PDA

View Full Version : Alamo Inn?

Lekta
03-30-2004, 11:27 AM
Has anyone stayed there recently? I believe it to be directly across the cross walk from the main entrance to Disneyland? And also in view of DCA, are these assumptions correct? I am staying there on the upcoming trip and I really have been unable to find any info on this hotel. Thank you all!

stan4d_steph
03-30-2004, 12:33 PM
I found a mention of the Alamo Inn & Suites at 1140 W. Katella in another thread.
Has anyone stayed at the Alamo Inn & Suites? We stayed there for 8 nights last month. It was........interesting. Doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement. The Travelocity review (http://travel.travelocity.com/hotel/HotelLanding.do;jsessionid=F46CC2A35720D4F96222A0F AEBA70FCF.p0222?Service=YHOX&searchMode=propertyId&propertyId=5332&SID=T0068003918829362130002316429312841288&SEQ=108068145072470803302004) gives it 2 of 5 stars. It does appear to be right along the edge of the park to the South. If you do stay there, please submit a review to the MousePlanet Reviews page since this hotel isn't currently in the database.

CarlieB
03-30-2004, 12:43 PM
I believe it to be directly across the cross walk from the main entrance to Disneyland?
I'm not sure if it's as close as that...it sounds like it might be a little more of a walk from the main entrance (someone please correct me if I'm wrong). Have you considered staying at either the Carousel or the Tropicana? Those are 2 of the closer hotels to the entrance and both are pretty reasonably priced:)

AB Born
03-30-2004, 02:32 PM
Yea... we stayed there for 8 nights in February.
I don't think I'll stay there again, but a 2/5 star rating is adequate.
We walked from the hotel, up Katella to Disneyland Drive (half a block), then up Disneyland Dr. to the main entrance to The Grand Californian. We then walked through Downtown Disney. I'm not sure if there is a faster way but we enjoyed the walk. It's a far walk, especially at the end of the day on the way back.

We discovered that the rooms weren't cleaned very well (carpet had stains on it) but it's hard to tell because of the age of the building - everything is old. The sink isn't even in the bathroom, and the shower would frequently change temperature, sometimes running on the cool side. The hot tub was uncomfortably cool.
The door to the room had to be "slammed" to shut.
The free breakfast in the morning consists of Danishes, coffee, and powdered juice. Sometimes if your lucky they will have red apples and muffins as well. Sometimes if your not lucky they will only have Danishes and coffee.

A few days after we got home (in Calgary) we found a MASSIVE cockroach running around our carpet. Killed it and flushed it. Cockroaches don't come from Canada... so I suspect it came from the hotel room.

...Enjoy!

AB Born
03-30-2004, 02:34 PM
Oh yea, there is also a bullet hole in the glass in the lobby. But don't let that scare you, its just kids shooting BB guns. The Dennys next door has the same holes.

Lekta
03-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Thanks for the info ya'll. Hmm I was thinking that it was right at the crosswalk to go into the area where the shuttle buses drop off at. Maybe my memory is just bad though.

At any rate, do you think that my wife and I should get the Southern California Select Passport or go with the 3/5 passes when we visit in May. See below dates. What days is the Passport valid for? Any link?

Thank you all kindly!!

Hamradio
03-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Now that the Submarine Voyage is closed, this is the only "dive" close to Disneyland! :D

Leap for Joy
03-30-2004, 08:27 PM
The shuttle buses drop off on Harbor Blvd. To be close to that crosswalk, choose something that is 1600ish South Harbor. This map helps Aerial Map of Motels (http://beachcalifornia.com/dlmp.html)

Lekta
03-30-2004, 11:24 PM
That map is great! However, is there perhaps another that someone know of that might include the Alamo Inn and more of the Katella Hotels? Thanks again!

daannzzz
03-31-2004, 07:26 AM
The Alamo is in the lower left corner area.
http://www.geocities.com/ashpsyche/DisneylandLinkMap.html

I had a co-worker stay here 4 years ago and she said it was somewhat dirty and they wouldn't go back. It doesn't sound like they have done much about it over the years.

spectromen
03-31-2004, 07:46 AM
If you are set on staying on Katella, I'd really take a look at the Annabella - not too bad walking distance down Disneyland Dr. and a pretty walk at that. I think if you're coming all this way to vacation in Anaheim, the Alamo Inn is going to sorely disappoint you.

Lekta
03-31-2004, 03:31 PM
Dang, now I am seriously considering cancelling my reservations with them. My only problem is, we want something very close to the park, but, at the same time we cannot really overspend, or else we won't end up with enough money to spend in the parks and on food. I got a rate of 42.30 per night at Alamo and was happy with the rate and I thought I was happy about the location too. But, seems as though this hotel could ruin our vacation.

Plus now I cannot even picture where the hotel is and how we are going to have to walk to Disneyland? I had it in my mind that it was directly across the street. How close is this Downtown Disney area? Across the street?

As always, thank you kindly for your help!

daannzzz
03-31-2004, 03:35 PM
Try checking out the Super 8 at 415 Katella. I haven't stayed there but other Super 8's I have stayed at have been fine. I frequent a Disneyland message boars www.laughingplace.com where a coupld people have said it is no frills but not bad.

daannzzz
03-31-2004, 03:39 PM
http://www.super8.com/Super8/control/Booking/search_check;jsessionid=ArkUf1M10d0623C38rtbTTIUyW roU1flBPIlupHb04WBesCSWarl!-969661216!-1249946192
I don't know if this link will take you to the Anaheim Super * site but try it. If not go to www.super8.com and put in your city and dates and see what price comes up.

spectromen
04-01-2004, 07:52 AM
Lekta, OK I have another idea. Try Priceline for Anaheim-Disneyland, 3 stars, $42 per night. There's a slight chance you could end up with the Marriott, Hilton, or Inn at the Park (I know wrong name, but they change it so often I can't keep track). You would be paying the same price but be much more pleased to come back to your room every night!

42.30 is very good indeed, so I understand why you chose it. If you were able to go a little higher to $55, you might want to switch to the Anaheim Plaza which is on Harbor directly across the street from the entrance. Almost no walking time at all.

Lekta
04-01-2004, 08:28 AM
Thanks, I will give Priceline a try. I'll have to check the finances before bumping up to 55 per night. Doesn't seem like that much more per day, but it adds up almost 100 for the week. That could hurt.

Might anyone have any actual pictures of the Katella Ave Side of Disneyland/DCA? I can't even picture where the hotel sits at all. It is as if I have never ever been down Katella, when, in reality, I am sure I have been down the road plenty. Think I'm just getting old..... :D

Thank you all for your help!

CdnDisneyFan
04-04-2004, 03:22 PM
Found this review url on Trip Advisor, so I thought I'd post it.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g29092-d75513-r1236418-Alamo_Inn-Anaheim_California.html

Good luck

Jules