PDA

View Full Version : Kudos for DCA

Pages : [1] 2

Disneylove
10-16-2001, 09:02 PM
After participating in the "DCA - why did they build it?" thread, I am growing weary of the back-and-forth discussion about its pros and cons. And although this may be a short little thread, I am taking a cue from DisneylandKid (who started the "what do you love about DL" thread) and just wanted to ask -- What do you LIKE/LOVE about DCA?

Compliments only please, if you want to complain, head over to the "DCA - Why did they build it" thread please...

My faves are Soarin', California Screamin' (which I got to ride 7x in a row on opening weekend - whoo hoo!), Animation Gallery (I could sit and watch those screens for hours), Maliboomer (whoosh!), Eureka parade, bleu cheese burgers at Taste Pilot's Grill, spinach salad, salmon and creme brulee at Soap Opera Bistro, and the pork nachos at Cocina Cucamonga.

Also I love Golden Dreams -- have you heard the song? How appropriate would that be for a montage of the heroism displayed after the 9-11-01 terrorist attack. If you haven't yet, check out the lyrics to the song... maybe Disney will do some sort of tribute to the heros and innocents lost in the tragedy.

Let's hear it for DCA!:p

Ralph Wiggum
10-16-2001, 09:19 PM
I love that mountain area with the rafts and the trail thingy, the aviation area...the pier thing with the rollercoaster and the wheel-thinga-ma-bob...the look into the life of a bug.....the free tortilla(they let you have two halves if you ask)...the game show and the room with all the disney movies on the screens...the parade with the christmas lights everywhere....and the wine

DisneylandBoy
10-17-2001, 05:45 AM
California' Screamin is one of my favorite rollercoasters! I love Maliboomer (it;s better than Supreme Scream). I love the animation gallery and I LOVE the Soap Opera Bistro. It is SOOOO cool!

mad4mky
10-17-2001, 08:05 AM
I really enjoyed the animation gallery. I sat there one time, through the whole loop. I was teary eyed through the whole thing. I think it was done very well.

Mouse
10-17-2001, 08:38 AM
I love the Animation building as well especially the room by the “Drawn to Animation” exit where they have the early concepts of a number of Disney’s animation side kicks. And it is very cool to watch the screens change in time to some great Disney music.

Soarin’ is a great ride (especially when the line is 20- minutes). Grizzly Rapids is perfect for those hot summer (and fall) days. And those random character shows up and down the park always draw my attention. California Screaming is probably my favorite roller coaster on the planet. It blends just the right amount of drops and twists with the perfect amount of time to catch your breath after screaming.

Ghoulish Delight
10-17-2001, 08:53 AM
I love all of the Hollywood Pictures area, minus Superlame Limo and Waste of Time. I especially love Muppets 3D. The preshow video makes me laugh every time, especially the chickens crossing the road bit. "Aaaaah, that's fUnny!!" I love walking into the theater and hearing everyone between my age (early/mid 20's) and boomer age saying, "Oh my god, we're in the Muppet Theater!!"

I LOVE Mullholand Madness. When we went on the AP preview day, it was closed. We looked at it and were not too disappointed that it was closed. Didn't look like much. Finally, on like our fourth trip we went on. FUN! I was truly frightened of those turns. And that sudden drop is a thrill every time.

The Sun Wheel, the swinging cars of course. The Orange Stinger (though not as much sans bee butts). Grizzly Rapids. The full meal at Mondavi. Tortillas. The look of Paradise Pier. The fact that kids show up in swimming suits to get wet in the Bountiful Valley Farm area.

Okay, that's enough for now. I gotta try me one of those bleau cheese burgers.

bluepearl
10-17-2001, 10:17 AM
At first, I didn't like Soarin' Over California (I think I had some height issues), but now it's one of my favourite rides there, along with Grizzly River Run.

The Animation Building is also a great place to go for me - I love the screens all around inside, and Drawn to Animation is a good stop (not to mention certain hosts for the show are really good).

But I have to say that my favourite thing about DCA is the Road Trip. There's a certain band that I follow there - they put on a good show. I only wish that they'd list the times in the guidemaps again!

innerSpaceman
10-17-2001, 11:43 AM
Ok, yes there are good things about DCA!!!

Soarin' is amazing. A truly transcendent experience that I want to do over and over.

The main lobby of the Animation building is a thrill for all lovers of the Disney classics.

The mountain area around Grizzy Rapids is imagineering of the highest quality, best example of it in the park.

And a couple of glasses of wine at Mondavi make the rest of the park pretty good, too. ;)

Cadaverous Pallor
10-17-2001, 03:40 PM
The Animation building! I always forget to mention that one. Super, super cool.

Muppet theater. People in their twenties and thirties telling their kids "a long time ago, there was a TV show...." Happily, one of the last things Henson did was something this great, a lasting tribute to the Muppets.

The Eureka parade is GREAT. Fun, colorful, good music.

Maliboomer is fun every time, especially if you go on it right when the Electrical Parade is making it's way down the road. I actually got to say "I can see the entire parade at once!"

The continuous wave in the hub area. I can watch that thing for hours.

There's more, and you guys have covered most of it. I'm sure in the years to come there'll be the little things - the out of the way bench, the certain snack you get every time you go, etc, just like we all have for DCA's big cousin across the way.

Wow, this positivity has helped my outlook a lot! Thanks, Disneylove! :D

marron-cream
10-17-2001, 05:36 PM
I like the corn dogs at the corn dog place and the Malibu Mocha drink (without the Mocha!) from the bakery at the entrance. I hate coffee and that's the only place in the resort I can get a fancy coffee drink without the coffee. :D

DisneylandKid
10-17-2001, 06:43 PM
Great thread, Disneylove. Whoever you got the idea from must be really intelligent. Oh wait, that was me. HA. Anyway, I really like DCA: Hollywood & GRR/Soarin' area especially.

Briarose710
10-17-2001, 09:19 PM
I love the hollywood area , the chance to shine show and muppets! the animation pavilion rocks!
I love Griizzly River run and Soarin
the theming of the peak rec area .
I hate coasters but i love screamin.
I love the ELP and I also love seeing Paradise pier at night.
eating at taste pilots is fun also.
I love when Road trip is featuring the band (party central cause the front guy for it is Drew and he's Geogeous!!! (sp?) he hasnt been around for awhile and i miss him!)
oh and those Stores CM's ,,are so great..(whoops that's me , shamless plug sorry)
I love this post guys it makes me feel like some people actually like the place i've grown to love to work in. and theres so much negativity out there about DCA I'm glad to hear some positive things!

bluepearl
10-17-2001, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by Briarose710
I love when Road trip is featuring the band (party central cause the front guy for it is Drew and he's Geogeous!!! (sp?) he hasnt been around for awhile and i miss him!)

Hey Bria! I love Party Central, too! I have a website on them, it's at http://blue-pearl.com/pc. I'll PM you if you want to talk PC! :p

Disneylove
10-17-2001, 11:30 PM
I just knew there were people out there that liked DCA! After hearing all the complaining on the other thread I was beginning to wonder... but I agree with Cadaverous Pallor and Briarose -- it's so encouraging to see all the positive comments about DCA!

And Ghoulish Delight -- yes, you HAVE to try a blue cheese burger at TPG! (if you like blue cheese) They are so rich and yummy!

Keep it going! Thanks for all your responses! This is great! :D

hbquikcomjamesl
10-18-2001, 12:04 PM
Soarin', Animation, Millionaire, Golden Dreams, and the chance to see The Parade again are nearly worth the price of admission without anything else.

While there seem to be a lot of people (probably Rosie-haters) who insist on lumping Boudin with the Tortilla Disaster, I think it's wonderful, and better than some of the Epcot exhibits. That doesn't mean it couldn't be improved; I think perhaps an animatronic Rosie, or an animated cutaway scale model of the bakery, or expanding the menu at the bakery (to include made-to-order sandwiches, for example) all have some potential.

Now that Waste of Time is finally gone, they've got a truly beautiful theatre waiting for a show that's truly worthy of it.

Napsto
10-18-2001, 12:25 PM
soaring, screamin, maliboomer ( i remember the first time i went on that, what a rush!), grizzly river run, that whole area actually, walking aorund hollywood, limo is just plain amuzing, i like walking aorund dca checking everything out because there is so much to abosorb!

BTT
10-18-2001, 03:09 PM
Well...gee...my favorite attraction at DCA is, well, Who Wants to be a Millionaire? Play It....just kind of sticks out at me for some reason. :-P

Soarin' and Screamin' are real high on my list.

Ben

MickeyD
10-18-2001, 03:18 PM
The Clam Chowder from the Pacific Wharf Cafe in the bread bowl is hands down the best I have ever had. (Yes, it's better than it is across the way.)

mspangler
10-18-2001, 06:07 PM
All I can say is "Jeez, 'bout time."

Some POSITIVE things about DCA.

As I said in DLKid's thread, I love everything about the Resort and that includes DCA. Whether or not they add more "E tickets", I'm happy with it.

Nigel2
10-18-2001, 10:42 PM
Heck millionare can make it worth the price of admission the total prizes at 16k total at approx 104 dollars, much more than the price of admition.

stan4d_steph
10-19-2001, 08:13 AM
Originally posted by MickeyD
The Clam Chowder from the Pacific Wharf Cafe in the bread bowl is hands down the best I have ever had. (Yes, it's better than it is across the way.)

Boudin ("Say Bo-deen" :)) has the best sourdough, hands down. I was so excited when I found the first cafe down here after living in the SF Bay Area. Every time my mom comes to visit she tries to take home as many loaves as possible. Their bread bowl chowder is really good, I just haven't been at DCA when it's been cold enough to eat it.

I like the bakery tour and enjoy the film's humor. The cartoony bits remind me of Monty Python cartoons. Too bad they weren't baking when I took my mom through the bread tour. I think it was too late in the day. We really enjoyed our meal at Mondavi on the terrace. I hope this stays as it was a great way to sit and relax. I recommend the Barbera if you like red wine.

Disneylove
10-19-2001, 02:33 PM
MickeyD -- here's a suggestion next time you get the clam chowder in the bread bowl at Pacific Wharf -- ask to get the soup on the side (not in the bowl) and the bread bowl separate -- you'll get more soup that way, and you can still pour it into the bread bowl to eat.

Just a tip... I think when they put it in a separate container you end up with more soup.

Enjoy!:D

MickeyD
10-19-2001, 10:12 PM
Thanks for the tip Disneylove, I will definitely ask for the soup on the side next time! :D

Horace Horsecollar
10-20-2001, 11:59 AM
I visited DCA for the first time on October 10 and was pleasantly surprised. I liked the place, even though nearly everything I'd read online said I should despise it.

Excellent attractions: Soarin' Over California (best overall in the park), Grizzly River Rapids (a worthy addition to Disney's mountain range--it really dominates the skyline of DCA), Disney Animation (an improvement over the more-staid tour at Disney-MGM), It's Tough to Be a Bug (again, better than anticipated)

Good attractions: Mullholland Madness (guess I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed this "wild mouse"), Who Wants to Be a Millionaire--Play It (I'm not a big fan of the show, but still enjoyed playing the game); California Screamin' (fun, but not too intense); the singers at Condor Flats

Best food: the clam chowder at the Pacific Wharf Cafe (I'll remember that little trick about asking for the chowder on the side next time)

Lacrosse Boy
10-20-2001, 01:09 PM
dude, you guys posted the clam chowder tip for everybody to see, now they will know and stop that practice!