PDA

View Full Version : Which ride do you head for first?

Pages : [1] 2

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 05:28 PM
When you visit the parks, is there a ride you always ride first? Or do you just see what happens?

In DL, we tend to head straight through to NOS to ride POTC and the Haunted Mansion (usually in that order too). We get Fastpasses for Indy on the way past, and then after Haunted Mansion head over to Splash to ride or get Fastpasses.

In DCA, it's normally Grizzly first, followed by either Soarin' (again, usually get Fastpasses on the way past) or heanging out in the sun at Paradise Pier to dry off.

This is the pattern for our first day. After that, it just depends:D

disneydreams
03-16-2004, 05:36 PM
When we first enter DL, we always manage to go on the train to NOS. We kinda group 3 rides together, so usually it's either:

HM, POTC, & BTMRR

or

HM, POTC, & Indy <--Usually this one

After the trio, we usually head for Splash...or Autopia (I like to drive!) :D

DCA...Aladdin show:D

sediment
03-16-2004, 06:02 PM
It's been a while. Last time we arrived just as DCA was opening, so we did Soarin' then GRR (I think -- I can't remember if it was hot or not). Then we walk around for an hour or so trying to find something interesting. Then head to DL.
DL: Space Mountain. (Told you it's been a while!) I think we might have gone on twice. Then went in a counter-clockwise manner. Matterhorn was down -- that would have been next.

Mickeyslittlehelper
03-16-2004, 06:24 PM
Always either Indy or Splash first.

SacTown Chronic
03-16-2004, 06:31 PM
Matterhorn. Every time. Our kids would be crushed if we did anything else first.

ununoctium
03-16-2004, 06:39 PM
I try to do Fantasyland... if you get there RIGHT at opening, the lines aren't too bad.

:)

Sean Menefee
03-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Back in the day when Tomorrow Land was still functioning we used to head straight to Space Mountain no matter how long the line was.

Since that isn’t going to be an option for a bit longer whenever my best friend and I make the trip down I-5 we usually go straight over to POTC to really get the whole theme park feeling going. That ride is really great at taking you away from daily school/work worries, and has a way of setting a great tone for the rest of our night at DL. Then it’s off to find Donald Duck merchandise, ( that can end up being a rather large hunt as most of you know, it a shame you cant find him around the park more.)

cemeinke
03-16-2004, 08:02 PM
usually it's Disneyana, followed by the Candy Palace, and the hub-castle complex. Frequently we never make it to a ride, or get one just before park closing.

EandCDad
03-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Peter Pan - always. The line never gets better, always ride it first if you are going to ride it.

Lekta
03-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Indy usually, however, with the last trip to disneyland in our minds, we may just try to get onto Splash Mountain, as we didn't even get the oppurtunity last trip. The fastpasses went for the day quickly and the line was HUGE all day. I believe that it was October too... why so crowded then? Going back in May, praying for a few less people...!

disneydreams
03-16-2004, 08:19 PM
After reading cemeinke's post...

Even though it's not a ride, we often go to Emporium, as the first thing we do, to see if they have any new stuff, but I drift off across the street to Disneyana (cuz they do have some cool stuff there)..:D

If one of my brothers goes with us, he complains while camcording:

"Emporium! Shopping?! again?! You can shop later! ah! We didn't come here to shop!"
"So?"

:D

RideMax Mark
03-16-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Peter Pan - always. The line never gets better

I agree!

The other thing to note about doing Peter Pan first is that the ride itself only lasts about two minutes, so putting it before anything else doesn't really put you "behind" as far as other lines in the park go...

Gemini Cricket
03-16-2004, 08:46 PM
The first ride I usually ride is the parking lot tram. Ha ha - trick answer.

I like riding Indy first... get it out of the way before the line piles up.

Then Splash so if I get wet I can dry off in the sun. If there's no sun I usually skip Splash...

I like Ed's idea of doing Peter Pan first. Never thought of that...

:)

Caleb the Great
03-16-2004, 08:57 PM
I also try to do Peter Pan first,but I always end up going on POTC or Big Thunder Mountain because they are my favorites and I cant wait to ride them.:D

TrekkieDad
03-16-2004, 09:03 PM
Definitely Indy. We try to get there early enough to get in an empty car.

Kevy Baby
03-16-2004, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by cemeinke
usually it's Disneyana Isn't that NA's second home? ;)

Kevy Baby
03-16-2004, 09:13 PM
From a little different perspective (being APs) one of our "go-to" rides is DLRR (the train). Something wonderfully relaxing about just riding around the park, invariably striking up conversations with all sorts of people.

And for us too, Disneyana is a must on the way out to visit GusGus's favorite piece (which will probably be sold out soon :( )

HBTiggerFan
03-16-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Gemini Cricket
The first ride I usually ride is the parking lot tram. Ha ha - trick answer.

HEY!!!!!! That was my answer.

Ok, followed by the tram ride I generally do the walk down Main St. until I find someone I know ride. Then we do the standing around until we decide what to do ride. Sometimes we make it to an actual ride.

Before I had my pass, and fell into these habits I generally went to Tomorrowland first (before the redo) and did Space Mtn.

03-17-2004, 02:16 AM
It used to be ... (sob) the Submarine Voyage (R.I.P.).

Now it would be the Jungle Cruise.

Lashbear
03-17-2004, 02:33 AM
Peter Pan or Dumbo are both good choices for avoiding long lines later in the day - as is Alice.

I always run to Indy though... for a fastpass and a trip or two through Spash Mountan and the Haunted Mansion while waiting for the indy fastpass to mature. Picking up an unlinked Pirates fastpass is always a good idea too.

SacTown Chronic
03-17-2004, 05:39 AM
Originally posted by EandCDad
Peter Pan - always. The line never gets better, always ride it first if you are going to ride it.
We hit Peter Pan after Matterhorn. We won't even try to ride it after Disneyland has been open for 20 minutes.

danyoung
03-17-2004, 05:48 AM
It depends on my time of arrival. If I've just hit town, and get to DL in the afternoon, I always hit the train first. This used to be much more important when the great Thurl Ravenscroft did the narration ("..and no smoking please - the smoking lamp is OUT!"), but it's still a nice way to ease into a trip and see the changes in the park since my last visit.

If I'm hitting first thing in the morning, the one place I do NOT go is any of the big attractions that are now better served with FastPass and single rider entry. I love heading to Fantasyland and doing ALL of the dark rides in about 30 minutes, then heading to Tomorrowland for the Autopia (all rides that I'd not wait even 15 minutes for anymore, but are still fun with little or no wait).

Good thread!

Photographer
03-17-2004, 07:43 AM
Varies depending upon who's with me. I prefer to hit Jungle Cruise or Peter Pan first. My friends usually want to see POTC or BTR first.

When I lived in CA, I'd stop by the park in the morning if I didn't have to be into work till 1. One day I beelined it for Peter Pan and the guy said, How many? I'm like just me. He looked at me funny. I told him, I've gotta get in at least one ride before going to work. To which he asked, do you work in Disneyland? LOL Nope, I work at the mall. LOL

ppmuse
03-17-2004, 07:48 AM
A couple of conditions:

If we get the early morning, then we do the whole entire Fantasyland in record time, also Space Mountain and Star Tours when SM was open.

When the park actually opens, we run and get a fast pass for Indy, then we run to Splash Mountain and ride it. Then head back for Mickey Mouse Pancakes, a ride on POTC and HM, then back to Indy. After that, the possibilities are high.

In CA Adventure, we run to Screamin. Then we head back to Grizzly and get a fast pass for the afternoon (between 11 and 12). Then we go to Soaring. At 11, we head back to Grand California, change into swimsuits, go on Grizzly, then jump in the pool. All could be done within 15 minutes.

Cancer Norm
03-17-2004, 02:19 PM
:D We usually get there at opening and head straight to the Riverbelle Terrace. Get breakfast and sit outside against the building. I'm facing the Rivers of America looking at the Mark Twain. To the left is the entrance tunnel for Pirates, and directly behind is the Swiss Family Treehouse..oops Tarzan's whatever place. I sit there, eat and take in the morning relaxing with my coffee while the kids run to Indy or Jungle Cruise. ..I love the morning at the Riverbelle...it's still quiet and peaceful.....until the madness starts!:cool: