PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations at Grand Californian

kittycat
03-19-2004, 04:14 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on room requests at Grand Californian? This would be for a standard room rate, and we have a 3 year old (so the less noise, the better).

Thanks!

Boingonut
03-19-2004, 05:03 AM
In my experience (I've stayed there 3 times for about 4 nights each time in the last year!:D) is make sure you stay away from the side of the hotel that faces Downtown Disney. They have live bands there that sometimes play past 10oclock and the rooms are not soundproof, and even when the bands are not playing down there you can still hear the loud music piped all trough DD. The best standerd rooms are faceing either Disney Way, or the courtyard, but if you get a cortyard room you can sometimes still hear all the music from DD, it just depends on where the room is if it is farther back or closer to DD, but you can see the monorail go by if you stay in a room by the courtyard which is cool. I have never stayed on the side that faces DCA, but I have heard that it is quiet enough. Also try to get a room as close to the main elevators or stairs as posable, some of the halls in GCH can go on for what seems like miles. Good Luck! ;)

tjrj
03-19-2004, 05:54 AM
We found the courtyard facing rooms very quiet-with the added benefit of the monorail going by.

Couple of things:

1. My boys loved the bunk beds-you can request a room with them at no additional charge.
2. Oldest loved the sleeping bag that comes in the room. He slept on the balcony a couple of nights. He was older than your son though. But your son still might enjoy the "camp out" feel on the floor.
3. The room fridge can be an issue. Even if nothing is taken from the fridge, you will still be charged for it if anything is simply moved. So it may be beneficial to explain this to your son. If you wish, you can also have the fridge locked up.
4. Take the time to enjoy the lobby. Chip & Dale storytime; Disney channel on tv-with kid-sized rocking chairs(mine loved it!); lovely fireplace.
5. I can personally vouch for the Pinnochino's Workshop. Son had a great time while Mom and Dad got to enjoy some couple time. Adrienne K. has a couple of articles on it here on MP. Check the "parenting in the Parks" section. You can PM me too if you wish.

Have fun!

BTMichael
03-22-2004, 08:06 PM
3. The room fridge can be an issue. Even if nothing is taken from the fridge, you will still be charged for it if anything is simply moved. So it may be beneficial to explain this to your son. If you wish, you can also have the fridge locked up.
You can ask for a regular, small refrigerator to be brought to the room, if they are available. We were able to do that during our stay at the GCH last August. We used it primarily for cold water (and to freeze a couple of smaller water bottles). And yes, avoid the room fridge that has the "goodies".

hazlnut
03-23-2004, 09:56 AM
Room 6001! An absolute must if you want to watch fireworks and hear the music right from your own room!

Grandbreaker
03-23-2004, 01:25 PM
I can personally vouch for the Pinnochino's Workshop. Son had a great time while Mom and Dad got to enjoy some couple time. Adrienne K. has a couple of articles on it here on MP. Must be 5-12 yrs old