PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland vs Walt DisneyWorld: who wins?

Pages : [1] 2

Dean Higgins
03-31-2004, 07:33 AM
Well this is a resurrected question to be sure, but I thought it has been awhile since it has been asked, so...

Who has the better MAGIC KINGDOM? Disneyland or Walt Disney World?

Keep in mind that I am excluding DCA, EPCOT, ANIMAL KINGDOM, MGM etc etc and just concentrating on their Castle-hubbed "Magic Kingdoms".

Not Afraid
03-31-2004, 07:48 AM
Disneyland, because I said so.

tod
03-31-2004, 07:52 AM
Who has the better MAGIC KINGDOM? Disneyland or Walt Disney World?
Winner: The one you grew up with.

If you didn't go to either until you were a grown-up, then it's the closest one.

--t
Disneyland guest since 1955

ppmuse
03-31-2004, 08:54 AM
Oh man, now that's a hard one. The one reason why my wife and I go to WDW is because of everything else, not Magic Kingdom.

Let's see, Magic Kingdom has People Mover, Space Mountain sits forward to back, Splash Mountain sits side to side, no Mr. Toad, wife LOVES the mexican restaurant next to Pirates, no Matterhorn, castle is bigger, Princess buffet is good, underground tour is cool, original autotopia, Carrousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, and Alien Encounter (soon to be Stich Escape).

Disneyland: No Tomorrowland, New Autopia is disappointing, Matterhorn, original castle, Indiana Jones, Mr. Toad's, Roger Rabbit, and the beautiful Small World building.

I have to say, even though Disneyland is the original, Magic Kingdom has it beat, for now. Ask me again next January, when hopefully everything will be up and running at Disneyland.

Quinten27
03-31-2004, 09:07 AM
I'd have to say Disneyland has the better magic kingdom of the two. No Matterhorn at WDW, and you gotta have the Matterhorn!!!!!

dude
03-31-2004, 09:34 AM
Disneyland. It is the original park and the only one Walt ever walked in. Cast Member Matt and his team is fixing up Disneyland right now so if a tourist who had never been to either went to both, WDW would probably win on account of its greater number of open attractions. Hopefully Disneyland should be in excellent working order by July 2005 for the 50th, and when that time comes, look out WDW.

Also, Disneyland's submarine ride has a chance of returning and WDW's doesn't.

jrad32
03-31-2004, 10:55 AM
While I miss Peoplemover, and some of the Magic Kingdom rides are better laid out in terms of seating (Splash) There are some things that the Magic Kingdom cannot touch that DL has.

Matterhorn
Mr. Toad & Alice
Indiana Jones
Pirates (that version, if you can call it that, in the MK is nothing compared to the original.)

Gemini Cricket
03-31-2004, 11:12 AM
I've posted this somewhere else before, but can't find it. I'm not sure if my answers will match with what I wrote before but here goes:

Disneyland
Better versions of:
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder
It's a Small World
Teacups
Space Mountain
Pooh
Indy

Exclusively at DL:
Matterhorn
Original Tiki show

WDW's MK
Better versions of:
Splash
Jungle Cruise
Tom Sawyer Island
Treehouse
The castle

Exclusively at MK:
Fantillusion
Country Bears
New Tiki show

So, even though MK has more space, Disneyland wins. :)

millionairegirl
03-31-2004, 11:13 AM
To me the difference between the two Magic Kingdoms is character. The Floridian MK really has no discernable character. It's flat, bland, and almost boring. I was shocked at how commercial it was compared to Disneyland. Why, there was even a DVC booth inside the park! Shocking! There's no little touches there, like a jazzband playing on the deck of the Mark Twain or the sax playing firemen riding up and down Main Street. And don't get me started on the Pirates of the Caribbean. I can't believe people even like the one in Florida.

I will admit, though, to being in love with the people mover, so that moves their park up a few notches. Overall though, I much prefer Disneyland.

Dean Higgins
03-31-2004, 11:41 AM
I've posted this somewhere else before, but can't find it. I'm not sure if my answers will match with what I wrote before but here goes:

Disneyland
Better versions of:
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder
It's a Small World
Teacups
Space Mountain
Pooh
Indy

Exclusively at DL:
Matterhorn
Original Tiki show

WDW's MK
Better versions of:
Splash
Jungle Cruise
Tom Sawyer Island
Treehouse
The castle

Exclusively at MK:
Fantillusion
Country Bears
New Tiki show

I would have to say that you're on track with most of this, but THE HAUNTED MANSION in Florida is by volume better. IT pretty much has the exact same elements as DL, but it also adds a big library room and a big piano room.

Plus I think it looks more like a Haunted Mansion

Dean Higgins
03-31-2004, 11:59 AM
For the record, let's list the major exclusives to each:

Disneyland exclusive Attractions:
Alice in Wonderland
Pinocchio's Daring Adventure
Roger Rabbit's Cartoon Spin
Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln
Indiana Jones
Matterhorn Bobsleds
Mr Toad's Wild Ride
Original Enchanted Tiki Room
Storybookland Canal Boats
Tarzan Treehouse

Walt Disney World Magic Kingdom exclusive attractions:
Tomorrowland Transit Authority (PeopleMover)
Carousel of Progress
Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
Country Bear Jamboree
The Hall of Presidents
Under New Management Tiki Birds Show
Mickey's Philharmagic
Stitch's Escape coming soon (replacing ALIEN ENCOUNTER)

I didn't count small children's rides like "Goofy's bounce house" etc... OR any attractions that are not in WDW's Magic Kingdom but are still in the WDW area (i.e. "STAR TOURS" or "HONEY, I SHRUNK THE AUDIENCE" etc etc)

Gemini Cricket
03-31-2004, 12:31 PM
I would have to say that you're on track with most of this, but THE HAUNTED MANSION in Florida is by volume better. IT pretty much has the exact same elements as DL, but it also adds a big library room and a big piano room.

Plus I think it looks more like a Haunted MansionI see your point. I did forget about those things. However, it always bothered me that you didn't go into the house itself. The queue makes you feel like you're going through the servants' entrance or something. Not to mention the house looks kind of small from the vantage point of the queue.
:)

Gemini Cricket
03-31-2004, 12:33 PM
And, yes, I meant Philharmagic and not Fantillusion in my post. :D

ppmuse
03-31-2004, 12:39 PM

Disneyland
Better versions of:
Pirates
Haunted Mansion
Big Thunder
It's a Small World
Teacups
Space Mountain
Pooh
Indy

Exclusively at DL:
Matterhorn
Original Tiki show

WDW's MK
Better versions of:
Splash
Jungle Cruise
Tom Sawyer Island
Treehouse
The castle

Exclusively at MK:
Fantillusion
Country Bears
New Tiki show

First, I think Big Thunder is a lot better at Magic Kingdom. It has a story, and you see something different each time you go on it. Life, for example, the flood scene, pretty awesome.

Second, even though Pirates at Disneyland is a lot better, MK can have my vote for best line for a Pirates ride. It's just too bad that they didn't put more drops. I like the jail environment as you walk down to the ride, pretty sweet.

Dean Higgins
03-31-2004, 01:01 PM
First, I think Big Thunder is a lot better at Magic Kingdom. It has a story, and you see something different each time you go on it. Life, for example, the flood scene, pretty awesome.

Second, even though Pirates at Disneyland is a lot better, MK can have my vote for best line for a Pirates ride. It's just too bad that they didn't put more drops. I like the jail environment as you walk down to the ride, pretty sweet.

WDW's PIRATES may lack an extra fall, BLUE BAYOU, and the Skeleton bed/wine guzzler/treasure rooms... but it has a very strong scene at the end with a huge room full of treasure and shooting pirates while two soldiers are bound and gagged; struggling to get loose.

And yes the queue area is fantastic. Be sure and peep through bars down into the dungeons to see skeletons playing chess and such.

Laffite
03-31-2004, 01:19 PM
it certainly depends on what you're looking for in the park, as both parks have different offerings

Disney Vault
03-31-2004, 01:38 PM
DL is much better except for the castle. So i like DL better than MK but i like WDW better than the Dl Resort

Cancer Norm
03-31-2004, 01:41 PM
I grew up with Disneyland, but I think WDW has got us beat. WDW is bigger, has more real estate, and has more in it. I am jealous that they have carousel of progress AND they have Liberty Square with all the presidents under one roof. I want that!, but we have no room! :(

I love Disneyland but in this case I believe more is better.

Sheilaras
03-31-2004, 02:44 PM
Well, I grew up w/WDW and have only been to DL twice and that's been in the last 1 1/2 years. I'd have to say that I fell in love w/DL.

Don't forget Casey Jr. WDW doesn't have that, either. :crying:

Gemini Cricket
03-31-2004, 03:33 PM
First, I think Big Thunder is a lot better at Magic Kingdom. It has a story, and you see something different each time you go on it. Life, for example, the flood scene, pretty awesome. True. Although for the best Big Thunder of them all, you'd have to go to Disneyland Paris. ;) It's on an island and the ending is great.

Second, even though Pirates at Disneyland is a lot better, MK can have my vote for best line for a Pirates ride. It's just too bad that they didn't put more drops. I like the jail environment as you walk down to the ride, pretty sweet. The queue in WDW rocks, but the black light/glow in the dark talking skull is very cheesy.
:)

SacTown Chronic
03-31-2004, 03:41 PM
There is the original and there is everything else.

As true for Disney parks as it is for the rest of the world.

Disneyfreak
03-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Disneyland has more magic then all of WDW combined. They may have more rides but they will never have the historical value that Disneyland will always have. I would rather have the magic then the volume.

Photographer
04-01-2004, 07:50 AM
Oy, decisions, decisions. For me Disneyland has that certain "homey" feeling. It's warm, comfortable and inviting where you just breathe magic. Disney World has that "wow" factor. I've been there a few times as a kid, then a teen and as an adult but on my last trip in Nov. I walked in and my jaw just dropped open. I actually went "Wow!"

I can't choose. But for some odd reason the pavement in WDW makes my feet hurt. Not the actual walking, but the pavement cuz it starts up pretty quickly.

LSPoorEeyorick
04-01-2004, 08:12 AM
Well, since I was at both in the last week and a half, I feel I'm on pretty good authority to answer.

I think that, yes, it matters a great deal what you grew up attending. I grew up attending WDW, so when I finally saw that castle after two years of absence (and two years of living in So Cal as a DL passholder) it took my breath away just as it did when I was younger.

Aside from that, the two parks have distinctly different feels, and I think it's because of the clientele. At DL, you have a large percentage of locals and passholders, so it has more of a relaxed feel, and a quiet charm. Rod has groupies. Everybody knows the best quiet corners and which rides are busiest when. Much peoplewatching occurs. At WDW, you get a lot of traveling tourists who make it there infrequently or every few years. There's pressure to get to everything in a small amount of time, and there are (at present, I think) more rides up and running to get to. Not even considering the zillions of attractions you'd like to see at other WDW parks. While its design is interesting with the afri-eastern Adventureland and the classical Liberty Square, and all of the various bridges about, it seems lacking in intimate charm.

As for the rides, I am partial to the as-of-yet-absent Buzz and peoplemover (and Space Mt), Philharmagic, and the teacups at WDW. Whoever said the DL teacups are better than WDW's clearly hasn't ridden DL's recently. It was such a delight to be able to spin again. Plus, I think the actual teacup seating-area is larger at WDW.

At DL, I'm partial to Storybookland and Alice and Indy. And Pirates, which I don't particularly like in FL now that I've experienced the DL version complete with trip to Blue Bayou.

So, personally, I'm torn between the two.

Dean Higgins
04-21-2004, 12:04 PM
Could Japan have the best pirates?

From what I understand, Tokyo's PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN is the same as DISNEYLAND's (w/ Blue Bayou etc)... EXCEPT they still have the original scenes of them chasing after women... and not that gluttony replacement scene.