PDA

View Full Version : Hiring Freeze at Disneyland?

Upanova
10-18-2001, 08:15 AM
Okay, after reading Al's update today, I'm concerned about the Disneyland hiring freeze? Can anyone, cast member or otherwise tell me more about when the freeze may be lifted?

I used to be a CM last year, and my 6 months are up. I don't want to walk into TDA only to be told to turn around and go home! I've been waiting for quite some time for the right time to go back down and reapply. I was an Attractions CM and I would like to get my old job back. When would be a good time to try to squeeze into getting my old job back for the holidays? Or should I just wait until summer? I really would like to get back to work right away, what with the economy going into a deep slump, being jobless right now seems to be the worst thing that could happen. Plus, I'd like some more cash for the holidays---which may not even happen at all, if I don't find another job! I was planning to head on down there next week, or the first week in November, now it looks like I had better reconsider. Or I should have gone in before Sept. 11th!

Can anyone give me just a hint of what it's like down in Casting? I don't want to turn in an app, only to be told "Come back in 6 months." I left on good terms last year, and I have a good record with the company, so I would like to know how things are with the company.

Are people getting let go right and left at Disneyland, or are they still considering people for jobs in the Resort? Mainly---Attractions.

Thanks for any help you can give me with this! I want my old job back! I miss it!

Upanova

thamnarestan
10-18-2001, 08:23 AM
Sorry, but will be a hiring freeze in place indefinitely. Al speculated that it might be lifted around the Christmas season, but I think that was just a guess.

CMs are being told to fill out transfer forms because a lot of positions on attractions will be opening up (when people quit.) There are no plans to fire hourly CMs in the near future, though there has been some talk of firing more managers.

Sorry! Why did you quit in the first place?

Upanova
10-18-2001, 08:37 AM
Ugh, my commute was terrible! That was the worst of it, and caused me to quit. I took the 91 freeway from Riverside County, I lived about an hour away, and it was putting a huge burden on my car and me as well. But now I have a new car, that's totally reliable, and I'm ready to face the commute again, only if I can work nights, instead of weekday mornings. That was what killed me around Spring Break time. It was horrible! So I'm a little wiswer now about schedualing.....wish I could go back though. It was the best job I've ever had!

Upanova

marron-cream
10-18-2001, 09:30 AM
They are definitely not hiring for attractions... in fact, I think the few open positions are in 3rd shift custodial, guest services (ie Main Gate ticket taker), and security. There may be more, but attractions and stores are not part of them.

PhilMP
10-18-2001, 12:49 PM
They're not even hiring for Custodial, Guest Relations, Main Gate, or Security. They're only encouraging CMs from other departments to transfer, which is why they're holding the transfer opportunity fair on 19-20 OCT.

I was thinking of transfering from ODV to Guest Relations, but then I found out I lose all my seniority, which isn't a lot, but it beats starting all over again.

Besides, I still think ODV's the best department at the Resort, even though nobody else think so. :)

Phil

marron-cream
10-18-2001, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by PhilMP
I was thinking of transfering from ODV to Guest Relations, but then I found out I lose all my seniority, which isn't a lot, but it beats starting all over again.

LOL, me too! I've stayed as long as I have in hopes of actually getting something on my preference... now that it's happening, I'm not giving it up! :p

Morrigoon
10-18-2001, 07:43 PM
Security pays better than other positions. Of course you could end up sitting in a parking lot.

TP2000
10-19-2001, 03:32 AM
The Casting Center is not open, and is only staffed with a secretary to turn people away. Disneyland Resort is not hiring, and when they do it will most likely only be for Security or Third Shift Custodial.

You should have held on to your job if you really liked it. Perhaps there's a mall out in Riverside with a Disney Store or something that may be taking applications for Christmas help? Disneyland won't be in the cards for you, or anyone, for some time.

ripplededge
10-19-2001, 05:42 PM
As for DLR Security we just hired 230 new CM's. And you now must be of 21 years of age, and have a driver's license to even get an interview, I believe.

As for what TP2000 said:
"Disneyland won't be in the cards for you, or anyone, for some time."
Dang, you sound so negative… what did you get turned down?

“The Casting Center is not open, and is only staffed with a secretary to turn people away. Disneyland Resort is not hiring…”
Who told you this? Are you the Casting secretary at the front desk? They do not turn people away. Atleast you can get an application. If that fails, the Security CM’s at TDA most of the time have some at the office.