PDA

View Full Version : Website offers the DOSH BTMRR photos

Pages : [1] 2

Darkbeer
03-12-2004, 06:37 PM
I just came across this website, some very interesting photos taken shortly after the accident.

http://rideinsider.com/btmrr/090503/index.html

Also, a couple of audio segments of CM interviews....

splashmtngurl
03-12-2004, 06:41 PM
wow thanks for the pics site! it was very.........interesting! the whole thing is a great big deal......just another downhill for disney......i hate to say! it makes me sad to see this stuff go downhill like this!

Kevy Baby
03-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks for posting this Darkbeer.

And while I appreciate somebody posting these pictures, it sure would be nice to see them without the watermarks blocking most of the image :(

Andrew
03-12-2004, 06:47 PM
Too bad they apparently felt it necessary to plaster their Web site's logo three times over each and every photo.

You know, DOSH (http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh1.html) is a state agency, which means those photos are public property and not subject to copyright. It's probably illegal, and certainly unethical, to claim ownership the way they have.

splashmtngurl
03-12-2004, 06:52 PM
i agree the watermarks ruin the picture.....there is no reason for them to worry about having the pictures stolen! other people will just get there pics from sites where they can acsess them! lol! really its just a stupid move on the DOSH co.!

stan4d_steph
03-12-2004, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by splashmtngurl
i agree the watermarks ruin the picture.....there is no reason for them to worry about having the pictures stolen! other people will just get there pics from sites where they can acsess them! lol! really its just a stupid move on the DOSH co.! As Andrew stated above, DOSH is not a company, but a state agency: the Division of Occupational Safety and Health. Anyone can request them from DOSH as they are a matter of public record.

disneyscott
03-12-2004, 08:30 PM
The only way I can get on the internet is at work. We have this @!?! of a firewall (not sure if that is the right term) called websence. Now with this I can't go to game sites, or sex sites and it wont even let me see a catalog sites of secerts by Victoria hehehehehehe but this link for this site come up with

Reason:
The Websense category "Sex" is filtered.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

URL:

I find it funny that if you take the main part of the site rideinsder that it is block for that reason...what else is on the site to have it block this way?

sambo
03-12-2004, 11:01 PM
I can almost make out the pictures.

I'll wait until they are posted on a site without such an overinflated ego...

Not Afraid
03-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by sambo

I'm with you there. I got half way through the pics and got too frustrated to continue.

AB Born
03-12-2004, 11:38 PM
The pics of the crashed train are scary!
It almost looks like something out of a horror movie. We only wish, right?

If Walt were still alive, I bet he would wish he was dead. But if he was still alive, would this have happened? Tragic.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Kevy Baby
Thanks for posting this Darkbeer.

And while I appreciate somebody posting these pictures, it sure would be nice to see them without the watermarks blocking most of the image :(

I am contemplating offering full access to the site with full size pictures and all the documents. I will need to charge a small fee to cover the cost of the report and all the scanning in order to keep the site up. Sorry about the watermarks, but I have to protect my time and money invested.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Andrew
Too bad they apparently felt it necessary to plaster their Web site's logo three times over each and every photo.

You know, DOSH (http://www.dir.ca.gov/dosh/dosh1.html) is a state agency, which means those photos are public property and not subject to copyright. It's probably illegal, and certainly unethical, to claim ownership the way they have.

The photos are not public property, but they are a part of a public record released on the accident. Once they become part of a publication they can then be subject to a copyright.

You are making a false claim here, nobody claimed ownership of these photos.

But you can not copy a publication of someone else's without permission, otherwise it could be copyright infringement. Best example, you see something in the newspaper or in a magazine and you copy it. Just because you paid a fee to view the newspaper, you do not own the rights to republish its works. Best example is someone copying a picture from playboy magazine, or a photographer's picture of a mountain. Even though the mountain is publish property, you don't have the right to copy someone else's publication.

Filing a copy of the publication ensures protection under Federal Copyright laws and fixed fines per infringement.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:10 AM
i agree the watermarks ruin the picture.....there is no reason for them to worry about having the pictures stolen! other people will just get there pics from sites where they can acsess them! lol! really its just a stupid move on the DOSH co.!

DOSH did not watermark the pictures, I did to protect my time and investment, but I've made it available to everyone here for FREE without asking a dime to reimburse me for my time spent.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by disneyscott
URL:

I find it funny that if you take the main part of the site rideinsder that it is block for that reason...what else is on the site to have it block this way?

Most hosts now use dynamic IP hosting, so they likely have another customer on their network, on the same Class C, or on the same server that may have objectionable material. I can assure you there is nothing of a mature nature on that domain, I am sorry they are blocking your access to it.

Mod Note: Excessive quoting deleted. When you're adding a short reply, please narrow down your quote to a concise, significant point.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by sambo

Be my guest....

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
I'm with you there. I got half way through the pics and got too frustrated to continue.

I am sorry they frustrated you so much, the supporting documents, audio files, diagrams, metallurgical and other portions of the report will be a little easier to see and less marked.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 06:15 AM
Originally posted by AB Born
The pics of the crashed train are scary!
It almost looks like something out of a horror movie. We only wish, right?

If Walt were still alive, I bet he would wish he was dead. But if he was still alive, would this have happened? Tragic.

What I find even more disturbing is that this all happened in a dark tunnel, just image the darkness, and sounds...it must have been a surreal experience.

Andrew
03-13-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Ride Insider
Best example, you see something in the newspaper or in a magazine and you copy it. Just because you paid a fee to view the newspaper, you do not own the rights to republish its works. Best example is someone copying a picture from playboy magazine, or a photographer's picture of a mountain. Even though the mountain is publish property, you don't have the right to copy someone else's publication.

I'm sorry, but you are quite mistaken, and the examples you mentioned are unrelated to the current matter of discussion. Of course it is a copyright violation to republish an AP photo from a newspaper, or scan a Playboy photo and put it up on the Internet--and the AP or Playboy will be on you right quick for doing so.

The difference here, as I said, is that DOSH is a state agency. That means it is funded by taxpayer dollars, which in turn means that the photos taken as part of a DOSH investigation are not covered by copyright and are public property.

You of course can alter them in any way you wish. Don't be surprised if someone else goes to great lengths to publish the photos without any such alteration.

Not Afraid
03-13-2004, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by Ride Insider
I am sorry they frustrated you so much, the supporting documents, audio files, diagrams, metallurgical and other portions of the report will be a little easier to see and less marked.

It's too bad your watermarks obscure the pictires. It would be easier to see the photos if the watermarks were on the lower corners.

As it is, the time you spent putting these photos on the internet is for naught. They are not very useful in their current state. I know one of the big Disney sites will publish these photos in a readable format, so I will be patient.

innerSpaceman
03-13-2004, 10:19 AM
Exactly. I plan to wait and, based on what I've read here, will not even bother to try to view them in their current state.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate Ride Insider's time and effort. Maybe, with new information (thanks Andrew) now in hand, they can put a little more effort into moving the watermarks out of the way, or removing them entirely.

And then they can let us know via ten or more consecutive posts.:fez:

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 10:23 AM
well excuse me for making the mistake between Co. And AGENCY! there really isnt a difference....or at least i dont think there is! big deal my point still came across, right? the watermarks do ruin the picture...in my opinion....but thats just how feel so yeah!

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Andrew
You of course can alter them in any way you wish. Don't be surprised if someone else goes to great lengths to publish the photos without any such alteration.

You are confusing public property and public record.

Mod Note: Excessive quoting deleted. If you're only adding a one sentence reply, please narrow down your quote to a concise, significant point.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid
It's too bad your watermarks obscure the pictires. It would be easier to see the photos if the watermarks were on the lower corners.

As it is, the time you spent putting these photos on the internet is for naught. They are not very useful in their current state. I know one of the big Disney sites will publish these photos in a readable format, so I will be patient.

I've considered redoing the images with less watermark opacity, that may help them be more visible and still protect the images. I appreciate your feedback.

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 02:43 PM
well excuse me for making the mistake between Co. And AGENCY! there really isnt a difference....or at least i dont think there is! big deal my point still came across, right? the watermarks do ruin the picture...in my opinion....but thats just how feel so yeah!

Thank you for your comments and feedback. Do you hate it when TV stations put their logo on their shows in the corner? Their branding and protecting their work really makes it hard for some to enjoy their content. It also makes it illegal to reproduce their mark without permission...I guess they are pretty smart afterall :-)

Ride Insider
03-13-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
And then they can let us know via ten or more consecutive posts.:fez:

Sorry for all the single replies, It is easier to respond one at a time for clarity's sake.

Mod Note: Excessive quoting deleted. If you're only adding a one sentence reply, please narrow down your quote to a concise, significant point.