PDA

View Full Version : The Improved Indiana Jones Adventure

Pages : [1] 2

Jason&Jana
03-26-2004, 12:42 PM
I heard that the ride was going to open today. Has anybody rode on it yet? What is changed and new? I plan on going next Friday, I cant wait to see what improvements have been made.

Disneyfreak
03-26-2004, 03:56 PM
I want to know this information too because I want to go tonight if it is open.

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-26-2004, 05:32 PM
Over at miceage.com they say "The current plan is to have Disneyland visitors riding the attraction by Tuesday, March 30th. There is much new technology inside that attraction now, but it's been giving the WDI staff plenty of headaches trying to get it all working. The newly digitized projections in the "Rat Room" don't seem to work properly, the giant snake's head was manufactured improperly, and there's plenty of smaller technical snafus all throughout the ride. But when they get all of the bugs out of all of the new additions, the attraction is said to look better than opening day back in '95. And that's probably a good thing, because when Universal's new Mummy ride opens in June the comparisons to Disneyland's Indy will be coming fast and furious."

John

Disneyfreak
03-26-2004, 05:37 PM
AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW so no Indy today! :mad:
I wanted to go on it today!!!

IndyBones
03-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Everything new is basically operational, just not show-worthy. There is still much testing to be done. The magic is in the details, and that's what we're after lately. The Miceage article isnt too far off the mark.

Most of the rehab specifics have been posted around the web already. Of course someone along the way had to spill some beans. That information is mostly correct. I am impressed with the quality of some of our new effects. (the bug room projector in particular, is outstanding--the clarity is comparable to that of the new swordfight projector on pirates, maybe better) And its good to see some of our long-gone effects return better than ever.

Beyond that, well you'll just have to see for yourself. Please be patient and courteous with cast members and fellow guests as everyone settles in.

As for the soft opening, just a few more days.

Disneyfreak
03-27-2004, 01:08 AM
Yeah it is not up today, I just went there and the wall is still up. :|
But I went on big thunder and it was soooooo fast tonight, it had to of been 5-10 mph faster. I am not making that up and it is not an illusion because I went on it just a week ago and it was in the day time and was not as fast.

Chemmech
03-27-2004, 11:26 AM
Hopefully soon :). April 2nd is just around the corner.

Jason&Jana
03-30-2004, 07:56 AM
Is there any word to when this ride is going to open? Is today the big day? Any new news would be appreciated.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-30-2004, 09:17 AM
I'm sure that as soon as anyone here rides the new and improved Indy, they'll post about it.

dude
03-30-2004, 09:31 AM
And its good to see some of our long-gone effects return better than ever.

Could you possibly be referring to the ice machine thingy??

Disneyfreak
03-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Was Indy open today 3/30/04 as claimed by sources?

IndyBones
03-30-2004, 10:27 PM
No.

And sorry dude, no ice machine.

Disneyfreak
03-30-2004, 10:33 PM
What I dont understand is why cant they just build another and make the ice machine external from the ceiling and fix the flaw with it? Also can you give us a list of what exactly took place and what they fixed?

CoasterMatt
03-31-2004, 04:48 AM
The ice machine is literally built into the roof, and because of a short-sighted, STUPID cost cutting decision, it's rotted through. It would be VERY expensive to replace now, because replacing it would require a lot of work on the building itself.

dustytraveler
03-31-2004, 06:10 AM
I'm sure that as soon as anyone here rides the new and improved Indy, they'll post about it.
:~D But Mom, are we there yet? :~D

eor1222
03-31-2004, 02:01 PM
The ice machine is literally built into the roof, and because of a short-sighted, STUPID cost cutting decision, it's rotted through. It would be VERY expensive to replace now, because replacing it would require a lot of work on the building itself.

What was the purpose of this "ice machine"?

sediment
03-31-2004, 02:10 PM
If something is rotted through, wouldn't it be prudent to replace the rot?

Purpose of ice machine was to make a fog. I think it was making or maintaining dry ice, wasn't it? Regardless, making stuff cold (metal piping, mostly) causes condensation, which causes dripping, which causes rot. Best to know this before building, in order for the drips to be collected elsewhere.

Also, there's a spoilers thread in here somewhere about Indy. Be prepared to be spoiled, though.

Subsonic
03-31-2004, 02:24 PM
Purpose of ice machine was to make a fog. I think it was making or maintaining dry ice, wasn't it? Regardless, making stuff cold (metal piping, mostly) causes condensation, which causes dripping, which causes rot. Best to know this before building, in order for the drips to be collected elsewhere.

Acually, the ice machine dropped ice. Which had the effect of part of the structure blowing up and chunks coming out.

They have "fog machines" to make fog :)

sediment
03-31-2004, 02:40 PM
They thought ice would be effective? Sounds like a watery mess to me. I don't even recall this effect, but according to the spoiler thread it wasn't effective for too long.
(Dry ice would have been more effective, unless it were to touch a person's skin. Then, we'd be discussing lawsuits.)

tod
03-31-2004, 05:07 PM
They thought ice would be effective? Sounds like a watery mess to me. I don't even recall this effect, but according to the spoiler thread it wasn't effective for too long.

It was awesome, a giant dramatically uplit thing the size of a basketball falling from the ceiling and shattering into a zillion pieces with a loud SMASH just as you rounded the corner and faced the big mask of Mara with the fire blazing out of one eye.

You're thinking of something you put in your drink, which isn't awesome at all.

And dry ice is just plain dangerous, and it won't melt and be re-frozen like water ice will.

--t

Disneyfreak
03-31-2004, 05:56 PM
Like I said before, why cant they just duplicate this effect by making another separate ice machine that is external to the roof and just leave the rotting one in there? Also is the new effect the effect they have in tokyo where the figure blows a ring of fire in your face?

Captain Josh
03-31-2004, 07:36 PM
All I can say is, Spirit of Adventure is good to go.

...now if only I could convince people to wait in line with me.

dustytraveler
03-31-2004, 07:48 PM
Also is the new effect the effect they have in tokyo where the figure blows a ring of fire in your face?

The Smoke-ring effect is instead of the rats at TDS. It is a very nice effect and works well. However, we are set up for rats, so I would guess that we still have them (although digital now).

BTW, the smoke-ring effect advances the story a bit in Tokyo. A stone faced god says something to you in japanese and then blows a smoke ring at you, which you then drive through. You then enter the blow-dart room, which has actual statues in TDS rather than just painted dart-blowers. It really helps build the excitement leading to the big boulder.

Disneyfreak
03-31-2004, 07:50 PM
The Smoke-ring effect is instead of the rats at TDS. It is a very nice effect and works well. However, we are set up for rats, so I would guess that we still have them (although digital now).

BTW, the smoke-ring effect advances the story a bit in Tokyo. A stone faced god says something to you in japanese and then blows a smoke ring at you, which you then drive through. You then enter the blow-dart room, which has actual statues in TDS rather than just painted dart-blowers. It really helps build the excitement leading to the big boulder.

I really wish they would install these two things. I would gladly wait another 3 months if we got those two things and maybe the ice machine back.

Crispy
03-31-2004, 09:26 PM
They actually have a smoke ring effect in Pooh at WDW in the Hephalumps and Woozles section. I thought it would be in the Disneyland version and was surprised that it wasn't. Am still glad that Indy is getting the attention that it has needed. Hats off to management for the rehab!

Cris