PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel/Grand Californian

meljo69
03-31-2004, 02:31 PM
Hi all I am taking my family to Disneyland this summer and am having some major decision problems. At this moment i am booked at the grand for my stay but have recently found out i can stay at the Disneyland hotel for less money with the concierge service. My dilema is which is a better place to stay and is it worth the money to stay at the grand in a basic of at the Disney for less. What about transportation to and from Disney How difficult is it from Disneyland hotel. I know the grand is right there but I want the best vacation for my family for what I pay. Please give any advice you can as I want the kids to enjoy this trip. :confused:

Sheilaras
03-31-2004, 02:47 PM
Well, if you can stay cheaper at DLH w/conceirge service, I would say go for it.

I just stayed at the GC and although it was AWESOME, the DLH isn't TOO MUCH farther away. The GC did have an entrance right into California Adventure and DTD, though, it was very convenient. We also stayed at one of the other local hotels and walked there, too. Either way, you won't lose.

The Mouse Is Back
03-31-2004, 02:52 PM
The Disneyland Hotel and Paradise Pier no longer have tram service for guests. It was described to me as a "walking resort" when I was considering a stay during the Christmas holidays last year. You can either walk through Downtown Disney to the ticket gates, or you can go to the Monorail station across the street from the DH (I've never seen this Monorail station so I don't know what the logistics are).

If anyone in your group has mobility issues, I would think the GC would be the better choice. I'd love to stay at the GC if the opportunity ever presented itself - imagine being right in the middle of the Parks would be lots of fun!

Have a great vacation, whatever lodging you decide on.

:)

Ghoulish Delight
03-31-2004, 02:54 PM
The distance shouldn't be your deciding factor. It's a 5 minue walk through DTD from the DLH to get to the front gates, half that distance (or less) to get to the monorail which will take you into Tomorrowland.

The Grand Californian is the more luxurious of the two hotels. If that's something you want, go for it. Otherwise, all hotel rooms look the same when you lie down and close your eyes. Besides, the best part of the Grand Cal. is the wonderfully relaxing lobby and bar. And you don't have to be a guest there to enjoy those :D

MOUSELUVR
03-31-2004, 03:05 PM
We have stayed at both and I would definately go for the Grand again if I had the option. If you have older children who may want to go to the park alone for a couple of hours, you can't beat the fact that they can walk directly from your hotel into the park! When we stayed at the Disneland hotel, the monorail was down more than it was working, so I wouldn't count on not having to make that walk through downtown disney. From what I understand, there is currently only one monorail train in service at all. It was great being right "in" the park at the Grand...

meljo69
03-31-2004, 03:23 PM
my kids are 5 and 10. I guess my concern is it worth the concierge service or spend a little more and stay at the Grand which is a city view room or the DL with a better room

Kevy Baby
03-31-2004, 03:30 PM
From what I understand, there is currently only one monorail train in service at all.Usually, there have been two Monorail trains during busy times. With this attraction's service record, though, this is VERY subject to change. However, this past weekend we spent a fair amount of time in the Picnic Area (for MA and the Potluck) and never once had a single brake pad fall on us :D

tjrj
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
Well I've stayed at both. Both have +'s and -'s. When my kids were the age yours are now, we stayed at DLH. Two years later we stayed at the Grand. For the $-I'd stay at DLH again.

Couple of things to consider-how much time are you going to be in your room? How long will you be there? Does your family like to spread out a bit or are closer quarters not a consideration?

Yep, the Grand is really impressive and as GD said-the most impressive sites are the lobby and the bar-and you don't have to be hotel guests to enjoy those. The rooms at the Grand we found to be smaller and darker with less storage space than those at DLH. My boys liked the sleeping bag that came with the room. Older one slept on the small balcony a couple of nights and liked to see the monorail zipping past. And yes, the closer proximity to the Park came in handy when older son wanted to visit the parks on his own. However, that's not to say that the walking distance would have prohibited him from going back had we been staying at the DLH.

We liked the Bonita Tower rooms at the DLH-water view. Bigger, brighter rooms with lots of storage. 2 queens and a day bed and still some room to spread out. View of koi ponds, waterfall and FAntasy Waters. Biggest bummer is that the trams don't run out the back door of the Bonita Tower like they used to. And the pool area is great.

Here's my $.02-take if for what it's worth-I'd pick DLH w/ congierge over the Grand in a heartbeat. And then go to the Grand during your visit and enjoy the lobby and the bar.

Opps-here's a PS that negates what I just said-if you want to use Pinnochio's Workshop for your kiddos so that Mom and Dad can enjoy some couple time-it's only open to GCH guests.

Zigen
03-31-2004, 03:40 PM
There are many great reviews of both hotels on mouse planet. DLH barely beats the Grand by .3 points or something according to the reviewers.

My exprience has only been at DLH for 2 nights. While we have walked thru the Grand and we're wow'ed by it, we enjoyed our stay at DLH. The pool is great, the little extra's like the waterfalls, koi ponds, and water show were a big plus. Goofy's Diner is a great Character Breakfast and is at DLH. The monorail was about a 2 min walk from the hotel and it takes about 5 mins to walk to the main entrance.

Either way I don't think you can go wrong. DLH is cheaper but the Grand is right on the doorstep of both parks.

PsychDoc
03-31-2004, 04:11 PM
Why are you only locked into the DLH vs CG? Have you looked at the Pier? I love it. Much cheaper than both the other 2. You can even upgrade to a park view for not much more. It's cozier and less crowded in the lobby compared to the others. You also have a quick access into DCA right across the street. I do agree that the lobby and grandure of the California is pretty cool. However as a previous poster pointed out, you don't have to stay there to enjoy the lobby. With all the $ you could save you could enjoy a nice dinner and drinks there. As far as the walk to the park, hello, what about all the walking once you get there? The extra 10 mins tacked on to the several hours, does it really matter? Heck, the with $ you save you could take a cab back at night. Check it out.

Not Afraid
03-31-2004, 05:35 PM
Both the DLH and the GC have their pluses and minuses. I've stayed at both and cannot tell you which is my favorite. I guess, in the winter, the GCH would be my pick, but in the Summer, the DLH is the most wonderful. It depends on which hotel ammenities you prefer.

The walk from GC is quick, but the walk to the DLH can be long if you are tired at night. However, in the AM, it is nice to wander through DTD on your way into the Park or to the Monorail from the DLH.

I can't comment on Concierge, since that really isn't something I would do, but, from what I understand, both hotels have a fine Conceirge program.

I wouldn't even consider the Paradise Pier. There are other, non-Disney, hotels in the area that are cheaper, closer, and sometimes nicer.