PDA

View Full Version : Rainforest Cafe DTD - recommendations?

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 02:16 PM
So we went to the Ranforest Cafe a couple of times oin our last trip.

Breakfast was good. We really enjoyed it (if you go, try their French Toast. It's amazing:D )

Dinner, however, was only okay. We had the Appetizer platter to share, and it was good, but some of the entrees were a little disappointing (I had the Chinese Chicken Salad, and quite enjoyed it, but some of the other meals were not great).

The thing is, I'd quite like to go back to the RFC with my family at the end of the year. The theming is so over the top, and I think they'd enjoy that. But I'd like some recommendations from people who have eaten there before and enjoyed it for what to order...what have you enjoyed at the RFC before and would recommend?

Kevy Baby
03-16-2004, 02:32 PM
You aren't going to RFC for the food; you go for the atmosphere. (I love the new shark they put in the tank - that thing is HUGE). They don't have bad food, its just underwhelming. Keep in mind that you can visit to check out the aquarium without having to eat there.

That being said, I enjoy the Primal Steak. GusGus has had the Pot Roast and the burgers aren't too bad either.

And I hate to give away a great secret, but see about joining their Safari Club (http://www.rainforestcafe.com/SafariContactUs.asp). It gives you prefered seating as well as discounts. I was able to get a group in almost immediately a couple of weeks ago when the wait for a table was 1 to 1-1/2 hours. (This normally only works for groups of up to six though.)

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 03:18 PM
How do you go about joining the Safari Club? You're right, the lines can be horrendous - anything to avoid those would be good:)

Corith
03-16-2004, 03:37 PM
Try the lettuce wraps appetizer. I like mine with out peanuts.

You may also want to try ordering a Blue Curacao margarita.

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the recs Corith:)

Last time we had a wait of about 45 minutes for our table, and spent it at the bar, trying a couple of the drinks there. I don't think anyone had the Blue Curacao margarita, but all the drinks were pretty good, I remember.

EandCDad
03-16-2004, 03:41 PM
I usually get the burger, it's overpriced, but it's pretty good.

Disneyfreak
03-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Mojo Bones and their pastas.:)

Ghoulish Delight
03-16-2004, 03:50 PM
CP and I split the chicken. It was quite good, and more than enough food for 2 people.

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Splitting a meal is a good idea. I take it they don't mind if you do this?

Ghoulish Delight
03-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by CarlieB
Splitting a meal is a good idea. I take it they don't mind if you do this? Not at all, nor do they charge a splitting fee, as some places do.

BELLEH5
03-16-2004, 03:56 PM
Has anyone had their Bannana Foster's dessert? It's soooo good*

Corith
03-16-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the recs Corith:)

Last time we had a wait of about 45 minutes for our table, and spent it at the bar, trying a couple of the drinks there. I don't think anyone had the Blue Curacao margarita, but all the drinks were pretty good, I remember.

The female brunette bartender does a great job (I go there a lot) and its not on their menu, you have to custom order it. Out of all the places I have been to, the Disney Rainforest Cafe makes the best Blue Curacao margarita

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Has anyone had their Bannana Froster's dessert? It's soooo good*

No, not the one at the RFC. But I have had it at Ralph Brennan's, about 2 years ago. It was great. They prepared it tableside, so it doubled as entertainment (for half the restaurant, I might add:D )
It was definitely enough for 2 people, maybe even 3.

Drogo
03-16-2004, 04:33 PM
I wish they would bring back the ceviche appetizer. I went back a couple times for that and haven't gone back since they replaced it with buffalo wings. I tried the lettuce wraps but couldn't get the hang of not letting the thing fall apart after biting. BRING BACK CEVICHE!!!!!!!!! Please:)

I hear the breakfast pizza is good but I've never had it.

I ususally get the Primal Steak with garlic mashed potatos. It's a good steak. I was very surprised to find such good food at a theme restaurant. I hear other RFC's aren't as good.

Kevy Baby
03-16-2004, 04:44 PM
How do you go about joining the Safari Club? You're right, the lines can be horrendous - anything to avoid those would be good:) I had posted the link in my original post, but you may have missed it (for those who don't know, underlined text in posts often [but not always] means a link).

But here it is again: Link to Safari Club info (http://www.rainforestcafe.com/SafariContactUs.asp).

Can probably also sign up at the gift shop in RFC, but I am not sure if you can use your membership the same day.

CarlieB
03-16-2004, 04:46 PM
I had posted the link in my original post, but you may have missed it

Sorry, I must be blind! Don't know how I missed it...:p

Thanks for that:)

wwithers
03-16-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
And I hate to give away a great secret, but see about joining their Safari Club (http://www.rainforestcafe.com/SafariContactUs.asp). It gives you prefered seating as well as discounts. I was able to get a group in almost immediately a couple of weeks ago when the wait for a table was 1 to 1-1/2 hours. (This normally only works for groups of up to six though.)

I don't know about that RFC, but we go to the one by my house (Kansas City) and always get priority seating w/just the three of us.

Not to be critical of RFC (okay to be critical) because my daughter loves it; but does anyone else ever sit in there thinking, "if Disney did this those plants wouldn't be in here...those animals don't belong in the rainforest!" (What the heck are hippos and zebras doing in the rainforest?) "Is this an African or a S.A. rainforest?"

Anyway...

03-17-2004, 02:14 AM
We go to the RFC in the Mall of America. The four of us always order:

appetizer platter to share
a bowl of clam chowder each

That's it. You leave with room for an ice cream cone somewhere else.

ppmuse
03-17-2004, 07:51 AM
The theming is top notch. That's all that can be really said about the place. But I do like the pizza they have there, cheese, pepperoni, and black olives, makes my mouth water (still a kid at heart ;-) ). The best part about RC, and the reason why I keep going back, is that we have an RC membership card, cost like 20 bucks or something like that, and it lets us right in with out waiting. Not too shabby.

bakerbunny
03-17-2004, 08:27 AM
I enjoy their fish dishes. Oh yeah and you can sign up for the Safari Club in the Gift Shop and use it that night. They also send coupons for birthdays and anniversaries. You get 10% off or a free appetizer, as well as no wait time. this is better than the limited PAP discount which is from 11-2 only on weekdays.

I like the Cape Cod cooler from the bar, they are the only bartenders that automatically put in the lime without asking.
the Leapin Lizard Lettuce Wraps that corith is talking about are wonderful. We often share it (yes he is mine).

I like the atmosphere, and the food is good though not spectacular, but DTD is a "Date Place" so you go for atmosphere anyway. Right?

;)

bubsy
03-17-2004, 01:15 PM
I have eaten at the RFC once, I got some type of chicken salad that was drenched in salad dressing, though quite good.

It was also the size of a small child.

Shinku
03-17-2004, 05:26 PM
Being that I live within a 30 minute drive of Dtwn Disney, I frequently go down there on friday nights and have dinner at Rainforest Cafe. I love the thunderstorms when all the animals go nuts and the lightening and whatnot :)

However, they're fairly pricey for "meh" food. I stick with their pastas, they've all been pretty good. Their dinner salads are "meh", but their clam chowder is delicious. The BBQ bacon burger is nice too.

If you get the chance (and you're in a very "WOOO!" kind of mood) ask for Carnel as your waiter. He's a blast, we always request him every time we go <3