PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland at Christmas

momofjka
03-15-2004, 10:43 AM
Hey,
We are headed to Disneyland on Dec. 17-23 the week before Christmas does anyone have ideas on the crowds, hours of the park, fantasmic and parades that happen at this time of year?
Thanks!!!

pisces
03-15-2004, 10:51 AM
I have no idea what goes on or what to look for.

All I know is that I am absolutely obsessed with planning my Christmas trip, and wish the time would go by fast. I can't believe it isn't even Summer yet. Only a native Southern Californian would say this, but I wouldn't mind skipping summer if it would speed up Christmas!

MouseWife
03-15-2004, 11:08 AM
Okay, until someone with more information comes on I will say a few things {to whet your appetite even more!!}

First off, it will be crowded!!! Everyone wants to be there during the holidays. Although, maybe not as crowded as the days immediately after you leave.

There won't be Fantasmic!. I believe not as I have never seen it announced when I've gone at that time. They do have parades and the snow and fireworks.

I think the park opened up at 10 and closed at 8 p.m.

And, regardless of how crowded it gets, it is amazing. :) What a wonderful feeling just to be there.

LOL Yes, only a native Californian. :D

{I just don't want the hot hot unbearable heat...}

kijay
03-15-2004, 11:16 AM
We went in 1998 the four days leading up to Christmas and Christmas day itself. NEVER, NEVER AGAIN. I can only imagine it has gotten worse over the years. Wall to wall people everywhere. The only time we could get on anything was during early admission, which doesn't exist anymore. Of course this was pre-fastpass, so I don't know how that will help, but I understand on really busy days the fastpass machines run out by noon to one or two o'clock. The park was decorated beautifully, and the parades were nice. but it was totally unmanageable due to the crowds. Sorry if thats not what you wanted to hear, but that was our experience with it. If you don't mind crowds that are overwhelming, then go for it.

iwannabeanimagineer
03-15-2004, 11:30 AM
We went this last year during the week before Christmas and one day between Christmas and New Year. Here's what we liked:
:)Christmas goodies at many eateries
Christmas parade
Jack Skellington/Oogie Boogie overlay at the Haunted Mansion
Christmas music/decor overlay at It's A Small World
Cool temperatures
Almost all of the rides open
Open late
Moderately-sized crowds--none of the lines were as long as we expected, we used FastPass, of course we didn't go on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, New Year's Eve or New Year's Day
Fantasmic!
Holiday fireworks with snow
Santa Claus and friends at DCA's sun plaza
Costumed characters in holiday dress
Carolers (we missed the candelight procession, but I hear people like it)
Holiday souvenirs, music and decor on Main Street
Holiday decor in New Orleans Square
Walking around wearing ponchos in the rain
Friendly people in the holiday spirit
Rose Bowl football teams and the associated marching bands made appearances

Here's what we didn't like:
:(No more Country Bear Christmas (permanently)

Brydagr8
03-15-2004, 02:17 PM
i go every year at this time. there is a christmas parade, and fire work show with snow (is actully bubbles) last christmas there was fantasmic. there is the jack skelington chrismas thing at the haunted mansion and in new orleans square they give out free mardi gras beads. you might be able to catch a character dressed for the holidays like goofy dressed as santa. its a small world is totlally decked out and so is main street.

mousey_girl
03-15-2004, 03:25 PM
Last year they did have Fantasmic, but not the 2 years before that.

DL during the Holidays is wonderful. Just go, relax, don't stress about the crowds.

Be there when the gates open and then around 12-1pm-ish head to DCA or your hotel for some down time.

It will be busy, but as long as you don't plan what you want to be doing every single minute of the day, you will be fine.

Instead of waiting in an extremly longggggggg line on Main Street to see Santa, pop over to GCH or DLH for a much more relaxing visit.

momofjka
03-18-2004, 12:00 PM
Thanks for all the tips!! We are going to surprise our kids on our way to the airport. It will be their first trip to anything Disney and I just don't know if I can't wait to tell them!!
Thanks again!!!

richas
03-18-2004, 01:57 PM
We have gone the week before Xmas (2003) and the week between Xmas and NYs ( 2001,2002). It's very crowded, but very special! Be sure to take a break, if possible, in the middle of the day to relax and recharge for all the holiday entertainment and activies in the evenings. Have a great time!

Quinten27
03-18-2004, 02:14 PM
I usually go the first 2 weeks of December, it seems to be a nice quiet time to go. It's the "calm in the storm" between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We have 2 young kids and yes, they may miss some school, but then, we also miss all the crowds! If you can change your reservations to a week earlier, I would highly recommend it. They still have all the holiday magic going on, and the lines will be much shorter.

CarlieB
03-18-2004, 02:34 PM
We'll be there the 2nd weekend in December this year for 4 days. I'm hoping it's not overwhelmingly busy, but still very "holiday-like". Can't wait....:)