PDA

View Full Version : Tower of Terror, is it on hold?

Pages : [1] 2

Ralph Wiggum
10-16-2001, 09:57 PM
www.westcoaster.net claims that "Tower of Terror, Bugs Town, Winnie The Pooh and the plans for the 50th Anniversary of Disneyland" are still in the works and construction is still on. I don't know their sources but they have been right in the past. I am not saying Al is wrong and I am not saying Westcoaster is wrong but there is still hope. They also claim Blast has signed a contract already. Keep your fingers crossed. :)

http://www.westcoaster.net/update.php?id=1016014

Mr D
10-17-2001, 04:48 AM
I think Al is right and ToT will be put on hold, and I am beginning to think the suits and board are going to reconsider DCA, its effect upon DL and its liability plus the comparison of TDS and its apparent success, I would presume the DisCo will reshape DCA to mimic TDS in most areas as soon as possible.

DisneylandBoy
10-17-2001, 05:47 AM
I think it will be put on hold . .. but I don't think that is a smart idea. They need new rides in DCA ASAP, and the longer the wait . . . the lower the attendance will be.

coronamouseman
10-17-2001, 08:09 AM
TOT would definitely revive interest in DCA if the response here is anything like it was when it was built in Florida. Some items to ponder on it's potential for DCA:

1. Could establish DCA as the "thrill ride" park of the DLR - add one or two more "extreme" rides and teen entertainment and you might get the desired teenage crowd while the young kids and older adults hang out at DL.

2. Tie in special previews of the TOT when it is completed to the 2-park AP program - something like buy a 2-park AP anytime between now and preview opening date and get rides during previews before regular opening. Just another way to generate more revenue during these difficult times.

3. Would think that TOT would be relatively inexpensive to develop since they have already built one (although California requirements for earthquake safety probably more stringent than Florida).

zapppop
10-17-2001, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy
I think it will be put on hold . .. but I don't think that is a smart idea. They need new rides in DCA ASAP, and the longer the wait . . . the lower the attendance will be.

what he said

Morrigoon
10-17-2001, 03:11 PM
I have to agree... ToT *would* revive interest in the park, especially if they did it RIGHT. But that would require logic and long-term thinking, two things the Company doesn't seem to specialize in at the moment.

BiggJakeMoney
10-17-2001, 10:06 PM
Go check out the latest "Marcie's Corner," an article on Mouseinfo.com. She verbally bashes Al throughout the entire article for having wholly incorrect information regarding the attraction postponements.

I'm so confused, I don't know who to listen to anymore.....

-BJM

MickeyD
10-17-2001, 10:23 PM
Bigg Jake Money- Listen to them both. Both put things in their column that turn out to be true, and both have things in their column that don't turn out to be true, for whatever reason. And always remember that what they both write comes out of their own biases. (This is true for pretty much every person who has ever written anything.) And to be honest, Marcie would have a lot more credibilty to me if almost EVERY SINGLE THING she wrote didn't put down Al, or try to take away credibility from Al. (I've never heard of respecting the privacy of a COMPANY before, that was interesting.) So, read them both, believe or don't believe them both, and just wait and see.

Anyway, that's my .02 on the issue.

Morrigoon
10-17-2001, 10:49 PM
Listen to Marcie? Someone who won't even admit to being a man?

slaakker
10-18-2001, 05:23 AM
Hehe:D

space101
10-18-2001, 06:10 AM
There is nothing on hold. A Bugs Land and Tower of Terror are moving forward.

Ralph Wiggum
10-18-2001, 08:53 AM
I hope your right....I WANT TOT!!!

zapppop
10-18-2001, 09:17 AM
Maricie who?
Mouse what ?

The only 2 sources I trust for the latest disney news
are MousePlanet and Scott Jordan.

Anyway, I hope they construct BT and TOT soon.

BiggJakeMoney
10-18-2001, 10:17 AM
MARCIE IS A MAN?!?

That's just extremely creepy, there. How do ya'll know she's a man?

-BJM

Ralph Wiggum
10-18-2001, 10:43 AM
If Marcie is really Marcel or not shouldn't ruin her credibility. Many authors change their names. It's nothing new and doesnt mean they are liers. I too take both sources as rumors and tend to find a median with both. At one time both of them could have been right on all their issues. Who knows.

space101
10-19-2001, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
Maricie who?
Mouse what ?

The only 2 sources I trust for the latest disney news
are MousePlanet and Scott Jordan.

Anyway, I hope they construct BT and TOT soon.

You need to take a look at some of the other sites out there...

innerSpaceman
10-19-2001, 03:05 PM
Firstly, if Marcie is a man, that's a tiny bit beyond the pale of usual pen names, as it appears she/he would be trying to put on a less controversial false face if he is indeed a man (but what kind of man hiding behind a women's facade?) - stereotypical or not, women are probably assumed to be quote - nicer - unquote than men.

Ok, but back to the subject of this thread. Firstly, common sense will tell you (or at least it tells me, if I may be less presumptuous) that while ToT is drastically needed to help pull DCA out of its financial slump, that very financial slump will scare the suits from building the thing.

What's worse, rumour again has it that when we eventually get it, we are to get a scaled-down, back-seat version of the attraction. Boy am I getting tired of Anaheim getting the crumbs. It doesn't have to necessarily be bad, I suppose. After all, our scaled down Space Mountain, while VASTLY different from the original Florida version, is still a great ride and I will never be able to say that one is better than the other. Let's hope we do get the Tower and that, if different, it is at least not worse than the original.

DisneyFreak2000
10-19-2001, 04:13 PM
Is Bug Town going to be a new "land" or is it just going to be part of the BFV district?

Ralph Wiggum
10-23-2001, 09:29 PM
Well...westcoaster is claiming that Cynthia Harriss has confirmed Tower of Terror, Bugs Town, and Pooh on Cast TV at Disneyland

Read more at the bottom of this page:

http://www.westcoaster.net/update.php?id=1023015

Darkbeer
10-23-2001, 10:27 PM
Yes, and westcoaster.net is ALSO reporting that ToT Lite is what is be built!!! And Jim doesn't sound too happy, you really should go check out the latest update... and by the way, is the lak going to be "ugly" during the day before LuminAria????

space101
10-24-2001, 06:38 AM
I can assure you, TOT is not getting a cheap version...and who ever this Jim Disney is, he knows nothing about the project.

Ralph Wiggum
10-25-2001, 11:47 AM
How do you know this? PM me if you want :)

disneyhead
10-26-2001, 11:58 AM
From what I've heard, ToT will be a "New and Improved" version. They are removing the ride portion of the 5-D room. No lateral movement. The doors will open up and instead of the car leaving the shaft and driving down the hallway to the "Drop shaft", the doors will open, there will be some visual effects, and the door will close. Some have claimed that removing the lateral movement will improve the ride experience and was NOT a budget consideration. My take is that removing unique and popular show elements does prove Disney's current management's commitment, and it is not to show quality.

DisneyFreak2000
10-26-2001, 04:34 PM
I just found out from my friend that her father is the one who is designing (helping desiginng) Tower of Terror and she is going to tell me any "plans" they have for building it, and the deal with the 5-D. Her dad also desigined Soarin' Over California and right now they're dealing with some technical glitch the ride supposedly has, all tell you about that also. :D

coronamouseman
10-26-2001, 05:03 PM
Removing the lateral movement portion sounds like a design changed based upon simplification - no lateral movement means simply moving the cars up and down the shaft. Seems like one could easily put some fiber optic or other effects in a "floor" stop along the way to the top before the drop effects take place. Seems like it would also make elevator "cars" easier to maintain if they did not need to move horizontally.

On the minus side, will this diminish capacity as extra cars will no longer be moving through "5D" area? Will only the car in the shaft be used?

Sounds like it would be easier to build, easier to maintain but might have longer lines and a somewhat diminished experience .....

Hey, but with your Fastpass in hand who cares if the Standby line is 4 hours?