PDA

View Full Version : Calling for rain

Pages : [1] 2

rentayenta
03-19-2004, 08:51 AM
I haven't lived in So Cal for about 10 years. I have been checking the weather forecast daily. We are going to be in So Cal next weekend and they are calling for rain. I am not going to be a happy mouseketeer if it rains during our vacay. DL in the rain, any silver lining to this?

justagrrl
03-19-2004, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by rentayenta
DL in the rain, any silver lining to this?

If it's raining in the morning the park will probably be less crowded for the entire day.

sediment
03-19-2004, 08:59 AM
1. Fewer people, for starters.
2. You don't have to worry about getting wet on Splash or Grizzly.
3. Sometimes the weather report is inaccurate, especially eight days out.
4. You own a raincoat, while most of us don't.

rentayenta
03-19-2004, 09:01 AM
I am still a SO Cal girl at heart and don't own a raincoat ;)

I just don't remember if it usually rains all day there.

Do they close certain rides if it's raining?

HBTiggerFan
03-19-2004, 09:13 AM
Alice in Wonderland is closed if it rains. Something else is too, I forget though.

Last time they called for rain more than 3 days in advance it was 90 for 4 days straight. So don't panic....yet ;)

If it rains the parks will be less crowded. The best thing I can suggest for you, if it rains, don't worry about staying dry, enjoy the rain, spashing in the puddles, the stuff you did as a kid. It's a lot more fun that way.

Pick up some ponchos at Target before you go, and bring a windbreaker of some sort (they are typically water resistant).

sediment
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
The only thing you have to worry about is the poor drainage in a heavy storm. Boots (functional ones) will solve that.
95% of the rides are indoors. This isn't SFMM, after all.

Usually the clouds will burst wide open. This isn't Seattle, where it rains twice a year, for six months each.

rentayenta
03-19-2004, 09:16 AM
Thanks Tigger. I'm sure the rain won't dampen the kids' fun any.

I bet they will get more time with the characters too.

rentayenta
03-19-2004, 09:18 AM
I'm feeling better already. Thanks sediment.

I'm in Utah and want some good old Cali sunshine.

Andrew
03-19-2004, 09:19 AM
Just a note to remind everyone that MouseAdventure is a "rain or shine" event--so watch those forecasts and dress appropriately.

Though it hasn't rained on us yet...

LegolandMC
03-19-2004, 09:23 AM
I pray for rain when I go for more than just a few hours....it keeps people away!

mamabot
03-19-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
Just a note to remind everyone that MouseAdventure is a "rain or shine" event--so watch those forecasts and dress appropriately.

Though it hasn't rained on us yet...

Maybe we will have the same luck as the Rose Parade with keeping the rain away?

Morrigoon
03-19-2004, 09:54 AM
As I recall it usually ends up being super-dehydrating hot on MA. Rain might make a nice change ;)

rentayenta
03-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Please , no prayer chains or asking Mother Nature for anything but sunshine :p

Ghoulish Delight
03-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Andrew

Though it hasn't rained on us yet... Good point, that is MouseAdventure weekend. rentayenta, ignore the weather reports. It will be blazing hot, and quite possibly humid.

Not Afraid
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Good point, that is MouseAdventure weekend. rentayenta, ignore the weather reports. It will be blazing hot, and quite possibly humid.

NO. It will NOT be hot and humid. I already requested the weather. I was first!:p

EandCDad
03-19-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by HB Tigger Fan
Alice in Wonderland is closed if it rains. Something else is too, I forget though.

The teacups.

kijay
03-19-2004, 11:31 AM
They might be afraid the teacups will rust shut. You know they'd never want those teacups to slow down any would they?:rolleyes:

rentayenta
03-19-2004, 01:33 PM
Prayer chains for sunshine - good.

I will look for you MA folks.

EandCDad
03-20-2004, 07:51 AM
The current report is that it will be partly cloudy with a 20% chance of rain (that's a pretty low chance, I mean, it almost never rains when it says 20%.) That said, weather reports in Southern California that are more than 2 days out are fairly unreliable. Just prepare something for the rain (ponchos) and hope you don't have to use them, but it will probably help with the crowds, so focus on that.

NirvanaMan
03-20-2004, 07:57 AM
No need to waste time showering in the morning....

Disneyfreak
03-20-2004, 08:44 PM
As you can tell we are hardcore Disneyland fans, we will go in a hurricane if we have to.:)
But they are right that there will be less crowds if it is raining almost to the point you will have the park to yourself.:)

rentayenta
03-21-2004, 05:35 AM
Last time we went in the rain it was in Feb. a few years ago. I think the rain would be fine if we didn't have to deal with wet kids.

I check the weather daily and now *they* are calling for partly cloudy. It's looking better all time.

For some strange reason, crowds have never bothered me. I'd rather have crowds and sunshine.

rentayenta
03-21-2004, 05:51 AM
:rolleyes: nevermind on the partly cloudy. Now they are calling for scattered thunderstorms.

How will I be able to identify the Mouse Adventure folks?

b52hbuff
03-21-2004, 07:04 AM
The typical closed ride list: Alice, BTM, Teacups.

Things you probably don't want to ride in heavy rain:
Astro Orbiters, Dumbo, Storybook & Casey Jr (unless you ride
in a cage)...

Other suprise is that you can get pretty wet on iasw while you
wait to unload the boat.

adriennek
03-21-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by rentayenta
How will I be able to identify the Mouse Adventure folks?

Look for:

Groups of 2-4 people clustered together
Carrying at least one clipboard
With stickers on their upper-arms with team numbers on them
Possibly dressed alike
Possibly dressed a little oddly
And if you try to talk to them, they may look at you and say: Sorry, contest, can't talk right now and brush you off (they're not being rude, I promise!)

Staff Members are harder to identify roaming the park but at least a couple of us will be sitting at a table with shade somewhere towards the center of the park (usually Carnation Plaza Gardens just next to the castle, but I can't promise anything, I'm not in charge,) with stacks of folders and other office supplies.

Click here (http://www.mouseplanet.com/mouseadventure/) for photos from previous events.

Click here (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?threadid=25045) for a thread that lists the MousePadders who will be participating and have admitted it ;) Look towards the end of the thread for the most extensive and current list.

Adrienne