PDA

View Full Version : Photos of the new Space Mountain track

Darkbeer
03-18-2004, 07:23 PM
Over at Westcoaster.net, they have photos of some of the new Space Mountain track...

http://www.westcoaster.net/update.php?id=0318043

Disclosure: I do provide photos for Westcoaster.net, but these were taken by Dan, who does some great work....

Disneyfreak
03-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Nice pictures!:) But what were those comments below the pics suppost to mean?

Darkbeer
03-18-2004, 08:12 PM
The folks over at WestCoaster.net have a warped sense of humor.... (but then again, so do I, have you seen my latest Knott's update?):fez:

Thomas
03-18-2004, 09:05 PM
I think the comments below the pictures are if you are a Beavis and Butthead fan. Darkbeer, I think you try to hard to make your comments like theirs. Please don't. Just my opinion.

Darkbeer
03-18-2004, 09:12 PM
I don't, I admit I have a sarcastic sense of humor, but my comments are ones that I like... I try to add a mix of informative, and funny comments.... But I am a fan of shows like SNL, Mad TV, and South Park.....

But of course, not everyone would drink Habu Saki.....

Many people like my comments, sorry if you don't... I try to keep it fairly clean..... as I understand that folks of all ages do check out the photos.....

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-19-2004, 01:49 PM
I like Darkbeer's comments, but I think the ones in that Knotts update were a little much.

Icy Bacon
03-20-2004, 10:02 AM
That is VEKOMA track!??! Wow... things sure have changed with them. I wonder if they'll fill the spines with anything, since hollow box spine tends to be rather loud, at high speeds/forces anyways.

That looks more like what would make up a B&M (Riddler's Revenge, Batman, Medusa, Incredible Hulk, etc.) junior coaster than something Vekoma would cook up, but it's a relief to see track that'll put the guide wheels on the outside.

kijay
03-20-2004, 10:40 AM
Personally, I'm just glad to see progress being made. I can't wait for the ride to reopen. Hope we get surprised and have some new ride elements, but I know that is not going to happen. A guy can dream though, can't he?:crying:

SpaceMTJunkie
03-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by kijay
Hope we get surprised and have some new ride elements, but I know that is not going to happen.

How do you know this?

Darkbeer
03-20-2004, 03:53 PM
Because everyone in the know has been told that the track will be the same layout, the biggest change in the track layout is the addition of a special segment in the loading area, which will allow for the temporary removal of a car, to allow folks who need additional time in loading the vehicle.

kijay
03-20-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
Because everyone in the know has been told that the track will be the same layout, the biggest change in the track layout is the addition of a special segment in the loading area, which will allow for the temporary removal of a car, to allow folks who need additional time in loading the vehicle.

Yeah, what he said. (I definitely am not one of those who are "in the know", I rely on info from posters like Darkbeer):D

Disneyfreak
03-20-2004, 07:02 PM
What are you talking about? This ride is going to be state of the art when it opens! You will have some new special effects that you have never seen before in the roller coaster industry. From what I hear going on is that they will have actual holograms follow your car! It will also have two sound tracks day and night. Who knows with that kind of beefed up track they might add a loop.:)

DisneyFan25863
03-20-2004, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Disneyfreak
What are you talking about? This ride is going to be state of the art when it opens! You will have some new special effects that you have never seen before in the roller coaster industry. From what I hear going on is that they will have actual holograms follow your car! It will also have two sound tracks day and night. Who knows with that kind of beefed up track they might add a loop.:)

The sound tracks and the loop were both rumors, both were cut from the plan due to budget cuts. Plus, the mountian isn't big enough for a loop.

As for the holograms: Yeah, and they are adding Warp Drives to the Space Shuttle :rolleyes:

SpaceMTJunkie
03-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Hey Darkbeer, I do believe that Kijay said there was going to be no new ride elements. I didn't hear anything about track layout. As soon as you get back from the next board meeting, let us know what's new.

CoasterMatt
03-21-2004, 10:02 AM
The ride layout is identical - if people want to complain about how long it's taking to rebuild, just think how long it would be if they had to redesign it?

As it is, the newer track is much heavier, and requires an entirely new structure; they've had to dig down into the foundation and place new footers.

As for new effects, there's ONE new projection, and it isn't much different than anything already seen in the mountain.

Yep, the ride will be state of the art, for 1977 :)

Disneyfreak
03-21-2004, 10:28 PM
I dont believe that all they would do would be replacing the track. They have to at least do the two soundtrack deal and put some great visual effects in the mountain for it to be worth the wait. I would expect that to be the min of what is required to satisfy the crowd. The imagineers may have not submited the new type of projection system that they are probably working on. I just dont see how it could be exactly the same as last time when they claim it will be state of the art.

CoasterMatt
03-22-2004, 06:10 AM
Who is claiming it will be "state of the art"? Marketing? They're the kind of people that sell Innoventions with lines like "Play with near-future technologies that will soon be available to make your life easier, better and more cool!"

Lashbear
03-23-2004, 05:13 AM
One of the sites I have been viewing (of course, I don't remember which one) had information to the effect that the track would be filled with sand to dampen vibration and noise.

A google search on [ mummy ride sand ] should find it for those who want to read it.

I wish I could get back to the states to ride this soon ! :(

Cheers,
Rob.

UncleGDogWord
03-23-2004, 09:28 AM
What would be really sweet if there were picture of the current state of the interior of Space Mountain with out the track installed.