PDA

View Full Version : New Years: How bad does it get?

pisces
03-21-2004, 05:01 PM
Boss won't let me off of work the beginning of December, like I wanted. Grrrrrr.

So, I'm stuck with the week between Christmas and New Years, for now. I'm to check back with Boss in July.

Here's my questions:

1. How soon will Disneyland, CA sell out for New Years week/eve (Dec 28th-Jan 2)? Is July too late to book for New Years week at the Grand Californian?

2. I understand this past New Years Eve, the Park was filled to capacity, and they stopped letting visitors in. When this happens, and they have to stop admitting; are hotel guests still let in?

3. Let's say they close the park for capacity, and I'd already been admitted early that morning, but simply went back to the Hotel room for a nap; would I be let back in?

4. Where is the site to book for the AAA enhanced fastpasses? I didn't see anything on AAA's own site. Do I need to book with them over the phone?

Comment: I know everybody talks about rain thinning the crowds, but it must not apply to New Years Eve, because we had rain this past New Years, but it didn't seem to make a dent in the crowds, then, from what I've read!

Bruce Bergman
03-21-2004, 05:51 PM
Boss won't let me off of work the beginning of December, like I wanted. Grrrrrr.

So, I'm stuck with the week between Christmas and New Years, for now. I'm to check back with Boss in July.

Here's my questions:

1. How soon will Disneyland, CA sell out for New Years week/eve (Dec 28th-Jan 2)? Is July too late to book for New Years week at the Grand Californian?

You can book hotel rooms into the fall, but as it gets closer the good deals and close-in rooms within walking distance will dry up. You could try for a reservation only a few days ahead, but you might be staying several miles away, and paying Full Rack Rate. :~D

And you have a lot of choices, there are the DLR Hotels that are nice, but expensive. Or the local places that cover the range from Luxury to "4 walls, a bed and a bathroom for cheap - and it shows" :eek:

2. I understand this past New Years Eve, the Park was filled to capacity, and they stopped letting visitors in. When this happens, and they have to stop admitting; are hotel guests still let in?

Someone fully explained the DL stages of "Closed" a while back, but as I understand it the first stop selling one day tickets (to steer people towards DCA), then they stop admitting one day tickets, then Passholders & multi-day tickets, then DLR Hotel guests last. If it gets that bad, they will allow more people to trickle in at the same rate they are exiting.

3. Let's say they close the park for capacity, and I'd already been admitted early that morning, but simply went back to the Hotel room for a nap; would I be let back in?

If you have a hand-stamp or your ticket shows (in the computer) as having been inside the park already, you will be among the first batch eligible for re-entry as soon as a few people leave. The DLR Hotels might get a little more priority on that list, but I think it's open to a bit of interpretation by the entry gate CM's.

Basically, when the Fire Department says the park has reached the point where it is too crowded for public safety, the entry gates are closed - period. That point has historically been set somewhere above 80,000.

And there are people leaving all evening - From seeing all the Band jackets there are a lot of out-of-town visitors who are also participants in the Rose Parade (and their parents) who have to leave around dark (Bed checks are done - not back, not marching), and another batch who leave a little later because they want a few hours sleep before they drive to Pasadena to watch it.

4. Where is the site to book for the AAA enhanced fastpasses? I didn't see anything on AAA's own site. Do I need to book with them over the phone?

Dunno, sorry... :confused: Call or go into your local AAA affiliated auto club for the details.

Comment: I know everybody talks about rain thinning the crowds, but it must not apply to New Years Eve, because we had rain this past New Years, but it didn't seem to make a dent in the crowds, then, from what I've read!

It did - it was crowded this year, but noticeably not quite as bad as usual.

:fez: --<< Bruce >>--

BornieoTheLoveBug
03-21-2004, 11:21 PM
THis past year was my first New Years eve at the park and I had a blast. I ended up right in front of the castle without even trying. The park was packed but nothing beyond the busy summer days.

I don't see how I could miss another!

CoasterMatt
03-22-2004, 06:39 AM
THis past year was my first New Years eve at the park and I had a blast. I ended up right in front of the castle without even trying. The park was packed but nothing beyond the busy summer days.

I don't see how I could miss another!
At least this year won't have that awful Groove 66 - I just hope they get somebody else to host (at the Hub, anyway); it was a fun NYE as always, but it's sad when you can FEEL the mood/energy/whatever drop whenever the host/Groove 66 started up.