PDA

View Full Version : First time ever to Disneyland

Hakuna Makarla
03-29-2004, 08:14 AM
I am taking 2 kids, one 9girl and her brother 3.my question is, is the howard johnson a good and close motel, and also we plan on staying for 4 days, and we got the 3 day meal plan, is that a good plan or should we upgrade ? I am not sure if the 3 day plan is going to be good enough to feed us all 3 meals a day for 3 days.how do the meal plans work? it says only 1 breakfast, 1 meal in the park( what does this mean) and then vouchers? sorry, I am new and need good advice.
I plan on taking a stroller, but do we need car seats for anything( shuttles) are they mandatory any where we go?
Also is the weather great for the end of August?
what street is the main gate to disney land on? thanks much **karla

Ghoulish Delight
03-29-2004, 08:42 AM
Also is the weather great for the end of August?
what street is the main gate to disney land on? thanks much **karlaI'll answer the two questions that I can. First, expect it to be HOT. Sorry to say, late August tends to be scorching out here. But then again, as we found out yesterday at MouseAdventure, late March can also be scorching. Welcome to SoCal.

The main entrance is accessible from Harbor blvd. From where the HoJo is, you'll just cross the street and head a little bit south, and you're there.

mrs_toad
03-29-2004, 09:05 AM
Hi Karla. I am not an expert on DL like most of the posters on this board. But I can answer a few questions.

I have not stayed at the Howard Johnson's myself. But I have read numerous reviews on the motel at tripadvisor.com. Most folks seem to really like the place and it is close to the park. You should check out that site for lots of info on the HoJo. I would think about giving it a try myself.

Now, about the food vouchers. I tried that plan a couple of years ago with another adult. We actually had a hard time using them all up in our time frame. And I'm not sure you really save any money on the plan. I remember doing the math and it comes out pretty even. But they are kind of fun to use, especially for the kids. I would stick to the 3 day plan and you can pay for additional meals on your own. There are many restaurants close to your hotel that you might want to use for breakfast, etc. McDonalds (for the kids), IHOP, Tony Roma's (good for takeout too), Mom's Family Restaurant at The Best Western Park Place Inn (good quality food when I was there).

I hope your first visit to DLR a great one! You certainly came to the right place for Disney info. If they had a Disney Jeopardy...the posters on this board would be the champs! :)

Lekta
03-29-2004, 10:21 AM
Karla,

I stayed at the HoJo a few years ago, and, while it is a quality hotel that is very close to the maingate, it does have a few problems. Remember to ask the hotel staff to get you a room on the front side of the hotel, as the back side sits facing the freeway and that is all that you will hear if you are on that side. And forget about opening your patio (back) door if it gets stuffy. That freeway is noisey. Other then that, it is a great hotel within a few blocks of Disneyland and directly across the street from some very good eating establishments. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Hakuna Makarla
03-29-2004, 11:50 AM
I am so excited I could cry, the info here is great!! Thank you so much!!
Do you guys know what resturants we can get to with out a shuttle and just be able to walk to from our motel ? ( real close) we need to be a little spend thrifty so we can be sure to have enough for some souviners.
Also can some one here tell me about resturants in sandiego? we are staying there at the best western seven sea's lodge (411 hotel circle) and I can not get them to contact me back to tell me if there is resturants close by. I do not want to at at there expensive one on site. we will be spending 2 days there to go to seaworld, and the zoo.
thanks again

CarlieB
03-29-2004, 12:06 PM
Mimi's Cafe is right next to the Howard Johnson I believe. There are also quite a few restaurants along Harbor as you walk to the parks - there's a McDonalds along the way,as well as some others (IHOP, etc). There are also of course a few restaurants at Downtown Disney, which isn't much of a walk from the HoJo.

chickenXing
04-01-2004, 02:30 PM
Also can some one here tell me about resturants in sandiego? we are staying there at the best western seven sea's lodge (411 hotel circle) and I can not get them to contact me back to tell me if there is resturants close by.

Karla,

I lived in San Diego for 18 years and I have to say that The Old Spaghetti Factory is one of my favorite restraunts.

http://www.oldspaghettifactory.com

Their prices are quite reasonable and you get a lot for your dollar.

Have a great trip! :D

Hakuna Makarla
04-01-2004, 02:59 PM
I do not have a car to drive while I am there, i will have to take shuttles from parks to hotel, I am hoping to at least find a store close to circle st. so I can buy a few things. thanks **KArla

Zigen
04-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Also can some one here tell me about resturants in sandiego? we are staying there at the best western seven sea's lodge (411 hotel circle) and I can not get them to contact me back to tell me if there is resturants close by. I do not want to at at there expensive one on site. we will be spending 2 days there to go to seaworld, and the zoo.
thanks again

I live in San Diego, there are a couple of good places to eat around hotel circle. Old town has many good resturants and is about a mile or 2 or 3 away from where you are. Also you have 2 huge malls, Fashion and Mission Valley that are very close to you that have good food courts and resturants (cheescake factory is great at fashion). Mission has Seau's if you have any sports lovers in the family and the prices are resonable. Theres are T.G.I.F. near your hotel. Come to think about it, there are many places to eat within a mile to 2 from your location.

The Old Spaghetti Factory is ok but it's in downtown and unless your planning on going downtown, I wouldnt go there just for the food. Downtown parking can be crazy depending on the day you come. Usually the weekend wait is about an hour or more which isn't very good for a 3 yr old. That's my opinion.

Not Afraid
04-01-2004, 03:12 PM
There's a great, old style breakfast (lunch & dinner, too) place on the Circle. It's attached to one of the hotels (Comfort Inn???) and it is called....Rikkis.

Hakuna Makarla
04-01-2004, 03:17 PM
cool! I will look it up and see if it is close. I can not walk to far with kids in the evening.I come from a small town, we can walk at night but not sure in big city life. thanks

Zigen
04-01-2004, 03:23 PM
There should be a Wendy's and Deny's within walking distance from your hotel too.