PDA

View Full Version : Can you stand one more question about crowds?

AllisinWunderland
03-23-2004, 08:11 AM
Sorry, folks. I did a search and didn't come up with information quite specific enough to help. I hope you don't mind one more question about crowd predictions.
We were in the park last week. As verified by this week's Disneyland Update, it was crowded. We are Annual Passholders from Arizona and we hope to get one more visit out of our passes before they expire in November, but wish to have a more pleasant experience. This past week, we were in Monday evening, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday and each day subsequent to Monday, we left the park by 1 PM and didn't return because it was just too congested for us.
OK, so here's the question, and before anybody reminds me, yes, I know it can vary significantly and it's just a prediction.
We are thinking of planning another trip for either a few weekdays in the third or fourth week of August before our daughter returns to school OR make a 3 day weekend in late September or early October. Does anybody care to speculate on which would be better? I'm crossing my fingers that most people with children are gearing up for the new school year by late August and that it would be less crowded than this past week, but would love the input of those in the know.
Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer! :)

EandCDad
03-23-2004, 09:29 AM
The third week in August is still a blockout for So. Cal. passes, indicating that Disney is still anticipating big crowds, so I would recommend the week of the 23rd if you go in August. I like weekdays, because they are usually a little less crowded than weekends, so I'd say during the week in August. Second choice is a weekend in October, but I would avoid October 11th, as that is Columbus Day, which isn't a huge holiday, but still might increase the crowds.

Don't forget to use attractions like the Animation Building, Muppets 3-D, and the factory tours at DCA and Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, Honey I Shrunk the Audience, and Winnie the Pooh in DL as good things to do when it gets crowded around the parks.

Cadaverous Pallor
03-23-2004, 09:32 AM
This is kind of a toughie. Weekday in late August or weekend in late September. Hmm.

I'd check the refurb schedule. Haunted Mansion should be down for conversion to HM Holiday in late Sept. I bet you anything they'll open that up on Friday, Oct. 1st. Stay away from that weekend, I know that I and a million other Mansion/Burton freaks will be there. :fez:

I think I'd go with the last weekend in Sept. if crowds were my biggest concern, but then again, you'll miss the Mansion, so it's a matter of priorities.

AllisinWunderland
03-23-2004, 12:21 PM
Thank you to both of your for your replies. I just learned that my daughter's school starts back on 8/23, so that does not allow us to attend that week. shucks!
I'll keep my options open for now.
Any thoughts on late summer crowd levels vs. spring break crowd levels?

Cadaverous Pallor
03-23-2004, 05:44 PM
Any thoughts on late summer crowd levels vs. spring break crowd levels?Hmm. It is seriously crowded already at the park, and most people aren't even on Spring Break yet. I'd say that you're probably looking at similar crowd levels for those two time periods. As a deciding factor you might want to consider weather, as well as refurbs, like I said before.

It's always a tough choice for non-locals. I hope it works out well for you! :)

typaula
03-23-2004, 06:33 PM
UHG!!! I can't believe the difference 3 years have made. We went during the same time in the past with no crowds, this year it was like summer. I love Disney (don't get me wrong) but with 3 little ones it just wasn't fun with so many people. We went 2 years ago right at the end of Aug. and it was just as bad as last week except it was 100 degrees! Not fun. Lots of shows. But I still cry of joy everytime I see my kids with Mickey and wave to everyone on the train when it goes by, and love that parade!!! :)

AllisinWunderland
03-24-2004, 10:19 AM
CP, thanks again for your advice and kind thoughts. The Mansion is definitely in my top 3 favorites, so probably don't want to miss that! BTW, love the screen name!
typaula, I heard from one person that everybody visiting last week was from AZ. I wonder if we all had spring break at the same time?
I remember visiting once during a non-holiday weekend in January, must have been about 3 years ago. There was a slight drizzle and the temperature was cool. It was as if we had the park to ourselves that day! Even the monorail driver commented to us that it was the lowest attendance day in about a year. That probably spoiled us forever.

Forbin
03-24-2004, 01:39 PM
Late Sept is the win, because School will have started.

DO NOT go early Sept late Aug because you will find the place at 110% capacity.