PDA

View Full Version : Tropical Hideaway at Disneyland

cstephens
12-19-2018, 10:39 AM
We got to enjoy a preview of Tropical Hideaway this morning. Really enjoyed it. It should be in soft open right now and will officially open tomorrow.

I'll be posting pics on Twitter if you're interested - @cstephens2 .

Shortpix77
12-19-2018, 01:08 PM
We got to enjoy a preview of Tropical Hideaway this morning. Really enjoyed it. It should be in soft open right now and will officially open tomorrow.

I'll be posting pics on Twitter if you're interested - @cstephens2 .

Thanks for all the tweets and pictures!! I'm excited to try this place. Regarding the raspberry-pineapple and orange-pineapple soft serves: Do they have the raspberry and orange flavors separate as well, or are both just available in swirl form? I'm happy either way, just curious. I want to try them all. Curious to see if the orange is identical to the WDW orange soft serve :-)

cstephens
12-19-2018, 03:04 PM
Regarding the raspberry-pineapple and orange-pineapple soft serves: Do they have the raspberry and orange flavors separate as well, or are both just available in swirl form?

They have all three as separate flavors as well as part of the swirls.

Shortpix77
12-19-2018, 07:38 PM
They have all three as separate flavors as well as part of the swirls.

YESSSSS. Thanks :-) I have so much soft-serve to try...

Berry Princess
12-22-2018, 04:22 PM
We looked at it on Thursday when we were there. I am not a fan of pineapple but am glad to hear the soft serve is separate instead of swirled only. I'd probably pop in for just the orange flavor on its own. Daughter might like the swirled options or just the pineapple (she hasn't had a Dole Whip yet). Otherwise the food options are not are thing but we did like the look of the place. It was very well done.

NickP
12-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Is this the same orange whip that WDW has? I have always wanted to try it, never been to WDW.
How are the bao's? I am a bao fan but have heard opinions all over the place on these.
I do love chicken/pork lumpia but desert lumpia doesn't really sound intriguing to me at all.
I probably won't be visiting the parks until late Jan or early Feb so I am looking to give try everything out then.

indiejones33
12-27-2018, 12:11 PM
Is this the same orange whip that WDW has? I have always wanted to try it, never been to WDW.
How are the bao's? I am a bao fan but have heard opinions all over the place on these.
I do love chicken/pork lumpia but desert lumpia doesn't really sound intriguing to me at all.
I probably won't be visiting the parks until late Jan or early Feb so I am looking to give try everything out then.

Hi Nick,

We tried both the orange and raspberry pineapple swirl whips and both were amazing! I liked the raspberry slightly more than the orange but the orange was good too (it tastes like an orange creamsicle)! Not sure if it is the same as the WDW version as I’ve not had it.

As far as the Baos go, we also tried all 3! All were very good but my absolute favorite was the chicken! The chicken filling was definitely Thai inspired. The veggie Bao was Indian inspired as it was curry flavored and the beef Bao was a Korean inspired flavor and my least favorite. Can’t wait to return to try the Ambush (which I hear bacon can be added for an additional $.99) and the lumpia!

Happy eating!

@disneylandnurse on Instagram

cstephens
12-29-2018, 12:16 AM

I loved the bao. The bread part is perfect - I took one bite, and I could have been in a Chinese restaurant having dim sum. My favorite was the chicken - terrific flavor. I liked the vegetarian one, which was curry flavored, and I also liked the beef one, which was bulgogi beef, though I would have liked it just a tiny bit sweeter, since I'm used to sweet bulgogi. You can get a rojo dipping sauce with any of the bao, and it's got a nice spicy kick to it. I liked it with the vegetarian and beef bao, but I wouldn't use it on the chicken one because it completely destroys the flavor of that.

Some people are raving about the pineapple/cream cheese lumpia. It didn't do anything for me.

The chilled ramen salad was pretty good too.