PDA

View Full Version : AP needs to to do better research

Darkbeer
03-22-2004, 09:35 PM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/8250624.htm

Disneyland Resort in Anaheim is opening a roller coaster that will race more than 45 mph inside a 183-feet-tall haunted hotel.

SAY WHAT!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

DisneyFan25863
03-22-2004, 09:37 PM
Cool! I can't wait! (ok, gotta use an icky smilie for this one) :rolleyes:

Kevy Baby
03-22-2004, 10:30 PM
Wow, 2 e-tickets in one year in Anaheim. This is gonna be cool. And some very fast construction

Ghoulish Delight
03-22-2004, 11:18 PM
This was the result of a poor sentence in another article. At the moment, I can't remember where it was, but it was about attractions coming to Southern California. Basically, they mentioned both Tower of Terror and The Mummy in the same sentence but sort of forgot a vital comma. It was a terrible sentence anyway, but without the comma, the "45 mph" bit applied to Tower of Terror. It was horrible. I believe it was in the LA Times, but I can't remember for sure. We were reading it at the Riverbelle on Sunday.

Ghoulish Delight
03-22-2004, 11:27 PM
Aha! Here's the original quote from the LA Times article. Can you believe the last sentence of this paragraph made it past an editor?!?

The region's amusement park industry, after suffering several years of declining attendance, is gearing up for the summer tourist season by opening new roller coaster attractions, some with elaborate special effects. Among the offerings: a jerky ride from atop a 183-foot-tall "haunted" hotel that will be the tallest structure at the Disneyland Resort and the fastest indoor roller coaster west of the Mississippi that zooms into total darkness at more than 45 mph.
Here's the link to the article http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-theme21mar21,1,5120919.story (site requires free registration to view articles)

Quinten27
03-23-2004, 10:40 AM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/business/8250624.htm

SAY WHAT!!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

Yeah, it'll go 45 mph.............strait down. I assume this "coaster" must be the ToT, since ToT does technically use tracks for part of the ride.......

Cancer Norm
03-23-2004, 10:51 AM
...I fell for it too, the first time I read it. We should have realized right away that they[disney, or anyone for that matter] could never build a coaster starting today and have it ready by the summer.

Quinten27
03-23-2004, 10:55 AM
I saw something else interesting in that arcticle..........

"Amusement parks generate $75 billion in sales statewide but only one park in Southern California - Disney's California Adventure - increased its attendance from 2002 to 2003, according to Amusement Business, a trade publication. Attendance there shot up 13 percent."

With everyone complaining about DCA, I thought I'd point out that (according to this arcticle) DCA is the only park with increased attendance. That must mean that DCA was the most successful park in CA last year right???

Let's all thank Eisner for giving us such a successful wonderful park!!!

It couldn't be because thier 2002 attendance total was like 100 people, which made it really easy to improve on ;)

Forbin
03-23-2004, 11:22 AM
Lol all they did was change ABC Soap Opera Theatre and made it into Playhouse Disney.

Now at least the little kids had somewhere to go..hehe

Total Park Attendance? 101 :)

kijay
03-23-2004, 08:15 PM
I wonder how many of that increase were actually full price paying customers? I'll bet that most were there on some kind of discount promotion, which is what Disney should have done all along with DCA. Treat it as an extension to Dland, not a stand alone full priced park. From the sound of all the crowd reports so far this year, it sounds like attendance is going to be up this year, especially with ToT opening.

NirvanaMan
03-23-2004, 08:48 PM
And people mocked me when I first pointed out the errors in that sentance...

Ghoulish Delight
03-24-2004, 09:03 AM
And people mocked me when I first pointed out the errors in that sentance...Not I. I said that they forgot a comma.