PDA

View Full Version : Fastpass strategy

rentayenta
03-14-2004, 12:51 PM
I have been reading about it but if I could get an example or an actual plan, that would be muy bueño. Thank you:)

Icy Bacon
03-14-2004, 12:55 PM
I don't think you really need that much of a strategy at DL, as long as you remember which rides aren't part of the big network. Pretty much all you need to remember is you can't get a pass for Splash Mtn and Big Thunder right after each other, and Indy too once it gets working again.

At DCA... Mullholland and Soarin are where you should get passes, and Grizzly River Run isn't networked so you can get that anytime.

rentayenta
03-14-2004, 12:58 PM
Thank you and cool moniker.

Icy Bacon
03-14-2004, 01:17 PM
Actually, one thing that nobody tends to mention that could really help is when rides tend to run out of passes...

I've never really been to the resort at a non-peak time, but Splash Mountain tends to run out of fastpasses really quickly, same with Soarin, and Big Thunder, so get your hands on those early in the day or you'll be out of luck! Indiana Jones goes pretty fast too, but that ride has such a huge capacity that there are a LOT of passes.

Oh, and which is a moniker, the tiki room reference or my name? :confused:

rentayenta
03-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Your name is cool. I didn't even think that rides would/could run out of fast passes. Thanks!

tod
03-14-2004, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Icy Bacon
Oh, and which is a moniker, the tiki room reference or my name? :confused:

A moniker is a name.

--t

Mitchwebb
03-14-2004, 09:28 PM
We like to send a runner into DCA to Soarin to collect FP before we return to our Hotel for our afternoon nap/swim. The return during busy times is always around 5pm which is usally our return time. If we wait until the evening when we go to DCA the FP our usally all gong.

SoCalDisneyLover
03-14-2004, 10:04 PM
Toughest FastPass in Either Park, at Most Times, is Splash Mountain. If you have 2 or more people, and the weather is good, get those as early as possible. By 1:00-2:00, the return time is usually evening already.

Most necessary FP at CA Adventure is Soarin', but that will likely change when Tower opens in May. Next hardest is California Screamin', and since a Grizzly FP does not disqualify you from getting another, it's good to get one of those.

During the Holiday Season, next toughest FP's at DL are Haunted Mansion Holiday & Small World. Rest of the year, it's probably Indiana Jones & Big Thunder.

Darkbeer had a detailed thread explaining Fastpass 101, a few weeks ago. Perhaps it will appear somehow.

julia
03-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Hi,

My best suggestion is to create a plan for your trip or day at Disneyland. Then, when you first get to the parks, go to each of the FastPass rides or attractions that you want to do for the day and get your FastPasses. You will be certain to get passes for your first choices for the day and can "schedule" the rest of your day around your FastPass times. Yes, they can run out of FastPass times.....

Please feel free to e-mail me if you have any questions!

Best Regards,
Julia

pisces
03-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Do the fast passes apply to the single riders line?

Also, if my only priorities for the day were to ride Splash Mountain, and the Matterhorn: Would I get to the gates when they opened, and go immediately to the Matterhorn......and then go get the fastpass for Splash Mountain. -----Or, would I go get the Splash Mountain fastpass first thing, and then go to the Matterhorn?

kijay
03-15-2004, 11:22 AM
If you hit the Matterhorn as soon as the park opens, you should still be able to make it to Splash to get a fastpass. Guess it also depends on when you are going and the crowd levels for the day. One trick I used was to get fastpasses on rides like Indy and Screamin for all the ones in our family, even though only me and my son would ride, then we could get two rides right in a row. Sometimes we would hit the standyby line if the return time was close enough and we would be able to get three rides in in a relatively short time.:D

RideMax Mark
03-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Hmmm...

Julia, unless the OP has the kind of ticket from AAA allowing you to get all the FP's at once, he/she won't be able to get all of them right off the bat.

Personally, given the "Splash or Matterhorn" question, I think I would head to Matterhorn first, then go over and grab the Splash FP. If you're going on a day when the park opens at 8:00am and you're among the first guests into the park, I think you could do Matterhorn, grab the Splash FP, then actually *ride* Splash (without the FP) with minimal waiting, then save the FP for later in the day...

rentayenta
03-15-2004, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys. Who wants to come with me and show me how it's done? :p

I copied Darkbeers thread and am adding to it w/ all of this info.

LegolandMC
03-15-2004, 01:44 PM
I'll come with ya, but that brings us back to the mother's helper issue. ;)

It's really not that hard to figure out with the info here...once you get one fastpass, you pretty much will know how it works. It tells you right on the fastpass when you can get another one (with the exception of those not connected to the system), so you should do fine on your own. :)

cstephens
03-15-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by pisces
Do the fast passes apply to the single riders line?

Nope. Two separate things.

SoCalDisneyLover
03-15-2004, 05:11 PM
Single Rider for Splash Mountain is the best deal in the park. So long as you don't mind being separated, it takes a 90-120 Minute wait, down to 5 Minutes max.

You could literally do about 10 rides on Splash in the time it would take to wait in line, but you won't be able to ride with your friend(s).

rentayenta
03-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Our kids will be with us. If we do the Single Rider on Splash Mountain, will they have to ride alone too?

SoCalDisneyLover
03-15-2004, 06:08 PM
If you have kids, then it's probably not the best for you. Go with the Fast Pass route. If you do Single Rider, it means just that....Single Rider. They'll stick you in an open spot on a log, but you will very likely get split up.

If the kids are old enough, then they might not care and then you can definitely save a lot of time if you want to ride Splash more than once. I have no kids, so going SR is a no-brainer for me, whenever I'm at the park and in the mood for a little Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Dah!

edtsch
03-15-2004, 07:45 PM
When I was in DL (and DCA) this last October, I found that I could get several FP's simultaneously, even though I had been told you couldn't get a second one until you were close to the time of your first one.

So I'd say that just for grins, it's worth trying to get several to see if it will work. For example, if you're near Indie and Pirates, you could try getting FP's at both.

Moonliner
03-15-2004, 07:55 PM
Ahh but don't forget unlike all the "average" guests we MP's have a secret weapon. A weapon so powerful that were it made known to the "average" guest all heck would break loose. What is this secret weapon you asK? Shhhh! Don't say it too loud, it's:

DarkBeer. :)

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24421&highlight=fastpass

cemeinke
03-15-2004, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by Moonliner
Ahh but don't forget unlike all the "average" guests we MP's have a secret weapon. A weapon so powerful that were it made known to the "average" guest all heck would break loose. What is this secret weapon you asK? Shhhh! Don't say it too loud, it's:

DarkBeer. :)

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24421&highlight=fastpass

When it comes to fastpass, I believe the name of the real secret weopen is zapppop ;)

edtsch
03-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Wow. Darkbeer's article explains a lot. thanks!

Moonliner
03-16-2004, 02:48 PM
Just today I ran across a fascinating new software program called RideMax. Apparently it provides you with a computerized itinerary for a specific day (except Sundays) to help maximize your use of fastpasses. So all flush with the excitement of discovery I of course came here to tell everyone about it. But I forgot, this is mousepad. Not only has this program been discussed for YEARS around here, but it looks like the author of the darn thing is a padder and has even posted in this thread....
Some day, some how, I will get a "scoop" to post here. Looks like today is NOT that day...

So anyone use "ridemax" recently? How did it go?

sediment
03-16-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm not much of a guerilla-style DL guest. I go when it's as empty as possible. Plus, I like the queues.
My son and I did 14 attractions in 8 hours the last time I went. Nothing twice. That's plenty for me. Used one fastpass, for Splash.

DCAWhites
03-16-2004, 04:34 PM
Just a heads up, they FINALLY came to their senses and stopped doing fastpass at Its tough to be a bug and muppets as of monday.