PDA

View Full Version : Alice in Wonderland ride

happyhaunts999
03-30-2004, 10:43 PM
I guess this ride will be closing for a while. The website is reporting that the ride will be closed from May until july. Does anybody know what is happening to the ride and why it is closing for so long... Enquiring minds want to know!!!!!

spectromen
04-01-2004, 08:03 AM
Since noone seems to know what the rehab plan is, why don't we discuss what NEEDS to be done..here are a few I have noticed lately:

-clicking sound coming from the talking door at the beginning
-Cheshire Cat effects in Tulgey Wood not operating well
-second Queen (angry version) arms not moving
-projection room between croquet and angry queen is sometimes blurred
-King doesn't always pop out from behind queen
-Queen's eyes aren't blinking
-general spitwad removal and paint touch-ups
-and my #1 pet peeve of this attraction for many years - NO ILLUMINATION ON THE MARQUEE ON TOP OF THE MUSHROOM! It sits in darkness at night! How are first timers supposed to know what this attraction is?!

Crispy
04-01-2004, 08:17 AM
It certainly sounds like this attraction needs a rehab. Some of the effects also sound like they should have been fixed with routine nightly maintenance. I mean, when a figure isn't moving, then you don't just let it sit there not moving for months. I'm also curious (since I haven't been to DL is a while). I rememebr in the mad tea party scene there was an effect where tea was going up from the teacup back into the teapot, but in photos I've seen this effect missing.... is it still there? Just wondering.

Cris

spectromen
04-01-2004, 12:50 PM
Hey Cris -

The upward tea in the party scene sounds an awful lot like the original tea party scene before the ride was redone in 1984. I can still remember the tea cups that were over the track and they would move away as you approached. You could hear the March Hare singing "clean cup, clean cup, move down, move down" at that spot also. That room is now the cards painting the roses red/croquet room.

I can't off hand recall if the current version has a tea-moving-upward effect. The lines have been so long in recent years (thanks, I think, to the video's constant distribution) that I don't get to ride this ride nearly as much as I'd like, or as much as I did in the 80's when lines on it were nonexistent.

Crispy
04-01-2004, 02:27 PM
This effect was in the modern version and was pretty simple. Basically consisted of a twisted piece of plastic so that it was spiraled. It rotated to give the illusion of tea going up from the cup into the spout of the teapot. Essentially it operated on the same principle as a barber shop pole, but it was a nice effect. I haven't been to DL is years since I'm on the opposite side of the country, but I haven't seen the effect in pics from the ride.

Cris

Cadaverous Pallor
04-02-2004, 01:31 PM
I can't say I go on this ride as often as the others, but I have gone on it many times in the past year. I don't remember the effect you guys are talking about. The only time you see teacups at all is at the end, when you see the Hatter and Hare drinking tea and singing a snippet of "Merry Unbirthday". There are stationary teacups all over that scene.

tod
04-02-2004, 03:05 PM
Hey Cris -

The upward tea in the party scene sounds an awful lot like the original tea party scene before the ride was redone in 1984. I can still remember the tea cups that were over the track and they would move away as you approached. You could hear the March Hare singing "clean cup, clean cup, move down, move down" at that spot also. That room is now the cards painting the roses red/croquet room.

The original Mad Tea Party scene had the Mad Hatter and March Hare popping up from under a ledge -- and scaring the crud out of a little boy, who grew up to be me, so I remember this well.

The pouring scene came later.

--t

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
04-07-2004, 03:10 PM
As far as rides in Fantasyland go, this is my favorite. I just saw that not only is Peter Pan going to be closed while we are there, my husband's favorite Fantasyland ride, but now Alice will be closed too. I am disappointed as I know both my kids would have loved it. And I have to admit I am bit disappointed for myself too. Big kid I am!

SykoSoul
04-07-2004, 03:18 PM
yea the ride could use some TLC =)

CoasterMatt
04-07-2004, 05:56 PM
The upward tea is still there, many people don't see it, because it's across from the March Hare and Mad Hatter

cstephens
04-07-2004, 06:22 PM
We went on this Friday night, and we did notice that a LOT of things weren't working. Among them, the cards weren't moving, there was no sound right before the ride vehicle goes outside on top, and no ka-boom at the end. "Where's the ka-boom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering ka-boom."