PDA

View Full Version : Your favourite time of year at DL?

CarlieB
03-29-2004, 01:23 PM
Mine would be any time leading up to the holidays. The lights, the decorations...it all adds up to an even more amazingly magical time, imho.
What's your favourite time of year at DL?

LegolandMC
03-29-2004, 01:25 PM
Definitely Christmas-time. I love (and we're talking obsessive ;)) Christmas. I love Disney. Put the two together, and magic like that just can't be found anywhere else. :)

Plus, add in a holiday parade with my other love, music, and you know...I get the chills. ;)

MotorBoat Cruiser
03-29-2004, 03:36 PM
This year was my first time enjoying the holidays at Disneyland. In that regard, it was really cool to see the park decorated and go on the rides with the holiday overlays. It was fun to get into the holidays spirit.

Still, I enjoy it when it is warmer and there isn't a need to bundle up. I can recall some pretty cold nights during the holidays, which make the "getting wet" rides a bit less fun. My idea of a perfect time at Disneyland is light crowds, around 80 during the day, and then dropping to a still comfortable 70 degrees at night. Basically, I like May and September the best.

BTMichael
03-29-2004, 03:48 PM
Prior to having a child, our favorite time was early to mid October during the middle of the week (Mon->Thurs). At that time, all of the kids were back at school (including the local kids!!!!), the weather was still good (although an occasional rainstorm would occur), and Fantasmic wasn't playing. There is no experience like Disneyland when you are not hurried, pushed and fastpasses aren't necessary. :)

tod
03-29-2004, 04:07 PM
Christmas. Except for the all-day parade of goth weirdos that stretches from the exit of the Haunted Mansion to the entrance of the Haunted Mansion. That I could do without. :eek: But the rest of the park is delightful.

I particularly like the Dickens Carolers.

--t

Germboy
03-30-2004, 12:20 AM
4th of July. I always take my video camera and record the fireworks presentation!

For years, I got so excited hearing Jack Wagner's voice take on a different, excited tone, as he introduced the show "On this very special evening to honor America..."

I remember going one year, when the whole park sang the Star Spangled Banner, in unison, before the first shells began to burst in the sky. My Dad (a Korean War vet) got goosebumps and had tears in his eyes as he was touched by the events of the evening. To this day, he still boasts about that night at Disneyland...

The 4th of July shows got less and less meaningful to me after about 1998. Right before September 11, although the fireworks were great, the show itself was mediocre (in my opinion). There was little patriotic feeling (militaristic, I guess) and it had degenerated to an expose on "what makes America great" and the song that said something about "America, spread your golden wings...keep on flying now...flying high! flying high!" or something like that. I've never found that song to be particularly moving (although I guess Disney does--it's their song, after all.)

After 9-11, the mood changed. The 1st 4th of July after the attacks, came "God Bless America" set to fireworks. Last year's show was a tribute to our armed forces with the theme songs to each branch. I was stunned again. Although I wish it could have been longer (and not an afterthought to the regular Believe show) I took it for what it was--and it was very impressive. Once again, I felt that tug on my heart that Disney has been able to accomplish so well in the past.

I guess the part that impresses me the most about the 4th of July fireworks show is that--for once--YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT TO EXPECT. I've never liked Believe, and it's only gotten worse with time. The X-mas show is better, but it is still so predictable. The New Year's Eve show is fantastic (with its nod to Fantasy In The Sky), but it is still the same every year.

The 4th of July is the one time, for 4-5 minutes during the year, when the presentation is truly unique, truly surprising, and creates memories that last for years. It is a time when the park "shows off" their top-of-the-line fireworks. And it is a time when none of Disneyland's neighbors complain about the smoke. :)

Tutter
03-30-2004, 01:12 AM
Late autumn is the best time for me. When all the holiday decorations are up but it's still a while away and you're in that Halloween mood.

I've never been 4th July but woud love to - that's my next aim. (I've actually never been in the USA on 4th July yet - ah well).

Germboy
03-30-2004, 02:46 AM
Ahh...Tutter! With the way the world must think about us Americans right now, you might think I'm a clod. :rolleyes:
BUT! If you haven't been to the US on the 4th of July, it is truly an experience. I must say, that if you were to come here (Disneyland, or otherwise), you would see that most of us are a proud people that would definitely welcome someone from out of the country to share in our celebration. It would really be a pleasure for you to be here on the 4th! If you come, please know that you will be honored as an American with us...for being American (like being Scottish) is a state of mind. And we love those in the world who cherish their freedom. (A caveat: Disneyland is chaos on the 4th of July. If you go during the day, you will feel like a sardine in the can. Just put up with it as much as you can, and know that the fireworks show at night will reward you handsomely for your trevails!)

03-30-2004, 05:10 AM
4th of July sounds perfect, Germboy! What's more American than fireworks at Disneyland?

For me, Disneyland is all about summer vacation, crowds, and ice cream.

UncleGDogWord
03-30-2004, 06:31 AM
Christmas a the Disneyland is like waking up Christmas morning and seeing your brand new red Schwin with a horn and bannana seat..... Ok not that special, but Disneyland seems to be a more Happier extra special place during the most wonderful time of the year.

Not Afraid
03-30-2004, 06:49 AM
Springtime, but NOT during Spring Break. I love the landscaping at the Castle and all over the park. I like to sit in a comfy spot and just relax.

Holiday season is my other favorite time to go. The decorations are always incredible, the fireworks are spectacular, and Haunted Mansion Holiday is in full force. It's also nice when it actually gets cold and you can bundle up and drink Spiced Cider or a flavored Mocha.

mad4mky
03-30-2004, 08:08 AM
ANY time I am at Disneyland, is my favorite time of the year to be there!! :rolleyes: ;)

But, I do enjoy spring, and early fall (mid-October). :)