PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland on CNN Headline news...

teri
03-28-2004, 06:48 PM
Nice blast from the past on Headlines News tonight. In the story about increased ticket prices at Disneyland, they showed beautiful footage of the Matterhorn with the monorail purple going by, and the People Mover! Gosh, if the People Mover is back, maybe the increase in ticket prices isn't so bad! :rolleyes:

Disney Vault
03-28-2004, 07:56 PM
why do people like the peoplemover. I went on the on at wdw and it was so stupid. I agree it would be better than having nothing but i would rather have them build a new ride instead of bring that back.

Disneyfreak
03-28-2004, 08:05 PM
I agree that the peoplemover was stupid. It put me to sleep when I was little. But they had the right idea with rocket rods but failed to make it a solid design. :mad:

Germboy
03-28-2004, 08:26 PM
Nice blast from the past on Headlines News tonight. In the story about increased ticket prices at Disneyland, they showed beautiful footage of the Matterhorn with the monorail purple going by, and the People Mover! Gosh, if the People Mover is back, maybe the increase in ticket prices isn't so bad! :rolleyes:

So funny you wrote this! I just drove to San Diego for the weekend and couldn't get CNN in my hotel--so I had to watch CNN Headline News. I was in hysterics because, even though I cannot justify the price increase in my own mind, I was shocked that it was a big enough deal for CNN to have reported it...especially because national news seems to rarely report anything about "that dumpy little Disney park in Anaheim." Normally WDW hogs the spotlight nationally.

It is also funny what you noticed that convinced you it was old footage. I thought, if THAT is Disneyland, why is IASW pastel-colored? I figured it out pretty quickly. :)

And BTW, People Mover was great. I miss it.

AVP
03-28-2004, 08:50 PM
Earth to CNN - time to get some new B-roll!!!

AVP

mousey_girl
03-29-2004, 06:46 AM
The footage that was used on the local news stations here showed the Rocket Rods.

03-29-2004, 07:25 AM
It is also funny what you noticed that convinced you it was old footage. I thought, if THAT is Disneyland, why is IASW pastel-colored? I figured it out pretty quickly.

And BTW, People Mover was great. I miss it.

We noticed the same thing, Germboy! There must have been a good 15 seconds of It's A Small World with the train passing by.

Re: People Mover
I never liked it until MousePad posts convinced me it was important. It was one of those Tomorrowland things in motion - subs, autopia, skyway, monorail, People Mover - that made Tomorrowland feel so alive.

dlazechk
03-31-2004, 08:16 PM
the people mover was our tomorrowland answer to a quick loading, something to do ride in the busy times instead of shopping in the stores. we also used to use hm and potc for the same reason. btw, we rode the rocket rods once and it was a waste of our time.

NirvanaMan
03-31-2004, 09:07 PM
The FoxNews footage showed the old parking lot sign. :rolleyes:

Crispy
03-31-2004, 09:32 PM
I always enjoyed the People Mover (although I prefer the smoother WDW version to the bumpier DL version). It's not meant to be a thrilling ride, but rather a relaxing sightseeing ride like Disneyland Railroad or the Mark Twain or Columbia. I think the overhead track has sat empty long enough... time to bring it back!

Cris

Opus1guy
04-01-2004, 12:26 AM
Well at least they're not showing old footage of the Indian Village or something. :)

Germboy
04-01-2004, 02:56 AM
the people mover was our tomorrowland answer to a quick loading, something to do ride in the busy times instead of shopping in the stores. we also used to use hm and potc for the same reason. btw, we rode the rocket rods once and it was a waste of our time.

Yes! People can say what they want, but I was in disbelief when they removed it (sort of like how I felt when they removed the Disneyland marquee and entrance on Harbor Blvd.), and even more taken aback when it was replaced by the Rocket Rods. What was the point in that? Thrills?!? An expose on how Imagineering can't produce a viable product? And now look what we're left with... I wonder what people think, who have never been to the park, looking up at this cement canopy--let's GUESS what it is supposed to be--sunshade?

I found an old Tomorrowland Entrance photo from the early 70's and use it as my wallpaper. Nothing like seeing the Peoplemover, occupied buildings, the American flag, palm trees, green grass, and the white, silver and black color combinations. (Along with all of the corporate sponsors prominently displayed on the buildings!)

Lekta
04-01-2004, 08:33 AM
Do you have a scanner by chance? I'd love to see that picture that you have as your background.

DorisZ
04-02-2004, 04:32 PM
The first time we took the youngest to Disneyland, I must have ridden the People mover over 50 times. It was his favorite ride. I didn't mind, except for the TRON part.

I agree that a new ride may be a better choice, but the People Mover was better than nothing.

We need something in Tomorrowland! :crying:

SuperDry
04-02-2004, 08:51 PM
The PeopleMover was one my favorite rides when I was a kid (my parents never understood why I always wanted to go on it). I was really disappointed when they took it out.

TP2000
04-03-2004, 12:46 AM
The PeopleMover was my favorite ride as a child. Seriously.

I really miss it, and it's another perfect example of how badly they screwed up Tomorrowland.

danyoung
04-03-2004, 11:33 AM
I wouldn't say that the PeopleMover was ever a favorite of mine, but it was a nice way to rest your feet while seeing what was going on around Tomorrowland. And with never a wait in line, it was always a sure thing if you had to kill a few minutes before an attraction or show.

I did the Rocket Rods thing a few times, and while I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was a very worthy successor to the PeopleMover. I'm sorry both are gone, but I miss the PeopleMover the most.

Opus1guy
04-03-2004, 02:32 PM
Well if you really miss the Wedway Peoplemover, you can get a nostalgic "fix" with Kevin Yee's great home movie:

http://www.visionsfantastic.com/visions/video/peoplemover.wmv

Go! Go! GoodYear! :)

DisneyDaniel
04-03-2004, 02:50 PM
Funny how reading the last few posts reminded me how my favorite Disneyland ride as a child also was the People Mover! Perhaps for some of us as kids, we didn't need rides to be wild or crazy to enjoy them--something more simple did the trick! Unfortunately, my two other favorite rides as a kid are also gone: Submarine Voyage and the Skyway.

danyoung
04-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Does anyone remember the signage on the moving sidewalk up to the loading level? It used to be sponsored by Goodyear, and there used to be this animated sign of a guy riding on a tractor. The wheels were going round, and he was bouncing up and down on his seat. I wish Kevin's video included a shot of that. For whatever reason it sticks in my mind as a great memory from DL's past.

dghosthost
04-03-2004, 07:39 PM
Yeah, saw it Teri. Actually, saw it while at our hotel on a trip to Disneyland. My sis and I'd taken a dinner break and caught the story. We just looked at each other as I said: It should look so good!