PDA

View Full Version : AP's, are they worth it?

Alpha1mom
03-17-2004, 06:31 AM
(pesty me again)

I live in Northern California, would it be worth it to buy a annual pass?
We've been coming once a year (fly) but we're planning a drive
in the next month or so. If the drive isn't that bad, we may consider buying passes and come alot more often.

Any opinions?

LegolandMC
03-17-2004, 07:02 AM
It depends on a lot of things.

First of all, even if you only come out once a year, how long are you staying? Depending on the length of your stay, that alone might make it worth it to have an AP. When you think about it, the price of the Premium is very good if you'll be there more than two or three days, especially if you might be parking at the parking structure, since you get free parking. Not to mention the discounts. Very good deal!

And if you don't think the drive is that bad, and you think you'll be coming out again, then it is DEFINITELY worth it to get a pass. No question about it.

Leap for Joy
03-17-2004, 07:32 AM
Upgrading your adult park hopper to a Deluxe AP is only $36! Compare that to what you'll spend on souvenirs! $36 for the option to come back again in the next year? Totally worth it!!! And, if the days of your next vacation are black-out days on the Deluxe Pass, upgrade it to Premium at that point. It makes future vacations easy. I say go for it!!

Andrew
03-17-2004, 08:26 AM
We live in Palo Alto (Bay Area) as well, and the APs are totally worth it. If we're lucky we visit five times a year, so it's possible we don't quite make our money back, but the convenience of no-questions-asked entrance into either park on any day of the year, plus parking, plus whatever discounts haven't been chipped away yet, make it definitely worth it. For us.

mad4mky
03-17-2004, 08:43 AM
We live just a little north of Andrew...in the SF Bay Area...and we too have AP's. We have found, that for us, a family of 5...it has saved us quite a bit of money in the long run...
Even if you take only two trips down (mulitple days) in that year, you can save.:D

Darkbeer
03-17-2004, 09:08 AM
If you plan yiour trips out, even one that goes "once a year" can save a lot buying AP's (more than likely, the Deluxe)...

Just plan your yearly trip around the AP... Say, come late May this year, your AP would have an expiration date of say, May 20th, 2005. In 2005, come in May, but make sure you leave by May 20th.... Two visits for the price of one.... then in May of 2006, buy a new AP, and return in 2007.....

Wizard69
03-17-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Darkbeer
If you plan yiour trips out, even one that goes "once a year" can save a lot buying AP's (more than likely, the Deluxe)...

Just plan your yearly trip around the AP... Say, come late May this year, your AP would have an expiration date of say, May 20th, 2005. In 2005, come in May, but make sure you leave by May 20th.... Two visits for the price of one.... then in May of 2006, buy a new AP, and return in 2007.....

Come on May 20th and leave on May 20th? HUH? If they were visiting from somewhere farther than local, more than likely they would be visiting more than 1 day. "In 2005, come in May, but make sure you leave by May 20th.... Two visits for the price of one" That would be 1 visit from May 20th to May 20th.

I think you mean come on May 20th and then come back again before May 20, 2006 and renew.

sediment
03-17-2004, 10:24 AM
It takes 5 days of full-paid ($47) visits to equal the PAP cost. Note that there are many ways to save off the full-paid price, which will serve to increase the break-even number of days. For example, the five-day parkhopper costs only $129 right now, online. That's about $26 admission per day, or your fourth and fifth full-price day free.

If you plan this vacation to be the only time you will go for the year, then there are 2-day, 3-day, and 5-day parkhopper tickets.
All expire 13 days after first use!
Check the Disney web site for more info.

If you buy the PAP, you should commit to at least seven or eight days of visits over the year. This does not include the discounts on purchases, which will lower the break-even number of days. Hotel discounts can add up to big savings.

In summary: if you plan to stay onsite frequently, then Annual Passports are the way to go. If you do not plan to stay onsite, nor go frequently, then a parkhopper pass might be the way to go.

Darkbeer
03-17-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Wizard69
Come on May 20th and leave on May 20th? HUH? If they were visiting from somewhere farther than local, more than likely they would be visiting more than 1 day. "In 2005, come in May, but make sure you leave by May 20th.... Two visits for the price of one" That would be 1 visit from May 20th to May 20th.

I think you mean come on May 20th and then come back again before May 20, 2006 and renew.

Let's try this again.... You arrive on May 20th, 2004, and buy a Deluxe AP, and stay a few days, say thru May 25th. (to do this correctly, you buy the 5 day ParkHopper on Sale, so you can avoid the blackout on May 22nd, and then upgrade on the 23rd or 24th.). Then your second trip would be May 12th thru the 17th, 2005. (Your AP has an expiration date of May 20th, 2005.) You do not buy any parkhoppers, or renew your AP! (a "free" trip).

Then in May of 2006, you once again return to the DLR, this is when you would buy a new AP to use for the 2006, and the May 2007 trip.

So, you got 4 years worth of vacation just for the price of two AP's:fez:

BELLEH5
03-17-2004, 06:25 PM
Alpha1mom --

I live in Sacramento and having an AP is worth it!!! I Drive down there about 4 or 5 times a year!! I have the Premium AP, which means "no block out days" so I can go when ever I want!!

disneynut
03-17-2004, 07:08 PM
Hi Alpha1mom~We live in the Northern San Joaquin Valley and have ap's. I have two kids (6 and 3) and we drive to DL when we go. The drive isn't too bad; we make a couple of rest stop stops and usually one meal break. The drive home is a breeze because the kids usually sleep the whole way home. The only drawback to our wallet is that we do find ourselves planning spur of the moment weekend trips but the kids (and us!) just love those trips. The discounts and the parking that come with the PAP help out quite a bit too.

Icy Bacon
03-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Andrew, Palo Alto represent! I sincerely hope you've experienced Miyaki and its sushi-laden boats of goodness.

Anyways, I bought a Premium AP on a trip down with friends last January and I have to say I'm glad I did. It's "only" a 6-7 hour drive and with the free parking, a 50mpg Prius and the invitation to stay at a pal's house near Anaheim, it means this cheap 18 yr old can visit the happiest place in the world delightfully often. :)

Even if you're unsure of making enough trips to justify the pass, it's really convinient and the discounts certainly add up. You also find yourself strangely drawn to chairs in the Grand Californian lobby... ;)

Andrew
03-17-2004, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
Andrew, Palo Alto represent! I sincerely hope you've experienced Miyaki and its sushi-laden boats of goodness. This place (http://www.google.com/local?num=20&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&safe=off&q=miyake&near=Palo+Alto,+CA&radius=0.0&latlng=37441944,-122141944,37443857,-122163656)? Seen it, haven't been there yet. It's on the list, and thanks for the recommendation.

While we're on the subject, what's the preferred route for Bay Areans to get down to Anaheim? From Palo Alto, we almost always go 101-152-5. When we lived in San Mateo, we went 92-880-238-580-5 about half the time, depending on traffic through the Altamont pass. Now that 101 through Morgan Hill has been unplugged, and we've moved fourteen miles or so south, it's no contest.

Alpha1mom
03-18-2004, 04:25 AM
Thank you all for your input.
It looks as though we probably will go to DL in the beginning of June and most likely buy passes.

Thanks everyone!

stan4d_steph
03-18-2004, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
Andrew, Palo Alto represent! I sincerely hope you've experienced Miyaki and its sushi-laden boats of goodness. Sake bomb! That place is LOUD. I remember when it was in a smaller location on the other side of University; it was almost impossible to get in. Pretty good though. A roommate of mine drank a bit too much and ate a big hunk of wasabe there once. That was really funny.

Quinten27
03-18-2004, 02:37 PM
I live in Alaska, and my family and I are all AP holders. We usually only make one a year, but we make it last for as long as possible (about 2 weeks), and the AP is cheaper than paying for 10 days worth of park hoppers. The discounts also help on the meals and souvy's.

cstephens
03-18-2004, 02:39 PM
Nah, I don't think Annual Passholders are worth the trouble they cause. :p

Quinten27
03-18-2004, 02:43 PM
Hmmmm, so the passholders are the ones causing all the trouble?

And here I thought it was just the passes that were making trouble... :D

sediment
03-18-2004, 03:35 PM
The Annual Passport holders are mere victims of solid economic purchasing decisions.
The AP program is still being debated as to its profit-effectiveness at the current prices. Debated here, TDA, everywhere.

Quinten27
03-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Disney may be losing out on a bit of revenue by making the AP such a good value, but as we all know, more people in the park = more food, drink, and souvy sales, and that's where the real profit is.

Speaking of high mark-ups on things........I have a question for anyone who can answer it. I've only ever been to DLR during winter time, and I've wondered if there is much of a price change for items in the park during the year. ie Would a cold soda cost more on a hot summer day than in the middle of winter?

sediment
03-18-2004, 04:02 PM
Yes, AP holders either spend more money or spend less money. No one knows for sure, and no one has a good estimate of the profit margin on food and souvenirs. We may never know the answer regarding direct profits.

A couple of thoughts, off the top o'the head (as I've never posted them before) on the benefits of an AP Program (now you should KNOW I haven't posted them before):
1. AP holders generally don't go to the "competition" as often. This keeps Disney up and Uni and Knotts down in some form, by comparison.

2. The AP program can allow Disney to charge higher rents in Downtown Disney, what with some fraction of 600000 AP holders walking through DTD at any given time instead of another restaurant mall.

3. AP holders who DON'T visit more often than the break-even are a profit center. The end-of-year Coca-Cola pitch for APs at $20 off made them reasonably-priced gifts to an untapped market: people who don't go very often. Since they were gifts, there is less incentive for the recipient to "get his money's worth." One trip and it's "paid" for.

Quinten27
03-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Other than the discounts, are there any other privelages that you get by being an AP holder? Any early entry programs or anything like that? I know they used to do that, but last time I was down there (Dec '02) they weren't doing it.

Darkbeer
03-18-2004, 06:35 PM
I would look forward to Tower of Terror AP previews. They just offered Snow White shows (though they were not privews...)

But that is about it, besides the discounts, and the quarterly mailings.