PDA

View Full Version : DLR Organizational Structure

stitchfan_cm
03-29-2004, 07:53 PM
As a new CM, I was wondering about the DLR organizational structure. I think it is the use of different terms that are throwing me off (A-lead, B-lead, manager, area manager, etc.). I am used to a military form of a structure, can I expect the same from the DLR?

Also, Disney has promoted itself on promoting from the inside of the company as much as possible. While I have noticed that some of you might disagree with this statement, some might say it still stands true. I would like to know how to get ahead in this company and how long it will take to do so. Is it easy to get promoted to a salaried position? Can I still work inside the parks and still receive a good, living pay? I told myself and my family that if after I receive my degree I'm making decent money with the company and I'm enjoying myself, I will stay with it(rather than becomeing an educator).

I'm just planning for the long haul.

Thanks again! You all are so helpful!

sediment
03-30-2004, 09:16 AM
I know nothing about the structure.
Now, after that cautionary note:
The only way to make a good living out of working at Disneyland is to work in the TDA building. I hope your degree is in management or that you have management skills of some sort, as there are a lot of people who get managed at DLR.
Meantime, do great work at DL, get promoted to as high a level as possible, get your degree, and then tell the upper management that you are ready for a challenge. This might take three or more years.

DCAWhites
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
If you want to wear a suit while still working in the park for your same department, try becoming a General lead (the ones who wear suits once or twice a week and are almost like managers, but belong to the union). Once there, get a TSA, a temporary manager assignment, then if they like you, they keep you as a manager :fez: (or promote you permenantly when they need you).

the structure in my dept goes like this:
Host/Hostess
Working Lead
Dispatch Clerk
General Lead
TSA
Assistant Managers (AKA area managers)
Managers, for example the manager of DCA day custodial or Critter Country Attractions.
Directors
Vice president of operations (greg emmer)
President (Matt Ouimet)

PhilMP
03-30-2004, 06:15 PM
Actually, General Leads have been gotten rid of Resort-wide. Some areas are simply not promoting Working Leads to General Leads, other Lines of Business have simply demoted all General Leads back down to Working Leads.

As far as going management, with all the hours and the stress you're under, the salary you get may, or may not seem worth it. However, there is a year-end compensation program that allows for a yearly bonus, based on performance of your Line of Business.

Phil

stitchfan_cm
03-30-2004, 06:37 PM
Here is the deal. I am 18 years old, a college student who thought it would be fun(and IT'S A BLAST!) to work at the DLR. I am wondering where I will be if I stick with the company and I reach the age of 25-28 years old. How much does senority play into getting promoted to the top spots. Also, how difficult is it to become a manager or director. I have heard of Managers, but never directors. Can you fill me in on that DCAWhites?

Does it require a degree to become a manager or director. I figured I would need a degree for upper management, and I just might change my major if thats what it takes.

Thanks for all of your input, this is really helping me out!

Tambour
03-30-2004, 07:12 PM
Stitchfan, it really comes down to what department you are in, and how good you are. There are plenty of folks in TDA without degrees, as there are plenty of people with degrees working on the parks and in the hotels.

I'm surprised no one has talked about departments specifics.
Even though the titles are the same in Facilities as they are in Entertainment, advancement is a totally different ball game in each.

sediment
03-31-2004, 09:18 AM
And do note that Disney is a giant company (for now). There might be opportunities in Burbank or Glendale. Or Orlando.