PDA

View Full Version : When to book for New Years?

pisces
03-31-2004, 09:18 AM
My Christmas vacation has rapidly turned into a New Years vacation.

The question is, if you were going to stay at the Grand Californian over New Years, Dec 28-Jan 2; when would you book your reservations?

A few other questions:

1. Do they have the Dickens Carolers after Christmas, or is that just a before Christmas thing?

2. If you were determined to save money, but the Grand Californian (Theme Park view) was NOT negotiable, and the dates were not negatiable, at this point........are there any other little ways I would be able to save money?

3. Is it better to book through AAA, or directly through Disney? And, would it be better to get a package, or simply book the hotel, and my being a Southern CA resident, just buy my Two-fer tickets separately?

I've priced AAA, and their packages seem kind of expensive. I haven't priced the AAA with just the hotel alone. My thinking is that I will really want those unlimited fast passes at that time of the year. However, I would think 5 days, even with crowds, would give me time to sample all the rides, anyway, with or without unlimited fastpasses.

I am truly stumped, as to what to do. And, I'm thinking the Grand Californian will sell out quickly, as they only have 300 rooms, and that is a popular time.

kdrickard
03-31-2004, 09:50 PM
A seach of the MousePlanet website lists the Grand Californian as having 750 rooms GCH Rooms (http://www.mouseplanet.com/dtp/dlguide/4_Accommodations/resorts/GCH.htm) , so I'm not sure if you mean total capacity or are refering to rooms still available.

Last year when we booked for New Year's in September, rooms were available but we had limited options.

Yes, this was very popular and crowded time, but if you get to the park(s) early (on Main Street when they open) you should be able to see most of want you want to see.

Hope this helps,

Kevin

pisces
04-01-2004, 10:14 AM
Right right right. There are 750 rooms total; but, I think there are only 300 rooms with the coveted "Theme Park" view. So, I don't know.

Something tells me it ought to be ok to wait till July. But, probably no longer. I just need to figure out whether to go "package" or no package, and how important enhanced fast passes (AAA) are to me if I'm going to be there a whole 5 days anyway.

QUESTION: Has anyone ever booked the hotel only (No package) through AAA?

Again, I live in Southern CA, so it might be cheaper to just forget the package and do the Hotel and buy my tickets with the Southern CA discount, assuming it's still available then.

Good thing I've got time to figure this all out!