PDA

View Full Version : Friday 4/2 Thomas Kinkade at Castle - starting a new painting

Pages : [1] 2

jiminycesq
03-29-2004, 11:49 AM
Here's something I found on the web today that I havent heard about before. My guess is the painting, and prints, will be released for the 50th anniversary or possibly a special event.

Thomas Kinkade at Disneyland® April 2, 2004

When: Friday, April 2, 2004
Viewing Time: 8:00 a.m. - 9:30 a.m.
Location: Castle Forecourt, Sleeping Beauty Castle at Disneyland park

We are pleased to announce that world-renowned artist, Thomas Kinkade will be at Disneyland® park the morning of Friday, April 2, 2004. Commissioned by the Disneyland Resort, Thomas Kinkade is sure to capture the grandeur of Sleeping Beauty Castle as he begins his work on this unique new masterpiece. This is not a signing event. We ask that you bring no personal items to be signed.

About the Artist:
Known as the "Painter of Light" for his light-infused inspirational paintings of idyllic cottages, city scenes, and landscapes that bring hope and joy to millions worldwide, Thomas Kinkade is one of the most successful and collected artists in U.S. History. Born in 1958, Kinkade was raised in the small town of Placerville, CA, where he developed simple, life-affirming ideals that continue to shape his art. Kinkade believes art has the power to touch people's hearts and change their lives. His life goal is to spread joy and peace through his art. Since 1984, Kinkade's paintings have raised millions of dollars for worthwhile causes. He works with non-profit humanitarian relief, child, education, and art foundations to encourage children in the arts by providing grants to schools in need.

We regret that Disneyland® DelivEARS is unable to accept any phone calls, faxes or e-mails regarding Thomas Kinkade's appearance, at this time.

Thats it folks! Hope somebody takes some pics and posts on Mouseplanet next week - thanks!

lisap
03-29-2004, 02:22 PM
Wow--he's only going to be there for an hour and a half. I know he has a huge following, so I'm guessing there will be a good group there to check it out.

Cancer Norm
03-29-2004, 02:42 PM
I wish Thomas Kinkade would learn how to paint.
Just my opinion.

mrs_toad
03-29-2004, 02:53 PM
I wonder if there will be any hecklers there?

"Hey Kinkade...my 5 yr. old paints better than you!"...just a thought :confused:

AVP
03-29-2004, 03:16 PM
I just found out about this and came here to post it, but Mr. Cricket beat me.

A 90 minute appearance, eh? I really wish this didn't sound like a publicity stunt....

AVP

cstephens
03-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Wow--he's only going to be there for an hour and a half. I know he has a huge following, so I'm guessing there will be a good group there to check it out.

OK, I'm confused. He's going to finish his painting in 90 minutes? Or he's just going to paint for 90 minutes and then stop? Or he's not painting at all and just doing a meet-and-greet for 90 minutes?

Not that I'm going, but I'm curious nonetheless.

JeffG
03-29-2004, 06:11 PM
OK, I'm confused. He's going to finish his painting in 90 minutes? Or he's just going to paint for 90 minutes and then stop? Or he's not painting at all and just doing a meet-and-greet for 90 minutes?

From the press release, it sounds like he is going to begin work on a new painting, getting as much done as is reasonable in the 90-minute time period with a big audience of people watching, taking photographs, asking questions, etc. Presumably, he would then complete the painting on his own wherever he normally does his painting.

I agree with AVP that it sounds like a publicity stunt, although I could see where it could be a pretty entertaining one for someone that is a big fan of Kinkade's work. Even if it is pretty much a staged event, it probably would be fun for a fan to see him actually starting work on a new painting, particularly related to a favorite subject.

-Jeff

Not Afraid
03-29-2004, 06:51 PM
He's probably going to do some preliminary skectches for a future painting. I doubt they will set up full canvas, paints and brushes for 90 minutes.

Oh, and did someone say publicity stunt?

Tinker Bell
03-29-2004, 07:33 PM
I had a friend watch him once. he did not do a full painting then just schetches the lighting changes the world turnsya know. I love his work.And hope to be there to see it.

lisap
03-29-2004, 07:34 PM
*shrug*
It's good for him, good for the resort, and good for fans of his stuff. Isn't how that's how most of these things come about? But he'll probably get back to his regular studio and rip up all the stuff he did that morning anyhow and start fresh. Or however the artsy people do it--ceremonial fire, perhaps?** :rolleyes:

**leaving an opening for an obvious joke here...

disneyscott
03-30-2004, 07:32 AM
Does anyone have a link to his work?

cstephens
03-30-2004, 10:49 AM
Does anyone have a link to his work?

Here you go (http://www.thomaskinkade.com/magi/servlet/com.asucon.ebiz.home.web.tk.HomeServlet).

redrhino
03-30-2004, 12:33 PM
I'm not sure whether this is a marriage made in heaven or hell.

I like Disneyland because it allows for one to live (for a moment
perhaps) in a completely UNREAL world, the happiest place on
earth, as it were.

I DISlike Kinkade's work with a passion because it presents a
completely idealized image of the world as if it were reality. He
does far more than Monet ... who is the real painter of light.
(Or maybe it is just his color choice that bothers me.)

I am afraid that he will take the great and grand image of the
castle and trash it ... making the unreal ... um ... unrealistic.
Maybe it will be interesting, but I suspect it will grate on my
artistic sense.

All the best...

Redrhino

Cancer Norm
03-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by redrhino
I DISlike Kinkade's work with a passion because it presents a
completely idealized image of the world as if it were reality.

I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
In my house I have a Monet, (waterlilies) a Van Gogh, (starrynight), and a Gainsbrough, along with other crap on my walls. But three things I do NOT have are:
A) Dogs playing poker on velvet
B) Elvis on velvet
C) Pictures of my ex wife
D) Thomas Kinkade
:D

BornieoTheLoveBug
03-30-2004, 02:04 PM
The mall near me has one of his Galleries in it. Outside there is a lifesize cardboard cut out of him.

Scare's me everytime I walk by.

The Mouse Is Back
03-30-2004, 02:05 PM
I'm glad I'm not the only one!!
In my house I have a Monet, (waterlilies) a Van Gogh, (starrynight), and a Gainsbrough, along with other crap on my walls. But three things I do NOT have are:
A) Dogs playing poker on velvet
B) Elvis on velvet
C) Pictures of my ex wife
D) Thomas Kinkade
:D

Oh, I'll take the velvet paintings before I'd allow anything by Kinkade to taint my walls. At least the velvets have cheesy kitsch value.

He obviously has a lot of fans, but I don't get it. His "light" is technically inaccurate - if the sun, f'rinstance, is the light source, only certain things should be highlighted, but he does an effect type thing that gives equal value to everything. Plus his colors look vulgar to me.

Disclaimer: I'm bitter because I studied long and hard to learn how to paint well and have never been able to make a living at it, and here's this guy making money hand over fist with that stuff. ::grumble grumble curse::

:crying:

;)

Cancer Norm
03-30-2004, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by The Mouse Is Back
He obviously has a lot of fans, but I don't get it. His "light" is technically inaccurate - if the sun, f'rinstance, is the light source, only certain things should be highlighted, but he does an effect type thing that gives equal value to everything. Plus his colors look vulgar to me.

His paintings remind me of those goofy looking guys teaching painting on PBS in the 70's. (thats pre-cable mind you!) Almost all their paintings were landscapes and look very similar to Kinkade's, at least the quality.

mad4mky
03-30-2004, 03:28 PM
I said this in the lounge as well...
But, I am not a huge fan of Thomas Kincaid's work. But, he grew up in the same old town that I did...Placerville, CA. I am kind of surprised that we did not ever meet up at one time or another, as we are the same age...Hmmm...odd.
But, I do love his pictures of the town where we grew up. He portrays Placerville of my youth...the 'working town' of lumber mill workers, loggers, etc. It is certainly not that any more...as it is a big tourist trap.
He depicts some of the most beautiful Victorians ever to grace the Motherlode foothills...which some are beautifully resorted into B & B's. These stately homes were owned by owners of the mills...and local merchants.
He even shows the Main St. Bell Tower in one painting...and the beautiful old Court House at the corner of Main and Bedford. And he paints some of the old, quaint churches around town...that yep...people still do attend.

Placerville scenes (http://www.thomaskinkade.com/magi/servlet/com.asucon.ebiz.catalog.web.tk.CatalogServlet?cata logAction=Product&productId=770&menuNdx=1.9) ...(course, these paintings are of a time....wayyyyy before my time...and heck, even my parents...but these are a few of the homes in and around town).
Say what you will...these paintings remind me of my youth.

But...since I don't own even one print of his...I obviously am not a big buyer of his art.

Pirate Girl
03-30-2004, 05:46 PM
I wish Thomas Kinkade would learn how to paint.
Just my opinion.

You took the words right out of my mouth Zogs. I don't understand the fasination with him, that there would be whole stores across the country selling his prints. I remember when they opened one of his stores in the nearby mall, there was mass chaos of people trying to get his paintings. Personally, even if his paintings were good, he's still too mainstream for my taste.

Pirate Girl
03-30-2004, 05:56 PM
His "light" is technically inaccurate - if the sun, f'rinstance, is the light source, only certain things should be highlighted, but he does an effect type thing that gives equal value to everything. Plus his colors look vulgar to me.

You know he uses blacklight paint? In his gallaries they turn light blacklights on the paintings/prints to make them look like there is some trick to his "light". Kinda sly if you ask me. :|

Hamradio
03-30-2004, 06:36 PM
You know he uses blacklight paint? In his gallaries they turn light blacklights on the paintings/prints to make them look like there is some trick to his "light". Kinda sly if you ask me. :|

Mr. Kinkade used to be a professional matte effects background painter for the movie industry, which explains his style.

Forgive my sarcasm, but you just know this will be a tie-in product with Disneyland's 50th Anniversary, which will add another $1000 to the already outrageous retail price. :rolleyes:

I do not own any of his works, but wish him well in his future endeavors.

The Mouse Is Back
03-30-2004, 06:48 PM
Thanks to mad4mky, I actually got a look at a different Kinkade style that varies wildly from his usual, well-known, hurts-your-eyes kinda thing.

There was a thumbnail of a view of Catalina Island, and another one of the exterior of a café, and they are actually pretty good (did I say that? :eek: ).

I hope he uses this "other" style for the Castle painting, but I have a feeling it will probably be the more recognizable signature blacklight look.

Hamradio, you're right, that DOES explain a lot about his technique!

JeffG
03-30-2004, 09:26 PM
I wasn't really familiar with Kincade, although now that I see the comments about the blacklight displays, I think I saw (and liked) some of his paintings during a visit to Las Vegas last year. I did go out to the website that was linked above and looked at some of his paintings and found that I really liked them. They aren't ultra-realistic, but I thought they had a very attractive look to them. I would imagine he could do a nice job with a painting of the Disneyland castle.

-Jeff

Opus1guy
03-30-2004, 09:33 PM
You all did know that before striking it big on his own, Tom Kinkade used to work at WED Imagineering for several years?

He worked on several projects, but if memory serves me he did many Epcot artist conceptional paintings for Disney.

TDBearGrrl
03-31-2004, 08:00 AM
I don't really care for his work - it's too busy for me. But, my SIL loves his stuff so I am going to go and see if I can't get some pics of him working for her. Then when I get her the print I can give her the pic, too. Hey, I'm unemployed now, what else is there to do!