PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with the crowds

Moonliner
03-14-2004, 08:10 AM
I'm doomed.

Let me set the stage...

It's a beautiful spring day at DL, Indy has just reopened (hopefully), dumbo is back, and spring break is in full swing. Can you say packed?

It seems fairly obvious that my next trip to DL is going to be during high tourist season. So knowing that going in, what techniques do you have for dealing with the park on a VERY blustery day.

Here is what I have so far:

Arrive well before opening
Advanced reservations for dinner
A highly advanced fastpass strategy (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24421&highlight=fastpass)

Since I only get to the park once or twice per decade I'm even toying with the idea of purchasing multiple admissions for myself so I can double up on fastpasses...

Any other ideas other than "Don't go then"?

03-14-2004, 08:15 AM
Go back to the hotel and swim during the afternoon.

Keep yourself hydrated.

Power snacking is hereby approved and consequence-free for the duration of your visit.

Sunglasses

Extra-strength Excedrin

cstephens
03-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Moonliner
Advanced reservations for dinner

If you're really wanting to get more attractions in, schedule your meals at non-peak meal times. During normal lunch and dinner times, many people will be in line to get their meals or actually having their meals - which means they're not waiting in line for an attraction. If you do quick meals rather than sit-down affairs, you won't lose much time on meals either, but that depends on how much a sit-down experience means to you.

Also, not sure if you're planning to watch the parade or Fantasmic, but those times are also good for going on rides because many people will have spent the hour previous waiting for those and then another 20 minutes or so watching them, and so will also not be in line for rides.

When you get there in the morning, go on the more popular attractions first and those without Fastpass. Do the less popular ones and those with Fastpass during the busy times. If you stay until closing, the crowds will thin out again.

Have fun!

tod
03-14-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by 3894
Go back to the hotel and swim during the afternoon.

You can't do everything; pick your attractions and really enjoy them. An afternoon swim will leave you cooled off, refreshed, and ready to face the evening when the wage-slave local AP holders (like The tod Family) come in.

Power snacking is hereby approved and consequence-free for the duration of your visit.

This is why trail mix was invented. High nutrition, light weight.

Extra-strength Excedrin

Walgreens at Ball and Brookhurst (http://www.walgreens.com/storelocator/cgi-bin/mqlocator?store=locator&nav=0&screen=find&link=map2&height=300&width=350&sqlcol1=ST_NUM&sqlcnd1=%3D&sqlval1=6157&lat=338183&lng=-1179576&oa=&oc=&os=&oz=92805&dt=Y&th=Y&weekday=1&queryIconId=93392&origin_icon_on=1&ClickHere.x=10&ClickHere.y=12) has 100-count house brand aspirin for 99 cents. Open 24 hours, a 10-minute drive away. Failing that, go to First Aid and ask for aspirin. Never buy aspirin at the park. They will give it to you at First Aid.

--t

cemeinke
03-14-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Moonliner
Since I only get to the park once or twice per decade I'm even toying with the idea of purchasing multiple admissions for myself so I can double up on fastpasses...

I wouldn't bother with that one - pick your fast passes wisely and you'll be fine.

You already know it will be crowded, so you'll arive with the proper attitude. Instead of being frustrated, amuse yourself with some people watching, soak in the atmosphere, and be willing to make a few plan changes on the fly.

During that time the parks hours are longer and the entertainment offerings are usually expanded as well. You'll have a blast.

Ghoulish Delight
03-14-2004, 10:40 AM
It really is surprising how much you can get done, even on a crowded day, with an intelligent fastpass strategy (which you are clearly going to have). Twice over the last couple of years, during the busy Christmas season, we went with people who don't normally go. Despite the insane crowds, we managed to do nearly everything that they had wanted to do, without even showing up at rope drop. If you show up for opening, you will be able to get most of the major stuff done by mid-day, without rushing, allowing you to really relax and take your time to enjoy the rest of the day.

Along the lines of taking a swim, a break in the Grand Californian lobby can do wonders.

HBTiggerFan
03-14-2004, 11:34 AM
Remember that when it is this crowded, all the lines will be long. Walking from one attraction to another because the line is to long just waists time. By the time you find an attraction to wait in line you'd be half way done with the origional one.

If you are going alone be sure to utilitize the single rider lines when at all possible. If you want to do Fantasyland rides do them in the morning (or late at night before closing).

CarlieB
03-14-2004, 12:22 PM
Leave the parks for a few hours in the afternoon.

I can't stress it enough. Just heading back to your hotel for a while (or taking in a movie, or whatever) makes such a difference. We always do this, and by 5pm or so we're revitalised and ready to return.

My other golden rule is to use the FastPass and single rider systems - they can make all the difference, imho:)