PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Rapids Problems?

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2001, 02:55 PM
Stop me if I just missed an old thread (or at least point me to it), but the last couple of times we visited DCA, the spinner on the final drop of Grizzly Rapids wasn't spinning. Was this a temporary technical and we happened to get two days when it was down, or is there something else going on? It'd be a shame if it were taken out because someone got dizzy and sued or something stupid like that. It's still a good ride, but the spinner really was the icing on the cake.

MickeyD
10-15-2001, 02:58 PM
Supposedly they took it out because people were complaining of whiplash, etc. It's too bad.

Ghoulish Delight
10-15-2001, 03:07 PM
AAARGH! See, not everything that's wrong with DCA is Disney's fault. Some people suck. They spent a lot of time, money and creative energy on that piece of engineering only to have it axed by stupid people who comlain that the thrill ride they just went on was too extreme. Grrr. As a ride designer and engineer, there's gotta be a point where you question pushing the envelope when you know that half the time it's just gonna get you shot down.

MickeyD
10-15-2001, 03:17 PM
I know. I don't even remember it being that bad. You get tossed around a little but that makes it cool, it doesn't seem like it could possibly have given anyone whiplash, no worse than Indiana Jones or Space Mountain.

I should mention that I didn't hear that from any offical source, it was another message board, so it could be wrong.

innerSpaceman
10-15-2001, 03:55 PM
It seems to me just part of the usual pattern where attractions open the way they were imagineered and then, due to stupid guest complaints, money concerns, etc., some element is eliminated. Personally, I make sure to go on every new attraction often in its first months, knowing that there's at least a 50/50 chance that some element will be deleted and the attraction will then go on for decades in a form less than what it was meant to be.

Cadaverous Pallor
10-15-2001, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Personally, I make sure to go on every new attraction often in its first months, knowing that there's at least a 50/50 chance that some element will be deleted and the attraction will then go on for decades in a form less than what it was meant to be.
That is SO true.....like how Indy lost a lot of the "icing".....I think I'll take your advice and ride new things ASAP!

Alex S.
10-15-2001, 04:40 PM
Well, I personally would like some evidence about whether it was just stupid people complaining or whether it was people getting legitimately hurt.

As much fun as it may be for the 99, it wouldn't be right to keep a ride that is going to hurt 1 person out of a hundred (and I mean be the primary cause, not just exacerbated a pre-existing condition).

mad4mky
10-15-2001, 05:11 PM
That spin was the best part of the ride.

Guess I won't be going on that ride again. I can get wet on other rides....(and that ride isn't all that great).

HBTiggerFan
10-15-2001, 06:22 PM
I love GRR, and the spin at the end is awesome. With that said, the way it jerks you one way then another is not, and I have conked my head a few times, and been on a raft with people who have banged their heads together not knowing what was going to come.
If they took out that jerking motion at the start of the ride the spin would be perfect!!!

Remember, I love GRR and the spin and am not complaining, but I can see why they would take it out.

DisneylandKid
10-15-2001, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by Alex Stroup
Well, I personally would like some evidence about whether it was just stupid people complaining or whether it was people getting legitimately hurt.

As much fun as it may be for the 99, it wouldn't be right to keep a ride that is going to hurt 1 person out of a hundred (and I mean be the primary cause, not just exacerbated a pre-existing condition). I agree with you.

I've never ridden GRR, because I have problems with spinning (dizzzzzzzy---I see triple :)) Anyway, I probably will give GRR a try. However, the 360° spin at the end was a signature of the ride - even the DLR website described it. Would there be any way of slowing down the spin?

Uncle Dick
02-28-2002, 08:52 AM
The spin on GRR has turned into an on again/off again gamble, not unlike the music on Space Mountain (until recently when the music just stopped....). I imagine it's more of a problem with the system itself rather than guest complaints.