PDA

View Full Version : Crowds during TOT opening week

missuniverse78
03-19-2004, 11:01 AM
A group of us are planning a trip to the resort in early may and we were wondering if we could ask you guys a couple of quick questions on what to expect crowd wise. How busy do you think DCA will be the week of the TOT opening? What about DL, will it be just as busy as DCA that week? Thanks.

PS, does mother's day have a big effect on the number of people going to the parks? Thanks again!!:)

sediment
03-19-2004, 11:11 AM
My predictions:
1. Big for ToT. AP holders will be there in force.
2. Mother's Day, I've heard, is usually quite busy.

shawnarae
03-19-2004, 11:15 AM
What about the weekdays the week TOT opens? I was thinking about going Weds-Saturday that week, making Thursday and Friday all day Disney fun.

kijay
03-19-2004, 11:44 AM
I would imagine crowds will be pretty heavy for this for some time. But it has been so long since any major E-ticket opened, who really knows how the crowds will respond. I think the prediction for a heavy turnout of AP'ers is dead on. Personally, I am waiting until Oct. or Nov. to go, one to let the crowds die down some, and I also want to wait for Universal to open the Mummy Coaster (Sorry Disney, but the video for that ride looks incredible)

Icy Bacon
03-20-2004, 10:20 AM
I'm thinking the fastpasses are going to run out blindingly fast... ironically, I'm always turned off at how crowded DCA is, it's such a low-capacity park that lines get outrageous. Of course, I've only been during peak times, but still, I wish they'd throw in some super-capacity ride to soak up guests.

THE REF
03-20-2004, 10:58 AM
Since someone mentioned Mothers Day, How are the crowds on Fathers Day?

EandCDad
03-20-2004, 11:14 AM
I had to look up when Father's Day is. It's June 20th, which is a weekend in the Summer, so the crowds will be big.

Disneyfreak
03-20-2004, 07:27 PM
Expect lines to be 2-3 hours for tot on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. (Have fun!):D This is information based on Indiana Jones when it opened in 1995 and that was when annual passholders were not in the millions.:D Just imagine both parks capacity are going to want to go on that one ride and thats what you will get.

DisneyFan25863
03-20-2004, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
Expect lines to be 2-3 hours for tot on weekdays and 4-5 hours on weekends. (Have fun!):D This is information based on Indiana Jones when it opened in 1995 and that was when annual passholders were not in the millions.:D Just imagine both parks capacity are going to want to go on that one ride and thats what you will get.

Just because one ride got all those people flocking to it dosn't mean every Disney attraction will. Think Pooh. I didn't see thousands waiting in line for it. I think that TOT will be more like 2 hours on weekends and 1 hour on weekdays...

MonorailMan
03-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Think Pooh.

Dark Ride vs. Thrill Ride, that's acclaimed for over in WDW? 1 hour wait? Yea right! :)

DisneyFan25863
03-20-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan
Dark Ride vs. Thrill Ride, that's acclaimed for over in WDW? 1 hour wait? Yea right! :)

I don't think the opening of one ride will affect the otherwise slow attendence of DCA, unless AP's flock like there is no tomorrow when it opens.

Disneyfreak
03-20-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by DisneyFan25863
Just because one ride got all those people flocking to it dosn't mean every Disney attraction will. Think Pooh. I didn't see thousands waiting in line for it. I think that TOT will be more like 2 hours on weekends and 1 hour on weekdays...

Then you obviously didn't ride Indy the first month it opened. Plus tot will overall increase attendance which will = more people on all rides. I am not over exadurating on the wait times. I literally stood in line for 5 hours for Indy.

missuniverse78
03-21-2004, 12:29 AM
Another quick question,
will the blue bayou restaurant be open during the potc shutdown in may? Thanks again!!!

jazzjunkie
03-21-2004, 12:42 AM
WIll there be a single-rider line?

DCAWhites
03-21-2004, 10:35 PM
^Good question which I haven't heard the answer to yet. Anyone know?

As for the crowds when ToT opens, DCA has been pretty busy recently compared to opening year, and with Tower of Terror opening it should become a full day park. I'd say waits will get to 3 hours for the initial year, then go down to about 90 minutes- 120 minutes on the busier days after the initial hype with the AP holders and media reduces. Soarin' usually pulls in 100 minute waits on DCA's busier days, but that has a low capacity (1100-1200) compared to both tower of terrors (1500 or so) and Grizzly river run (about 1800, but it can pull in 3 hour waits). I wonder if they'll be having any 2fer when tower of terror first opens/

nursemelis374
03-22-2004, 08:08 AM
I went to Indy 2 and 4 days after it opened. Both times the line was well out into Main Street and we never waited more then 2 hrs, unless it broke down which it did all the time when it first opened! Due to the nature of that ride, te line moves quickly. I do imagine that with FastPass the stand-by line will be longer for TOT. I do not see 5 hrs though, simply because most people would not wait that long in line, even most APs would rather wait. The regular visitor is not going to want to waste half their day in line if the lines are truly that long.

tod
03-22-2004, 08:36 AM
Another quick question,
will the blue bayou restaurant be open during the potc shutdown in may? Thanks again!!!

As a rule, no. When Pirates is being rehabbed, they usually take the opportunity to spiff up the Blue Bayou as well.

Besides, bright worklights and workers in coveralls walking around in a drained lagoon diminishes the illusion somewhat...

--t

imagineerhopeful
03-22-2004, 08:49 AM
WIll there be a single-rider line?

It would make sense to have one. From what I have heard, the full load of one vehicle is 21..? Having that kind of odd number usually makes for an empty seat (I.E. New Splash logs, Soarin, etc..)

Lekta
03-22-2004, 09:24 AM
Not to get off topic here, but, does anyone know the dates that PoC will be down in May? It is bad enough that my wife won't be able to ride her favorite ride SM, but PoC would be too much.....

Slate
03-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Not to get off topic here, but, does anyone know the dates that PoC will be down in May? It is bad enough that my wife won't be able to ride her favorite ride SM, but PoC would be too much.....

Pirates finishes refurb on May 8th. Everything should be open even Indy.
Also SSL may open on the 19th.

I will be there that week. Should not be too crowded since its after the TOT opening and before Schools Out.