presents for me:D) And it always ticks me off when the only menorah looking item in the entire park (I think it is still that way) is in the booty cave in pirates. But yeah, the holdiay of christmas it self really has lost its religous meaning to many people so its not as bad. Oh one more thing, how would you get a wreath on the front of the monorail? it would look awkward since it would almost look like it was lanced onto there if its on the tip of the nosecone.

tabacco
10-19-2001, 11:28 PM
[tabacco jumps in a bit late]

The monorail HAS been rerouted, but probably not the way mrfantasmic meant. They had to reroute it around the new Indy building when it was built.

Nigel2
10-20-2001, 12:41 AM
I wonder if another reason they didn't have it go by DCA before it was complete was also due to the fact that it goes right next to building that might have some finnishing touches being put on them and they didn't want to risk endangeing any workers lives, just like with the matterhorn when it has major work going on. But it basically isn't rerouted. I don't think the track was moved when they build DCA. Oh speaking of indy I finnaly noticed the eyore sign. I would always forget to look for it when I would go.

FEJ
10-20-2001, 07:50 AM
They had it partially closed while they were finishing "Millionaire".

Jon Vincible
10-20-2001, 10:38 AM
What Eyore sign? I know Indy was built over the old Eyore section of the parking lot, but there is still a sign left?

MickeyD
10-20-2001, 02:29 PM
There's an Eeyore sign in the projection room of the Indy queue. You can see it after you leave the projection room and look back it. It's pretty high up, above the projector.

Jon Vincible
10-20-2001, 03:14 PM
I've only ridden the monorail once, when they had dug up the old parking lot, and there was just a big hole in the ground. As for Christmas songs being repetitive and simple, maybe so, but they bring a smile to my face, knowing it's "that time of year again".