PDA

View Full Version : Bomb squad summoned to Disneyland!

justagrrl
03-19-2004, 08:48 AM
ANAHEIM – The Orange County Sheriff’s bomb squad responded this morning to a report of a suspicious package found by a landscaper at Disneyland, police said.

Sgt. Ken Seymour said the package was located at the bottom of a stairway in a bathroom area near the Autopia ride.

...."It looks like they probably cordoned off a section just around the (suspected) bomb is all," Seymour said. "They haven’t evacuated the park."

According to Disneyland’s Web site, the park was to open at 9 a.m.

http://www2.ocregister.com/ocrweb/ocr/article.do?id=86381&section=BREAKING_NEWS&subsection=BREAKING_NEWS&year=2004&month=3&day=19

justagrrl
03-19-2004, 09:06 AM
The article was just edited to add:

"the incident turned out to be a false alarm, police said."

Demigod121
03-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Actually, a suspicious package report is quite common at DL.

Bomb Squad, thought, is not.

Hmm.

-Demigod

Opus1guy
03-19-2004, 10:28 AM
Read this thread title and thought they might have had a screening of "Squanto" at the Lincoln Theater. ;)

Just kidding. Glad it turned out to be nothing.

justagrrl
03-19-2004, 11:30 AM
The incident did not delay Disneyland's scheduled 9 a.m. opening, but patrons were unable to visit such Tomorrowland attractions as Club Buzz, Innoventions and Starcade until 9:30 a.m

Isn't it sad that they can hardly find a ride that "patrons were unable to visit". :crying:

kijay
03-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Would anyone be able to tell the difference when Tommorwland is closed or opened? :D

ToursbabeC3po
03-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Hmmmm. It is funny everyone is making a big deal about this because it happens daily now because of increased security measures that begain over a year ago. I wonder why this one was so unique.

ToursbabeC3po
03-19-2004, 11:59 AM
kijay Would anyone be able to tell the difference when Tommorwland is closed or opened?
LOLOLOLOL
You mean Yesterdayland..... Hey we only have.....Hmmmm......14 more months until tomorrowland "Reopens"
You would never know that Tomorrowland had a makeover a few years ago :eek:

Thomas
03-19-2004, 12:04 PM
But if the bag checks are so successful, then this should not have been a suspicious package. Someone must have missed a bag or something at the entrance.

cstephens
03-19-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by Thomas
But if the bag checks are so successful, then this should not have been a suspicious package. Someone must have missed a bag or something at the entrance.

I would expect that any package left by itself would be considered "suspicious". And while I think the bag checks do serve a purpose, no, they're not going to catch everything. Unless they use metal detectors and full searches, they won't have a prayer to catch everything.

Are CMs' checked when they enter the premises? I can think of a number of other ways that something could be brought into the park.

stitchfan_cm
03-19-2004, 04:14 PM
Are CMs' checked when they enter the premises? I can think of a number of other ways that something could be brought into the park.

To answer your question, yes. At Harbor Pointe ALL castmembers are check out. There are security guards there to look though ALL bags. Or at least they were during my orientation.

We also had bag checks before we were allowed to enter the TDA(Team Disney Anaheim) building. And if you forgot, or overlooked the security guards, they made sure to get your attention.

Castmembers go through the same checking processes as the rest of the guests(and I feel that CM's get checked more thorough than regular guests)

zapppop
03-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by justagrrl
The article was just edited to add:

"the incident turned out to be a false alarm, police said."

They should've sent them across the esplanade ;)

PhilMP
03-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Okay, CM, as well as Guest, bag checks, are a joke. Seriously, you open you bag and the Security/Main Gate (depending on whether you're CM or Guest) barely even looks through. Not going against any supposed incompetence between both departments, but I feel that bag checks might as well not even be there, they're so ineffective.

Especially at Harbor Pointe, where during the busiest time of the day there are groups of 20+ CMs going through, with one Security CM attempting to check faces against ID pictures, direct people to phones because they forgot their ID and need to be cleared, and check bags. The bag check points at the Esplanade are just as busy.

Phil

Polar33
03-19-2004, 09:09 PM
It appears that the supposed bomb was actually a Geocache.

For those who are not aware, Geocaching is more or less a high-tech game of hide and seek using GPS devices. Read the FAQ (http://www.geocaching.com/faq/) at the Geocaching website for more details.

The cache in question apears to have been this one (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=12efd5f6-c97a-400b-9143-eb94bb2b17aa). It was located exactly where the bomb scare occured, and the logged visits include a message to contact an APD officer.

Yah, technically nothing's "official"...but I think the evidence points straight at it.

Originally witten by the OCRegister
[B]The incident did not delay Disneyland's scheduled 9 a.m. opening, but patrons were unable to visit such Tomorrowland attractions as Club Buzz, Innoventions and Starcade until 9:30 a.m.
Such Tomorrowland attractions as Club Buzz, Innoventions, and Starcade? I know that Tomorrowland is hard up for attractions...but why pick the worst possible examples? Heck...one isn't even an attraction and the other two could easily be disputed as well.

zapppop
03-19-2004, 09:36 PM
Probably to emphasize how bad Tomorrowland is as a way to put pressure on TDA to revamp the land ( I would assume ). Yeah, I agree; those are horrid examples of an attraction.

Kevy Baby
03-20-2004, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Polar33
The cache in question apears to have been this one (http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=12efd5f6-c97a-400b-9143-eb94bb2b17aa). It was located exactly where the bomb scare occured, and the logged visits include a message to contact an APD officer.Just a quick FYI: they have removed the site that you were linking to (or you need password access for it). Thanks for posting it anyway!

Polar33
03-20-2004, 01:17 PM
Yep...it's been archived. Essentially meaning that the cache its self is no longer in existance. It's still available to read if anyone wishes to create an account to do so.

Basically, it was a toy cell phone that was placed in the area for people to find. The insides were removed so that people could place small trinkets in it for others to find. There are photos and descriptions there, as well as coordinates, that place this cache in the area.

RStar
03-20-2004, 09:09 PM
Sounds like fun, but I have to wonder if leaving suspisious packages around in places that are under security like DL, airports, bridges would be such a good idea?

Thomas
03-20-2004, 09:14 PM
What is suspicious about a cell phone. If you have one, should we have the bomb squad follow u around?

DisneyFan25863
03-20-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Thomas
What is suspicious about a cell phone. If you have one, should we have the bomb squad follow u around?

Well, it was left next to a pole, in a hidden place. It probably looked a bit suspicious.

Polar33
03-21-2004, 01:45 AM
From the details I've been able to put together the toy phone was stuck to the bottom side of the stairs by the Hatmosphere restrooms by the use of magnets. That's what raised a red flag since that would definately not be something that would happen by accident.