PDA

View Full Version : Are Disney Hotels Really Worth The Cost And Hassle?

Pages : [1] 2

splashmtngurl
03-12-2004, 05:58 PM
i have heard that it costs quite a bit considering that you arent really in the hotel that often....i was just wondering what your oppinions were on staying in a disney hotel verses one of the locals casue i am writing a guide to disneyland and i need to know what peoples actual thoughts are so.........:confused: yeah!

Darkbeer
03-12-2004, 06:10 PM
My personal opinion is no, they are not worth the money....

Though I do price compare when I need a hotel, I find I can get a room at the Howard Johnson's for less, the walk is about the same distance as staying at the Paradise Pier, and I have the option of riding a shuttle if I stay at HoJo's. (Disney does not offer shuttles to their hotels).

Another reason I like HoJo's is the fact they offer free High Speed Internet access.

I use my hotel as a place to sleep, take a shower, and check the internet before/after being in the park.

Also, when I am looking for a cheap place, I have stayed at the Red Roof Inn, or Super 8. (Usually $40 or so a night).

stan4d_steph
03-12-2004, 06:16 PM
I would say that staying at a Disney hotel completes the whole experience. It just makes the trip that much more magical. For people who visit often, that may not be so much of a big deal so they may prefer to save on the hotel.

What kind of guide are you writing? The best way to write a guide is to get first hand knowledge, experience things yourself.

scanmom
03-12-2004, 06:22 PM
I don't think it would be worth a lot of $'s. We are staying at PPH for the 1st time this week (we arrive Sunday), but we got an AP rate of $59 for Sunday and $79 for mon-thur. I think for that price it is well worth it!

splashmtngurl
03-12-2004, 06:34 PM
for one i have already takin the expierence myself but, as an expierenced writer i know that i cant live on my opinion alone! my guide is a guide to disneyland where people can get the most for what they can afford.......differenent sections are based on different budgets and so on......but yeah! i stay at disney hotels and locals but still i need the opinion of other disney park goers, if you know what i mean!;)

sambo
03-12-2004, 11:10 PM
I've done both many times, Disney, and Non-Disney hotels.

I'd say you should do a Disney hotel for the complete experience at least once. Maybe more - especially with children.

But I have found them in general to be too expensive by comparison. The service is not extroardinary, and the rooms are somewhat lacking for the bucks.

I have had a much better time elsewhere...

Boingonut
03-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Last year my family won a free trip to Disneyland with a 4 night stay in the GCH. I had always stayed at the other hotel-motels around Disneyland, but after staying at GCH I was hooked becuase you feel like you never leave the park. Walking trough Downtown Disney to get to GCH is kind of a drag for me though because I am not a big shoper and hate the trendy modern music they play there because it kind of ruins the Disney experence. But if you stay in GCH, be sure not to stay in the part faceing Downtown Disney becuse they sometimes have live bands there that play until ten PM or later. I think by staying in the disney hotels you do get a much richer experence out of it, and if you are a big DCA fan GCH is great because of its private entrance. The price though is a lot, but if you live far away from Disneyland and don't go very often it is well worth the extra $$$. I moved to Califonia this year though so I probley won't stay at any of the hotels unless there is a passholder deal as there often are, although I have not had the time to take advantage of it but plan to before the off season is over!

SpaceMTJunkie
03-13-2004, 05:38 AM
Originally posted by splashmtngurl
Are Disney Hotels Really Worth The Cost And Hassle?

I can't say that I have ever had a "hassle" at a Disney hotel. Being a person that visits once a year, they are well worth the cost.

cirquelover
03-13-2004, 06:49 AM
We did not enjoy the Disneyland Hotel and it was a hassle!
I would much rather spend my money at an offsite hotel and feel like I'm wanted and appreciated. Plus the walk was enormous at the end of the day for the little one and the grandmother.
There are many offsite hotels that have bigger rooms, friendlier staff and many more dining options.

EandCDad
03-13-2004, 06:59 AM
Asking if something is worth the cost at a hotel is akin to asking if it is worth the cost to go to a nice restaurant for dinner. You can certainly eat enough to keep you alive anywhere, so you go to the nicer places for the experience. I think the Disney property hotels can be a good experience from time to time.

I've never had any hassel staying there. It was more of a hassel to stay off-property because of the shuttle schedules and so-forth.

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 10:17 AM
ok! my question appears to have come across wrong....it not a question of which one gives the most expierience but which one gets you the most bang for your buck! my guide is for families that are strapped on certain budgets! for the company that i write my guide for sends me on trips to DL and DW 1 time every 3 months..........they pay for my hotel (any disney hotel) and give me money for food and other things! if i go over that budget the money comes from my pocket! so i really want to know what hotel gets you the most for your money.....is it a DLR hotel or just a local?:p sorry it came across the wrong way!

Lekta
03-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Unreal!! You have the greatest job on EARTH, bar none! Getting paid to go to my favorite place 4 times per year!! How did you attain such a fantastic position, I must know?

Not Afraid
03-13-2004, 10:23 AM
IMO, satying on-property is the best experience there is. I wouldn't stay off-site at any of the Disney resorts.

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 10:59 AM
i was a good writer in school what can i say.........lol! i like on staying on property to but.......you haev to remember if i didnt always have my room and board payed for i probably woudnt stay there as much......

:p :p :p Hailey:p :p :p
(park guide writer)

stan4d_steph
03-13-2004, 11:03 AM
What guide do you write for?

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 11:08 AM
i am afraid i cant answer that......the first issue comes out in september though....i am forbidden to give out any info.....my family doesnt even know any of the stuff thats going to be in it! we are closley related to the Birnbaums best guide but of course not the same CO.

srry i coudnt help you more :crying:

(disney park guide author)

stan4d_steph
03-13-2004, 11:13 AM
What's the angle of your guide? There are already so many available. You should let us know what it is in Sept. when it's released so we can check it out.

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 11:18 AM
of course i will tell you in sept.

the angle of the guide is to help families who are on tight budgets and or have different interests......its to help them plan a fun and efficiant trip without having to worry about overspending or making a mistake (like missing something, etc.) it covers everything from resteraunts to stores, hopefully helping them to have a very positive trip!

hope that helps!

(disney park guide author)

TP2000
03-13-2004, 01:47 PM
i was a good writer in school what can i say

That "sentence" pretty much speaks for itself, doesn't it?

Not Afraid
03-13-2004, 03:04 PM
of course i will tell you in sept.

You're not doing an pre-release marketing? I would think a Disney travel site like MP would be a prime place to hype the book.

cemeinke
03-13-2004, 03:22 PM
ok! my question appears to have come across wrong....it not a question of which one gives the most expierience but which one gets you the most bang for your buck!

If you're looking for the cheapest digs, why not stay at home considering your home location is Anaheim.

As a Long Beach resident, I only stay at the resort to complete the Disney experience. That means a Disney Hotel, otherwise I just drive home.

If you're really from out of state you might find a cheaper place in Stanton.

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 03:37 PM
for one the book i am writing is not for me.....like i have said, its for families on low budgets or groups of alot of people! i do drive when i go but, when i go on my business trips (1 time every two months)the DRH's are already booked for my stay!

Second of all my punctuation isnt perfect because i am typing fast and could careless about it here! being a good writer doesnt mean you were perfect!

we arent hyping up the book because since it is a new guide, unlike birnbaums, we have to run it through a lot of different publishing tests and what not. the publisher with whom we have signed a contract will not publish the book unless it is to perfection, in fear of ruining their reputation! otherwise i would hype it up!

sorry if i have come across as rude but it seems to me that you are all way to critical, considering the fact that i have already given you enough info about the book, perhaps more then i should have! i dont know why i even to talk about it here! you tell me that it would be the perfect place to talk about the book but already i have been thought by many people as a lier!

Eventually i will tell you the set date the book will come out and perhaps give you more info but for now i think you have heard about as much as i can tell you!

(Disney Guide Author)

pisces
03-13-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd like to know what was meant by "Hassle"?

I live in the area, but haven't been to the resort in over 25 years; so I am treating myself to the GC next December. It's a ridiculous amount of money, and I already know that going in. Still, since I don't do this every day, or every year, it doesn't bother me that much.

Since it's been over 25 years for me, I figure I'm entitled to the full Disney experience, no matter what I have to pay for it.

But, if there's some other hidden "hassles" I'm not aware of, I'd like to know what they might be.

cemeinke
03-13-2004, 03:43 PM
for one the book i am writing is not for me.....like i have said, its for families on low budgets or groups of alot of people! i do drive when i go but, when i go on my business trips (1 time every two months)the DRH's are already booked for my stay!

Perhaps you should talk to your publisher about booking stays in some of the other hotels so you can write about them first hand?

splashmtngurl
03-13-2004, 03:46 PM
perhaps i should, i will talk to him! of course it probably wont matter, i believe we have other people stationed there, but i am not positive!