PDA

View Full Version : Character breakfast...

LOYL2DZNY
03-26-2004, 11:52 AM
Can anyone give me the low down on the best place for a buffet style character breakfast @ the park or @ any of the resort hotels. Which is the cheapest? What opens the earliest? and so on and so on. Any info would be appreciated. I called the phone # for dining info & reservations @ the resort, but I was on hold forever. Thanks in advance!

Sheila
03-26-2004, 01:07 PM
Can anyone give me the low down on the best place for a buffet style character breakfast @ the park or @ any of the resort hotels. Which is the cheapest? What opens the earliest? and so on and so on. Any info would be appreciated. I called the phone # for dining info & reservations @ the resort, but I was on hold forever. Thanks in advance!

Well, I don't know the exact prices each buffet costs, but they're all in the $20-30 range. You'll probably have to call the Resort for starting times.

However, I can certainly provide a link for you to reviews on all of the character dining choices at Disneyland:

Character dining at DLR (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/find.cgi?product-category=Disneyland%20Resort%20%2F%20Restaurants%2 0%2F%20Character%20dining)

I think Goofy's Kitchen seems to get the most consistently good reviews. The character breakfast at Storyteller's seems to get the worst reviews.

Have fun!
Sheila

cstephens
03-26-2004, 03:03 PM
3 of the 4 reviews about Storyteller's are fairly good reviews. The only really bad review pretty much pointed out the biggest problem with Storyteller's breakfast - it's billed as a character breakfast, but it's not like any of the other character breakfasts, so expectations end up getting not met, I think. On the other hand, if you want a character meal where you're not accosted by characters, with really good food to boot, it's an ideal place.

LOYL2DZNY - I don't have all the information you're looking for, but I do have several restaurant reviews posted at this link (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrdining.html) that you might find helpful. There are two reviews of Storyteller Cafe's breakfast, one with pictures and one without, but both have a lot of information. I've also got a review of Plaza Inn's breakfast. And, it's not open for breakfast, but I've also got a review of lunch at Ariel's Grotto. I haven't been to Goofy's Kitchen in quite some time (we're going for Easter brunch, so I'll have one up after that), but that seems to get a lot of good reviews, and they're open pretty early in the morning (7ish). Paradise Pier Hotel has a Minnie and Friends character breakfast at PCH Grill, but I've heard it's not very good, and with our really bad experience at last year's Easter brunch (http://www.colddeadfish.net/dlrrests/easterbrunch2003.html), I don't envision ever going back to that restaurant again.

Have fun!

shawnarae
03-26-2004, 04:46 PM
I have taken my kids to Goofy's Kitchen at DLH twice ,and the Minnie & Friends @ Paradise Pier once. Goofy's kitchen was better by far! I felt I got more for my money and there was a better selection of food (for kids and adults). At the Minnie and Friends I told my hubby I wanted to take my plate over to Goofy's Kitchen to fill up and come back. For the price we paid I expected more food out and more characters at Minnie & Friends. Goofy's was full of characters both times I went. I called and got the 1st reservations for opening time. It is better this way. No lines and you get to spend more time with the characters. We also did the professional pictures they do there at the restaurant. We saw Mickey and Minnie, plus 2 princesses (Cinderella & Snow White) and a lot of animal charcters (Goofy, Pluto, Donald, Chip, Dale, ect..). At Minnie and Friends we only saw Daisy Duck, Minnie, Donald and Goofy's nephew Max. There was less people there too. Both places we got to dance and do the limbo with the characters. At Goofy's it was more natural & at Minnie's it was more forced. The Cast members were almost begging people to join in. Just a whole different feeling there I guess. From my past visits I'd only do Goofy's Kitchen. Overall it won my approval. Very kid friendly (son knocked over his juice twice), clean, lots of characters, good food for kids/adults and everyone there was very friendly!!! And price was between $20-30. I believe it was cheaper then the dinner prices.

Wonder Mouse
03-27-2004, 10:20 AM
My vote would be for Goofy's. I have been to Storytellers as well and Chip, Dale and Pluto did not come to the table you had to go to see them. There are more characters at Goofy's and I found the food to be just as good.

heidiwhr
03-27-2004, 01:47 PM
Goofy's Kitchen - Hands down!

I have been to Minnie's and Storytellers, but they do not have near the amount of characters or food selection as Goofy's does. We make sure we get to Goofy's every time we are at DL - it's sooooo worth it! I think the current prices are around $27.00 for adults and $14,00 for kids, but don't quote me on that. The DL dining phone number would have more info.

sleepyjeff
03-27-2004, 05:38 PM
I like Storytellers the best. I have not been to Goofys in years, so I can't help much there. I hate the plaza Inn.....the foods not really bad, but the whole place is very stressful--too busy( and not in a good way).

What I really like about Storytellers is that the tables are set, and they will bring you your drinks( and even food if you wish to order off the menu instead of going up to the buffet ). At the Plaza inn you have to keep going back and forth for everything--and around everybody else who is going back and forth.

:)

mrs_toad
03-28-2004, 10:05 AM
I've been to Goofy's Kitchen for breakfast about 5 times or so. And it has always been very good. I recommend it.

I just called and made my reservation for May. I think Sunday is a good day to call. I tried getting through during the week and the wait was way too long.

The prices for breakfast (it's more like brunch) are:

Adults- $19.99

Children (3-11) - $10.99

I feel that's a really nice price break on the kids. And the food is decent quality too! A huge selection, I might add. :)

LOYL2DZNY
03-29-2004, 09:29 AM
WOW! Thank you all for the great responses! It looks like I might just have to do a little research of my own, seeing that there were so many helpful opinions. Thanks again! Maybe I'll be able to add my own review soon! :)

Hakuna Makarla
03-29-2004, 06:19 PM
I would like to try this goofys kitchen, is it in the park? where exactly do I go from my howard johnson hotel? It would be great if one acually had a map of these locations. please, if you can help let me know how to get to this place and one more thing, I bought the disney meal plan that says I have one caracter meal, can I use it for the goofy kitchen? we bought the goofy package ( 3 days) and what time does this resturant open? do we need to make reservations before we go on our trip or just before we go and eat? thank you so much **Karla

Hakuna Makarla
03-29-2004, 06:21 PM
sorry, I mean we bought the donald meal plan. :)

cstephens
03-29-2004, 06:28 PM
I would like to try this goofys kitchen, is it in the park? where exactly do I go from my howard johnson hotel? It would be great if one acually had a map of these locations. please, if you can help let me know how to get to this place and one more thing, I bought the disney meal plan that says I have one caracter meal, can I use it for the goofy kitchen? we bought the goofy package ( 3 days) and what time does this resturant open? do we need to make reservations before we go on our trip or just before we go and eat? thank you so much **Karla

Goofy's Kitchen is located inside the Disneyland Hotel.

Goofy's opens at about 7am or 8am, I believe, and you should definitely make reservations to be sure that you can go when you want to. It's a very busy restaurant. Also, there was a time when they weren't taking walk-ups, but I don't know if that's still going on. Definitely make a reservation.

Hakuna Makarla
03-29-2004, 06:37 PM
thank you so much, now where is this disney land hotel :) is it any where close to the howard johnson hotel?

mrs_toad
03-29-2004, 06:49 PM
Karla,

For Disney Dining reservations call (714) 781-3463. You can call up to 60 days in advance of your intended reservation. You definitely want to make a reservation.

I believe you can use your vouchers at GK. But you can ask for that information from Disney Dining also.

The Disneyland Hotel is about (I'm not good at judging distances) a good 1/2 to 3/4 miles from your hotel. It's a nice walk and does not seem long to me, but I enjoy walking. You can walk right through Downtown Disney.

Hakuna Makarla
03-29-2004, 07:03 PM
isn't down town disney in the park? what time does one get into the park? thanks again:)

ChipmunkStar
03-29-2004, 09:57 PM
isn't down town disney in the park? what time does one get into the park? thanks again:)

Nope, DownTown Disney is actually to the side/between the two parks. From the Howard Johnson, just go down to where you'd normally go for the park,s but bypass the parks entrances and keep on walking. You'll be heading right through DTD (DownTown Disney for short).

There's a map of the resort here (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/dlr/landing/destinationMap?sptype=IS&ipsrc=media&reftype=pi) . You'll be walking in from the far right hand side of the map, all the way to the Disneyland Hotel on the other side. It really is a shorter walk then it looks like when you have good company :)

julia
03-30-2004, 02:31 PM
Hi,

Goofy's Kitchen is the classic Character Breakfast - very fun! I don't think you can really go wrong with Goofy's Kitchen. Storyteller's Cafe's brunch buffet is fabulous (breakfast is my favorite meal so it was my dream scenario), but the characters are much more low-key and kids have to go up to the characters. Miss Minnie & Friends at Paradise Pier is not as crazy as Goofy's Kitchen, but more busy and fun than Storyteller's Cafe. I'd go with Goofy's Kitchen....

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Best Regards,
Julia